9/11 Where were you?

bumblebee

• 11 months later...

I was home from work recovering from an appendectomy; normally I would have been at work that whole day.

Woke up at 9:30 or so, booted up the PC and my buddy in Florida started sending me messages [this was back in the AOL days] to turn on the TV, so I did and it was all over the tube of course. News flashes were all over my slow, dial-up internet also.

That whole day seemed unreal and seemed to be moving in slow motion, of course I kept the news on the whole time and just thought to myself "what the hell is happening to this country?"

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

Cant believe its 13 years since 9/11, if someone had asked me a few days ago how long ago was 9/11 I would probably have said 6 or 7 years ago

My first trip to Thailand was in July 2001 and my first Ladyboy experience was in August 2004, how time flies :shok:

I just remember turning on the TV News at home and watching all this horror unfold,

RIP to all those who lost their lives

I still harbor a bit of lingering anger...Same as I still feel the sharp needles of Pearl Harbor..........

I know that it is not healthy but complete forgiveness is simply not in me.......

Someday the anger will die with my death......

Until then...................................................

I still harbor a bit of lingering anger...Same as I still feel the sharp needles of Pearl Harbor..........

I know that it is not healthy but complete forgiveness is simply not in me.......

I watched  two 9/11 programmes on TV a couple of nights back, one of which which were recordings of footage and conversations with Air Traffic Control, passengers and Air Stewardesses of all 4 hijacked planes, the other footage of the World Trade Center buildings and dialogue between the FDNY, NYPD and others, I wont print here what my thoughts were afterwards only to say I for one would not blame you if you were still a little angry brother Kahuna

One thing I remember I was a member then of the internet mailing list asfo which, to those unfamiliar, was a unequalled source of info on traveling to asia to enjoy the local fleshpots since before the time of the www, beginning back when usenet was the place to go. (It may very well still survive?)

What I remember is 2 of the prolific contributors - #1 had a special interest in Japanese women & was a good resource for that scene & he lived downtown east of ground zero near the river. He obviously had to evacuate at some point since there were no utilities or services & everything was covered with potentially toxic soot. But he sent out regular dispatches from somewhere until he had to abandon his place, it was a very up close & personal account of the ordeal.

#2 - Was from the South & recounted he jsut happened to be in the city on business & in a meeting that day near the WTC when things happened. His daughter worked nearby & he rushed out to get to her when the enormity of what was happening became clear. He rushed outside to get to her office & woke up a day later in the hospital. He apparently was hit by a piece of debris when the first tower collapsed. Obviously he was very lucky otherwise.

I often wonder about the amount of undocumented workers that are paid in cash, or work just for tips & deliver food to offices (very big down there where folks start work early & eat at their desks) or work in kitchens or other menial jobs who probably disappeared that day with no trace. They just disappeared forever from the life of their families in Mexico or China, etc... 

• Upvote 1

I agree with all of this. Besides Pearl Harbor, I'll include the invasion of the Philippines and the fact that those Jap sons of bitches still ain't owned up to the atrocities they committed there. It also bothers me though how some Filipinos want to sweep it all under the rug, so as to not offend Jap tourists or potential investors. It also perplexes me how so many Filipinas I've talked to, know so little about WW2 and what happened there, at that time, in their own country. I probably knew more about it when I was 10, than most of them do now. 

Before the end of the war though 6 of the 8 battleships damaged or sunk at Pearl Harbor, were refloated, and/or repaired and returned to service. This list includes the West Virginia. California, Nevada, Tennessee, Maryland, and Pennsylvania (which while damaged remained in service) All those battleships, except the Nevada, and along with the Mississippi were part of the 7th Fleet Support force at the Battle of Surigao Strait, under the command of Rear Admiral Jesse Oldendorf, and were the last naval force to "cross the T" in battle and laid waste to the Jap's Southern Force as they attempted to reach Leyte Gulf and stop the supplies for our army landing force from getting through. Also, by the end of the war, every god damn Jap ship that was part of the Pearl Harbor attack was sunk. That'll teach them sons of bitches from waking the sleeping giant. 

• Upvote 1

If you're angry about the P.I. you should be even more angry what they did in China, specifically Nanking.

They went through that country with a scorched-earth policy. Here's just one example of how evil those bastards were;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest_to_kill_100_people_using_a_sword

'' The contest to kill 100 people using a sword is a wartime account of a contest between two Japanese army officers during the Japanese invasion of China over who could first kill 100 people with a sword.''   Great guys, they lined up captured Chinese soldiers and cut off their heads one-by-one; imagine being number 99 or 100 in that line-up?

And since they were disarmed by us and the allies and they don't have the need to arm a standing army all they have done is build their economy into one of the strongest in the world.  Can anyone who reads here honestly say there is not ONE thing in their driveway or in their home which is not made in Japan? 

• Upvote 2

If you're angry about the P.I. you should be even more angry what they did in China, specifically Nanking.

They went through that country with a scorched-earth policy. Here's just one example of how evil those bastards were;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest_to_kill_100_people_using_a_sword

'' The contest to kill 100 people using a sword is a wartime account of a contest between two Japanese army officers during the Japanese invasion of China over who could first kill 100 people with a sword.''   Great guys, they lined up captured Chinese soldiers and cut off their heads one-by-one; imagine being number 99 or 100 in that line-up?

And since they were disarmed by us and the allies and they don't have the need to arm a standing army all they have done is build their economy into one of the strongest in the world.  Can anyone who reads here honestly say there is not ONE thing in their driveway or in their home which is not made in Japan? 

Hell yes. The Chinese though, they don't forget, or worry about appeasing the Japs. 

Anti Jap war films in China are a plenty and of 150 films made last years in Chollywood (Hengdian) around 1/3 were anti Jap films

China Daily have a newpaper in English called China watch( i have it here hence this post), it reported today that in one month alone last year 10,881 Japs were counted killed in war films ....of 300,000 extras in Hengdian over 60% were playing Japanese Soldiers .( in what other Country could you rustle up this many extras)

It seems the Films are not always factual , and thats the Govt verdict . The Govt have asked for films to be toned down a bit but probably secretly dont care

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

I worked at 7 WTC, the third building to go down.

Just like Hefe, in a stroke of good luck, our company moved out of there around Memorial Day of that year.

What a beautiful day, stopped at a coffee truck to buy a couple dozen donuts to bring to work as I had won a football pool that week.

Then went underground. When i came back up a bunch of people were looking up at the sky. Looked up and saw smoke pour out of one of the towers. Somehow the seriousness of the situation did not register.

Went up to my office and lots of people looking at the fire as we had an excellent view from a high floor. After a minute, went to send out a short email saying "the donuts have arrived".

About a minute later one woman was going hysterical and I held her and told her to try to relax and breathe. I went to the window and people were saying a plane crashed into the second tower.

A few minutes later we evacuated the building but the train wasn't running so about 10 of us went to a nearby coworker's apartment and watched the news for a few hours.

One way over a buddy said, look how strong those buildings are, they may be burning but nothing can bring them down, not the finest prediction.

In the late afternoon, went back to my office as I couldn't yet get back across the river. Office was deserted except for one other friend and we were hanging out watching 7 WTC, our old home, as we heard it may be going down but after a while got tired of staring at the static scene and was reading news on the net.

We left the building in the evening when the train was running again. I asked her if she wanted to stay with me that night. She declined. I was never in danger but a day I will never forget.