Broadway Musicals - anyone else a fan?

This seems like such a gay topic, but with various music threads usually getting a lot of response I thought I'd take the chance.

I've become a big fan of Broadway musicals. Not necessarily the older classic stuff, but the more modern (rock-oriented) stuff.

For example, I just bought a ticket to see "American Idiot" based on the Green Day album. I had to be in Seattle for business tomorrow so I checked online and found a front row ticket for Tuesday's show. This often happens as the promoter and cast return prime tickets in the first couple of rows to the box office a night or two before the show if they aren't going to be able to use them.

I think I've always loved very dramatic music - Pink Floyd and Genesis being classic examples - and my first two musical loves were The Beatles - Abbey Road and Jesus Christ Superstar (original studio recording) which featured Ian Gillan from Deep Purple in the role of Christ. Classic stuff.

I really payed no attention to Broadway though until around 1990 when I heard a friend playing Phantom Of the Opera, and found I liked it. Then I went to see Les Miserables and Miss Saigon within the same year and was hooked.

My favorite shows as of right now are Wicked, Rent, and Les Miserables. I've seen most of them on the west end in London, and then in touring productions. Never been to Broadway but will definitely do that in the next couple of years if only to see a few shows.

Another favorite that is little known to most of the world is Bombay Dreams. I stumbled upon it in it's first week on the west end in London with no expectations, and was blown away. Sadly it was a very expensive production and not very successful. They tried to bring it to Broadway but they completely retooled it for American audiences and removed much of what I loved about the show in the first place. All the music was written by A.R. Rahman, the famous Indian composer that's now so lauded for his score to Slumdog Millionaire.

Ok, so am I the only Broadway fan here?

Bombay Dreams:

Wicked:

Only ever seen the Cats musical on Broadway In my only visit to New York (memo must go back again sometime) .

I have seen a lot of shows in London's Drury lane Theatres . To many too mention Though stand outs include Les Miserables, Lion King, Let it Be, Singing in the Rain, On the town, Quadrophenia, Tommy and Miss Saigon.

Phantom of the Opera I saw in Melbourne in Australia.

The original Reno back in the 30's was Ethel Merman perhaps the best singer of the bunch. In the 2011 revival it's Sutton Foster who is without a doubt sexier and a better dancer than Merman or LuPone. Here's a montage form the latest revival showing comedic aspects of the show:

[media=]

[/media]

Lez Miz, Miss Saigon, JC Superstar, Little Shop Of Horrors, Rocky Horror, Hair, etc, all brilliant works in my oppinion.

I also love many of the rock operas and concept albums from the likes of The Who, Queensryche, ELO, Pink Floyd and Rush.

I'd love to see what the American Idiot production is like, because I think it's one of the best rock albums of the last 20 years.

I have been a fan of Musicals since the 1960s.

I agree that Les Miserables, Miss Saigon were terrific. The stage effects were incredible.

I saw Les Miserables when it opened in London (25+ years ago) and the press gave it a terrible review. Joe Public loved it and the rest is history.

The same team did a third called Martin Guerre which was also very good but sadly Joe Public did not flock to it.

Phantom of the Opera was great for effects as was Sunset Boulevard.

I also saw Mame (at Theatre Royal Drury Lane) with Ginger Rogers who I got to meet backstage

Now I live in Thailand I am missing the West End. The last show I saw was The Producers - hysterical.

I have seen Oliver, My Fair Lady, Lion King, Witches of Eastwick, Whistle Down the Wind, Starlight Express and a great number of others.

Musicals can be quite uplifting but there also seems to be a correlation between Dark musicals and the state of Society/Economy. Miserables/Phantom both came out at a bad time in the UK.

I agree that Les Miserables, Miss Saigon were terrific.

The same team did a third called Martin Guerre which was also very good but sadly Joe Public did not flock to it.

I actually saw a touring production of Martin Guerre and bought the score. Good, but no patch on either of their previous masterworks. They subsequently did a lavish pirate musical called The Pirate Queen which was a horrible flop. Bought the score and hated myself for it.

I'm massively excited for American Idiot tomorrow. Been listening to the soundtrack and although I loved the Green Day originals, the reved up production on the soundtrack turns all the knobs to 11.

It made me realize that what I love about good Broadway stuff is it's become the ultimate prog rock. I've always been a fan of huge melodies, crushing power chords, and massed productions which is why albums like Dark Side of the Moon, Empire, Operation Mindcrime, and their ilk have been at the top of my list. Conjure up a dramatic concept and then write a beautiful song, add a string arrangement, a 2nd guitar and 2 drummers, 2 or 3 harmony vocals, a choir, and a couple of keyboards and I'm in heaven. That's what the new Broadway productions do. With a great story (like all my favorite Concept Albums) you add some amazing dance and choregraphy - it's what the Beatles and Pink Floyd aspired to all those years ago.

Whew! Thanks for the replies, I was afraid I was going to be rode out on a rail for this one.

C'mon, you're hardly going out on a limb talking about musicals to a bunch of misfits like us.

Try going on a forum dedicated to Musicals and asking if anyone else has a fetish for girls with cocks and see if you get such an understanding reaction :biggrin:

Personally I've watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show more times than I can count but the only 'classic' musical I've watched all the way through (and really enjoyed) was West Side Story. I promised myself I'd watch some more after enjoying that but never got around to it.

Bloody hell DT, you like Queensryche as well?

Great stuff, I didn't think anyone on here would also be a fan!!!!

Oh, HELL yeah! I'm originally from Seattle y'know. I was living in Milwaukee when EMPIRE came out and could have seen the Operation Mindcrime show they filmed for MTV but stayed home, then got turned on to them a few weeks later and was kicking myself. I'd actually seen them open for Kiss in Seattle on the Queen of the Ryche EP tour, and have one of original 206 Records (self-produced) EPs. By the way "206" was the area code for Seattle and Bellevue, hence that's why they chose that as the name for their record label when they issued it.

The girl that used to cut my hair before I moved to Montana is next door neighbors to their new 2nd guitarist (the young guy - Gunner or something weird like that).

When I found out that they would give out autographs and backstage passes to Fanclub Members, I started buying a membership. Then everytime they played Seattle I'd get a backstage pass and a bunch of autographed stuff. I've got a ton of it around the house.

Empire was great, but they've never done anything to rival OPERATION MINDCRIME. One of my top 10 albums ever.

C'mon, you're hardly going out on a limb talking about musicals to a bunch of misfits like us.

Try going on a forum dedicated to Musicals and asking if anyone else has a fetish for girls with cocks and see if you get such an understanding reaction :biggrin:

Personally I've watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show more times than I can count but the only 'classic' musical I've watched all the way through (and really enjoyed) was West Side Story. I promised myself I'd watch some more after enjoying that but never got around to it.

Ok, here's your assignment then: go rent or download the theatrical version of "Rent". It should be a good starter for you on the next phase of your enlightenment. Think you'll really enjoy it.

If that's a winner then purchase the soundtrack to "Wicked" and give it a serious listen. Don't give up on first listen, but give it some time (at least 4-5 listens) and see if you aren't a fan.

Please check back, I'd love to get your feedback on the results.

Huge fan here..

Producers, Hair Spray (sat 2 rows behind Robin Williams), Miss Saigon, Rent (twice).. among others.

All in NYC.

Bax, I should have known. A man with your style would have to have good taste. Man, we gotta meet up. Hope you'll consider making the GOTC III on February 2!

Ok, here's your assignment then: go rent or download the theatrical version of "Rent". It should be a good starter for you on the next phase of your enlightenment. Think you'll really enjoy it.

If that's a winner then purchase the soundtrack to "Wicked" and give it a serious listen. Don't give up on first listen, but give it some time (at least 4-5 listens) and see if you aren't a fan.

Please check back, I'd love to get your feedback on the results.

Ok, thanks for the recommendations. Both are downloading as we speak :hi:

Regarding RENT - they've made a film out of it, faithful to the Broadway production and using most of the original cast. I meant you should rent or download the video of the film and watch it - a big part of the attraction is the dance/choreography and sets.

Just got home from AMERICAN IDIOT. Some great tunes and a few spectacular, breathtaking moments in the staging. I also got an email that the boss needs me to stay through the weekend (it's great being back "home" again for a bit - I really do miss Seattle!) so I went ahead and bought a ticket for the afternoon performance on Sunday as well. 4th row center this time.

If you get a chance to see it I'd recommend it. Bring hearing protection thought, it's fucking LOUD!