Hurricane Sandy

DownLoLarry

Any reports from the ground?

My understanding is that Sandy is fundamently different than most hurricanes and is being classified as a SuperStorm.

It's windspeed classiifes Sandy as only a Cat 1 Hurricane but because of low barometric pressure it's causing record breaking water surges.

Made landfall near Atlantic City and washed away some of the boardwalk.

A construction crane is dangling 74 stories above the ground in Manhattan.

It looks very bad at this point - major flooding and power outages.

Lower Manhattan flooded, parts of the East Side had the East River running through it. Water flooded to within a few hundred feet of Wall Street. Transformers poping, water reported in the Subways and Tunnels. We'll know more tomorrow when the sun rises, but they are worried about another round of flooding at high-tide tommorrow. Looks bad at the moment. And that's just part of NY.

I'm on the other side of the country but have been following it closely as I've got family back on the Jersey Shore and it was hammered hard as well.

It's pretty bad, worst shutdown I've ever seen of NYC barring a few blizzards & 9/11. Manhattan island literally became an island again as all bridges & tunnels & mass transit were shut down. Most of the bridges, & soon buses too, are starting up gradually later today. Almost total loss of power below 34th St, almost all of Long Island & huge parts of New Jersey without electricity as well. My family members out in the LI 'burbs are all without power & say the roads are full of debris or flooded.

Flooding is the main culprit: virtually all of NYC is islands, & lots of tunnels, houses, streets, etc., are heavily damaged, no trains will run soon, airport runways flooded.

I am over the East river, just far enough inland & high enough to avoid any major flooding &, despite some lights blinking during the powerful winds last night, never lost my power. :biggrin: I am now surrounded by unused batteries, candles & tubs of drinking water.

I will take a walk soon & see how things are here in the hood & try to make preps to get into Manhattan tomorrow by vehicle/bridge...me & a few other million or 2 trying to squeeze over the same 4 bridges at the same time. :sad0143:

I will take a walk soon & see how things are here in the hood

Take care out there. From the news reports over here it seems that most of the deaths have been of people going outside against the official advice, and being hit by falling branches, hoardings and power lines.

It has been commented on by British reporters over there that the USA, despite it's huge technological superiority, still has electricity mainly supplied by overhead cables, causing power outtages during storms to large numbers of people.

Thanks Sam for the offer, but I'd have to canoe up there, all air & land transport are out. And I suppose what's left of Sandy will visit you soon anyway, but I think much weaker. :character00292:

Quietguy, most virtually all of NYC's power & communications grid, as well as steam (for heat/aircon) & sewer are underground in mazes of tunnels, there is very little wire on poles until you start getting out to the suburbs, where they got knocked down. The NYC grid got flooded underground, or the above ground power substations got parts knocked down by wind or flooded with sea water. So it's not just a process of pumping them out but cleaning out the corrosive salt water contamination. Virtually all the power plants/stations I can think of are located near shoreline here.

The New York City Marathon is cancelled.

Lots of angry people pissed off that Mayor Bloomberg was even considering going ahead with the Marathon as planned.

Not sure if it was more of a logistical issue or rather a politically correct move?

Maybe the guys on the ground know if it would have been realistic or not to run on Sunday?

I'm nowhere near NYC but I have heard two reasons for the cancellation. On the TV news, they reported that the race was cancelled because it was insensitive to the survivors who wanted their needs addressed before the needs of any marathon runners.

That seems fair enough but I also read that to accommodate the runners, evacuees who are staying in local hotels & motels would be displaced by the runners & there was an outcry over the states priorities. I think that is the more likely reason. Images of people who have lost their homes being kicked out of their temporary accommodation would be disastrous for Mayor Bloomberg & anyone else looking for re-election.

The New York City Marathon is cancelled.

Lots of angry people pissed off that Mayor Bloomberg was even considering going ahead with the Marathon as planned.

Not sure if it was more of a logistical issue or rather a politically correct move?

Maybe the guys on the ground know if it would have been realistic or not to run on Sunday?

It was a stoopid move NOT to come out and cancel it. There was an expose in a NY paper yesterday at how the marathon folks were using these huge generators to power its hospitality tents and other frivolous bullshit. Had Sandy not hit thisclose to the marathon, they probably could ahve pulled it off. Some parts of Staten Island resemble Dresden after the war-The Big One WW II that is. These folks still are desparate for help and non so far has been forthcoming. They wanted to dump 47,000 people right near the Verrazzano Bridge?? No way. It was a dumb, insensitive move by the Mayor to stick to his guns and insist that the show would go on. In the end, they had no choice!!!