Renting A Scooter In Pattaya

deepthroat

Hi all,

Having spent years as a Night Owl, I now find in my 5th decade that I am no longer able to stay up until 5am and sleep until 2pm. Haven't in many years now, and find that if I roll out of bed after 10am I feel sorta crappy.

What that means is that I find myself rolling around Pattaya in the late morning and early afternoon with very little to do, what with the dearth of exciting activities to partake of in Pattaya before about 8pm.

I've decided that what I really ought to do is rent a scooter, and use that to get the hell out of Dodge during the day and find awesome beaches to swim and relax at during the day. In days of yore when dinosaurs ruled the earth (before I discovered LOS) I used to go to Mexico every winter for a long vacation,and I'd spend hours at the beach either swimming in the surf or reading in the shade. I've never really tried that in LOS but I think this next trip is the one to start doing some of that again. Having a scooter should free me to explore the area within an hour or two of Pattaya and should make me appreciate the night time activities that much more!

Anyone got any experience they can share on this topic? Any advice and warnings? Suggested beaches, temples or other destinations I should put on my list? Do I need to worry about someone stealing the scooter if I'm out in the surf on some isolated beach?

My plan is to use the scooter during the dull daylight hours, and then park it back at my room before the evening insanity. I actually like walking so I'll revert to the baht bus and my legs for getting around town in the evenings.

P.S. - Before Siam Sam jumps my ass for saying I discovered LOS, no - I didn't mean it that way. I know Al Gore actually discovered LOS.

I'd spend hours at the beach either swimming in the surf or reading in the shade.

you just precisely described my last 5 winters! well, if you throw in an Ipod loaded up with 5000 songs as well....

your bike will be safe pretty much anywhere you go outside of Pattaya.....from my experience 'cycle theft is very rare. Not sure of the good beaches to hit in that area as I rarely go to Pattaya, but I would guess Rayong and the beaches south of there would be nice and secluded, or maybe a bit further north around Naklua; even Jomtien seems kind of over-run these days so the further away from Pattaya proper you get, the better of course. Pig Dogg and some of the other regulars would know better exactly which beaches to hit in that area.

I've been renting various-sized 'cycles in many different locales in Thailand for over a decade now with never a problem [knock on wood]; they are cheap, easily available, easy to ride, and seriously the best way to get around during the day.

Deepthroat, you want either 'Direk' Soi Buckhow, they've got two shops on the way to South Pattaya just past Soi Dianna or 'TE Nakrua' 115/27 Nakrua Rd.

You can trust both of these companies, I've been using both of them for years & they're both really fair... The rare form of businesses that understand taking care of the customer is the way to go!

Please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaase do not use anyone else!!! It's a fucking minefield out there!.. And don't under any circumstances hand your passport over as security, that's the first sign that someone's going to be looking for an opportunity to trip you up. :hi:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'd heard the advice about not giving out the passport before, so this confirms the received wisdom, thanks.

Lung, I'll probably hit you up for additional info on how to find this/these places sometime in January just before I leave.

Now, assuming all goes well and I rent a scooter - where the hell should I go on it?

Pig Dogg and some of the other regulars would know better exactly which beaches to hit in that area.

I love riding motobikes but won't do so in the Pattaya area. So I don't know the good the beaches that you can bike to.

Ko Larn has a decent beach and you can get there by a quick cheap ferry.

The area of Jomtien where the ladyboy competition was held is pretty good because there's no vehicular traffic.

Some say Cozy Beach in Jomtien is nice, but no baht busses go there.

Riding a motorbike in Pattaya? My limited experience tells me that if you are not a regular rider at home don't try it on holiday...Especially here...Walking in Pattaya is a dangerous enough exercise for me...

Be very very very careful DT...And make certain that you have all the locals' cell numbers handy in the event of an emergency...

Personally I wouldn't do it DT. I agree with Kahuna.

If you want to occupy your day hours with exploring and sight-seeing why not hire a taxi for number of hours a day. I am sure it would be affordable and certainly a whole lot safer. But then again you never listen to me. You remind me of Jim.

Ah fuck... words of wisdom and all that. You guys are probably right, but I've sorta got my heart set on this idea.

No, I'm not a rider here (and haven't been in 30 years) so you're absolutely right. I shouldn't try it in Pattaya. And combined with PD's comment that he won't risk it despite living there, it gives me pause.

Still, I keep thinking "it can't be that bad" if I'm extremely careful and limit it to out-of-Pattaya travel with VERY limited driving in Patts.

If you got your heart set on it DT, you should do it...

There ain't nothing worse than an unset heart...

Just be very careful, no booze, go slow, stay as far left on the road as you can and be alert...

Perhaps, if you just happen to run into the perfect companion to spend the day snuggling with on a deserted beach, you can have her drive...

Now there is a beach to the south I've been to about 3 or 4 times...called Bang SaRay as I recall...Never did any beach sitting but some great fresh fish restaurants so I did some eating...lots of eating...Its about 10 or 15 clicks from Pattaya...Just get on Sukhumvit and head south til you see the signs to the village...You'll be turning right off Sukhumvit...

Reminds me of villages south of Tijuana like Puerto Nuevo if you know it...

A little father down is another fishing village called Bang Ampher I think...I ain't never been there but others said it was very nice as well also with many fresh fish restaurants...

BTW..these are not deserted beaches...There are houses and condos around...

Ah fuck... words of wisdom and all that. You guys are probably right, but I've sorta got my heart set on this idea.

No, I'm not a rider here (and haven't been in 30 years) so you're absolutely right. I shouldn't try it in Pattaya. And combined with PD's comment that he won't risk it despite living there, it gives me pause.

Still, I keep thinking "it can't be that bad" if I'm extremely careful and limit it to out-of-Pattaya travel with VERY limited driving in Patts.

Depthroat, I'm going to be in Patts the same time as you, so as long as you can stomach my company, come out with out for a couple of rides if you like & I can slowly ease you in (so to speak) & at least show you how to ride as defensively as possible here.

The one saving grace is that the traffic moves really slow here so you can usually see problems before they happen... The real trouble starts late at night at the weekends when the Thais get on the piss... And that can shit the fuck out of me in spite of being on two wheels most of my life!

BTW, as a rule I'd most definitely agree with kahuna, but Pattay's a bit of an exception owing to the baht buses. They're complete shitdogs & they'll just pull in in front of you without any warning, so in this town at least, best sick to the middle or right hand lanes!

Ko Larn has a decent beach and you can get there by a quick cheap ferry.

The ferry to Koh Larn is 30 baht. You can rent a scooter on Koh Larn to get around. Abut 200 baht per day. The roads there are OK, no potholes (because no trucks) and no gravel parts. They are a bit hilly in 2 places, just go slow. (Nowhere near the steepness of any of the hills on Koh Phan Ghan).

Depthroat, I'm going to be in Patts the same time as you, so as long as you can stomach my company, come out with out for a couple of rides if you like & I can slowly ease you in (so to speak) & at least show you how to ride as defensively as possible here.

The one saving grace is that the traffic moves really slow here so you can usually see problems before they happen... The real trouble starts late at night at the weekends when the Thais get on the piss... And that can shit the fuck out of me in spite of being on two wheels most of my life!

BTW, as a rule I'd most definitely agree with kahuna, but Pattay's a bit of an exception owing to the baht buses. They're complete shitdogs & they'll just pull in in front of you without any warning, so in this town at least, best sick to the middle or right hand lanes!

I'll probably take you up on that, I appreciate the offer. I've never seen anyone use "shit the fuck out of me" before, very imaginative use!

Oh God I can just see it now. Unc piloting the motorbike with DT in the sidecar looking like Jack Nickelson wearing the football helmet in Easy Rider. Life ain't gonna get much better than that. :friends:

I rode in Crabby's sidecar once but it was only from Day/Night to Soi VC.

Renting a bike in Ko Larn is an excellent idea. Then the next day in Pattaya you'll be already used to a bike and can concentrate on the traffic. Riding on Ko Larn is so easy it's like using training wheels, not to be confused with a femboy's training bra. :blink:

Make sure you rent a bike with an electronic starter.

There are pros and cons to a full automatic like the Honda Click to a semi=automatic like the Honda Wave or Honda Dream where you shift gears but there's no clutch. I prefer the Honda Wave mainly because there's a footbreak.

Riding with the Lungster is a good idea as he's an excellent driver but then so was the Rainman. :D

And if you forget your helmet, wear a condom.

I've never seen anyone use "shit the fuck out of me" before, very imaginative use!

Sorry, that's my South London 'patwa' coming out again... But yeah, it shits me up man!

And yeah, I'd go with PDogg on having a preference for a Honda Wave rather than a scooter... And it's a cheaper option too!.. But as he says, pros & cos for both, I just feel safer with larger wheels & having a bit more control over the bike myself.

Ok Sam, looks like I'm going to be Dennis Hopper all over again :crazy:

Renting a bike in Ko Larn is an excellent idea. Then the next day in Pattaya you'll be already used to a bike and can concentrate on the traffic. Riding on Ko Larn is so easy it's like using training wheels, not to be confused with a femboy's training bra. :blink:

Make sure you rent a bike with an electronic starter.

There are pros and cons to a full automatic like the Honda Click to a semi=automatic like the Honda Wave or Honda Dream where you shift gears but there's no clutch. I prefer the Honda Wave mainly because there's a footbreak.

And the good thing is you can Rent a Motorbike on enterance on one Port of Ko Larn,and if you get lost and end up departing back to Pattaya at another Port its no ploblem,

I called the guy (hirer) told him the situation and he just said to me, leave the Bike in the Car park and the keys in the ignition B)

post-136-037253700 1317404514.jpg

I just wondered if any of you lads could please help me out?

I am currently staying in Pattaya & I'm desperate to get off the booze for a night & have at least a semi civilized night on koh Larn with some company.

Anyone know of any reasonably priced 'guest' friendly hotels?