Big Brother is watching

Holy cow. I had to contact the tax dept for some info yesterday, and they said we have to ask for some information to verify you.

First question was,"when did you last leave and enter the country?. I thought what the hell?. I gave them an approximate answer and she said ok, on to the next question.

How scary is that????.

Next thing will be. Who did I sleep with when I was away?.

Where is it going to end?.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Woodie said:

First question was,"when did you last leave and enter the country?. I thought what the hell?. I gave them an approximate answer and she said ok, on to the next question.

These days a lot of information about us is on computers. Not just Government computers either. Anytime you buy, or look at anything, online it will be stored on a computer somewhere.

If you bought your airline tickets online, which you probably did, it will be recorded somewhere. Which means you will probably get those pop up ads for 'looking for Thai women'.

The Government will also have your dates of leaving and returning your country from the passport scans at the airport. The Thai Government and passport control will also have those from their airport passport scans, and also records of any criminal convictions and bans from the country - that's why it's a relief now when we see the picture of a smiling Thai lady and 'Welcome to Thailand' come on the screen after we scan our passports.

The tax department was using that to confirm it was really you. Here we usually have to give our date of birth and National Insurance number which many people won't remember.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Duncan said:

Use the TOR network for Christ sake if you don't want to be tracked.
It's not rocket science.

Ok, so when you leave the country you tell the customs officials etc., that you want your info put through the TOR Network so that the government cant track you. Is that what you are saying?.

For Christs sake how would that work for Christs sake?.

46 minutes ago, stoolpusher said:

Probably ten years ago now they got a well known Australian actor at the airport for tax evasion when he was about to leave Australia for his home in the US, they held his passport until he sorted it out .

There is always someone watching. 

Is that the guy with the big knife???.

20 hours ago, Woodie said:

Ok, so when you leave the country you tell the customs officials etc., that you want your info put through the TOR Network so that the government cant track you. Is that what you are saying?.

For Christs sake how would that work for Christs sake?.

One can't fix stupid.
Use google to find out what the TOR browser is. I can't be arsed anymore by the supidity and lazyness on here.

8 hours ago, Duncan said:

One can't fix stupid.
Use google to find out what the TOR browser is. I can't be arsed anymore by the supidity and lazyness on here.

What an ignorant comment, and one better not made on this forum. It may sum you up?.

How the hell can a TOR browser stop the government collecting your information such as when you board a plane?. Phew!.

I think your comment was addressing something I wasn't alluding to. We all know that Big Brother can track stuff if they want to, but collecting info on when we leave the country was not on my radar. TOR would do nothing to address that. By the way I did look up TOR on google when you first mentioned it but was not relevant to what I was saying.

We dont fill in cards when we depart now. That was changed some time ago. They just get any info they want from Passports and tickets.

Also I think the tone of your comments belongs on that "other" forum, not on this one. Just behave yourself!.

• Like 3

Don't worry about it Woodie. I actually did look it up on google, because not all of us are rocket scientists like our friend Duncan. But he's from Germanistan, so that may explain his rather short, terse answer. Politeness is not taught in schools there.

I hope Big Brother is watching him closely.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, cobber32 said:

Don't worry about it Woodie. I actually did look it up on google, because not all of us are rocket scientists like our friend Duncan. But he's from Germanistan, so that may explain his rather short, terse answer. Politeness is not taught in schools there.

I hope Big Brother is watching him closely.

But I am BIG Brother. You knew that. Haha

• Like 1

@Woodie.
My latest comment was a bit harsh I admit and I apologize for that.
Of course the TOR browser cannot protect your identity when leaving or entering a country when you have to present yout passport,
but TOR can prevent that you are followed in the internet and have all your activity recorded.
Another good measure is not to use the google seach engine. They track everything. I recommend duckduckgo.com

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Duncan said:

@cobbers32
Yes, I'm fron Germanistan. English is a second language to me so forgive me if I didn't find the right wording.
I'm not a rocket scientist, but I work in IT security. Apologies if it went down the wrong way.

Fair play to you for apologising.

On this other issue of internet security, I've heard it said elsewhere that it's best to avoid Google. And for that matter Wikipedia has problems too (not related to tracking but to its reliability as a reference source) ...

You recommend duckduck.com. as a search engine. Are there others?

Thanks in advance..

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Fair play to you for apologising.

On this other issue of internet security, I've heard it said elsewhere that it's best to avoid Google. And for that matter Wikipedia has problems too (not related to tracking but to its reliability as a reference source) ...

Thanks in advance..

Take your pick:https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/best-private-search-engines-true-no-log-services/
My favourite is and stays the duck.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Duncan said:

@Woodie.
My latest comment was a bit harsh I admit and I apologize for that.
Of course the TOR browser cannot protect your identity when leaving or entering a country when you have to present yout passport,
but TOR can prevent that you are followed in the internet and have all your activity recorded.
Another good measure is not to use the google seach engine. They track everything. I recommend duckduckgo.com

Thanks for that Duncan

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

Try using a Browser that doesn't log your search history such as Brave browser it's still based on the Chromium engine hence just like using Google chrome but without the tracking, pair this with using the Duck as Duncan mentioned and you have a good set up. Here is another one that you can check out .  https://www.qwant.com/       https://swisscows.com/              :drinks:

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Duncan said:

@cobbers32
Yes, I'm fron Germanistan. English is a second language to me so forgive me if I didn't find the right wording.
I'm not a rocket scientist, but I work in IT security. Apologies if it went down the wrong way.

Well, good for you mate. Apology to Woodie was a nice gesture. And we all have bad days, even when English is our first language. 

No problem; we move on. All the best Duncan.

• Like 3