Mandatory Registration Of Thai Sim Cards

pdogg

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) now orders all mobile phone operators to require mandatory registration of all owners of prepaid SIM cards  by end of July, otherwise their phone use will be cut off.

The mandatory registration of prepaid SIM cards by the NBTC was decided for security reason as many unregistered SIM  cards had been used by southern insurgents in igniting bomb explosions,  and some were used to deceive the people.

The NBTC held a meeting with five state and private mobile phone operators today and reached an agreement that the service providers will notify their prepaid customers to produce identification documents for registration of their SIM cards from February 1 to July 31.

Failure to register their prepaid SIM cards, service providers will cut off their phone signals, thus disrupting their outgoing calls and Internet connections.

However they still can use the phones to  receive call for a certain period. At present there are 90 million prepaid users but only 1.7 million have registered.

Meanwhile the NBTC said it will hold a public forum to sound out opinions from the people on the per second call charge to be introduced before mandating all operators to replace their per minute call charge to per second call charge.

It also said that by February 14, all phone operators will roll out per-second call charge promotion packages to their customers as part of the “Returning Happiness to the People” scheme of the military junta.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nbtc-now-mandates-owners-prepaid-sim-cards-register-security-reason

I hope they get this figured out before I get out of here. I've managed to keep the same number for three years. I'm sure many of you much longer. It's really hoses up access to my bank account when I'm home without a valid Thai phone number.

Several years ago when they tried this, you could continue to top up your phone (if it had an old unregistered number) to keep the sim from expiring. I would think that may still be the case with the latest attempt.

Also the sim service provider probably has options where you can get a longer expiry date and less credit (or vice versa), when you top up.

Several years ago when they tried this, you could continue to top up your phone (if it had an old unregistered number) to keep the sim from expiring. I would think that may still be the case with the latest attempt.

Also the sim service provider probably has options where you can get a longer expiry date and less credit (or vice versa), when you top up.

I use AIS and can call *500*9# to top up for 30 days for 30 baht. This can be repeated as many times as one whats to extend the SIM. Usually the day before I leave I top up far enough into the future my SIM will still be active for my next planned return. So in that respect I should be able to keep my SIM alive. We will see how the registration BS goes.

BTW when I first got my SIM, and all the AIS SIMs before it, when I would top up 100 baht I got seven days and 300 baht got me 30 days. Somewhere along the line I started getting 30 days for a 100 baht top up. Maybe when I started topping up with my bank account? Or maybe things just changed. At any rate a few 100 baht top ups while in LOS gives me a few more months so I need to add less months before I leave. I haven't topped up 300 baht in so long I'm not sure how much extra time that might give me?

Xy, without the phone number I know u can't make transfers but do you need the phone number to view your account?

I can do passive things like look at my account total, etc. But anything active, including even going to the screen that contains my personal details, requires a SMS code. If for some unforeseen reason I needed to do an emergency top up from home to keep my SIM alive I would need the SMS code.

• Upvote 1

With True sims, it is possible to buy the top up receipt codes from 7/11 (ask for them to be printed on paper). Once you're back home you can top up just before the expiry dates to keep your sim active.

I am not 100% sure that will work with AIS/DTAC, but it probably does.

I use AIS and can call *500*9# to top up for 30 days for 30 baht. This can be repeated as many times as one whats to extend the SIM. Usually the day before I leave I top up far enough into the future my SIM will still be active for my next planned return. So in that respect I should be able to keep my SIM alive. We will see how the registration BS goes.

BTW when I first got my SIM, and all the AIS SIMs before it, when I would top up 100 baht I got seven days and 300 baht got me 30 days. Somewhere along the line I started getting 30 days for a 100 baht top up. Maybe when I started topping up with my bank account? Or maybe things just changed. At any rate a few 100 baht top ups while in LOS gives me a few more months so I need to add less months before I leave. I haven't topped up 300 baht in so long I'm not sure how much extra time that might give me?

I also have a AIS SIM in my inexpensive phone I use only in Thailand.  I've had the same number for two years, doing what xyzzy does.  I've discovered that when my 30 days are up, the phone number is still active and people can call me but I can't make calls.  I get a message saying that I need to top up to make calls.  I know that I have gone at least up to a month with the phone in this status before topping up to reactivate my ability to make calls.  I don't know how long you can go like this before you finally lose that SIM's number altogether and need to get a new SIM.

Also, anyone in Thailand with your phone number can top that number up for you before you arrive.  This can be handy as you have a fully working phone the minute you touch down in Thailand.  Of course, if you email someone to top up your phone for you they will logically assume that you will see them on your upcoming trip.  There is "explaining" to do if this turns out not to be the case.  It's not important for me to go into further details about this... :rolleye0012:

• Upvote 1

Do you have any details on the mechanics of this SoiBoy?

OK, this what sweetie wrote to me this morning (adorable misspellings unedited):

Good morning good morning!!!

Hi [soiboy] yes I had a good sleep last night and hope you too, yes I away dream of you!!!

Ok first I can top up in 7-11 and put your number on machine and tell catcher how much you want to top up

Second is buy card for ais. or what ever for your phone use and if ais. First you have to put *120* and put code on card or do what that card say

ok?

So, she apparently goes to a 7-11 and buys a certain amount of top up, but needs to type my number into some keypad first because it is not her number she is topping up.  I think I've noticed these keypads at the cash registers.  I had thought that for AIS there was a particular "star" number that you dialed when you wanted to top up a number other than the one you are calling from, then enter that number and then enter the long code number for that particular baht/time purchase, but I guess not.

(Ahhh, she dreams of me... :happy0148: lol)

• Upvote 1

just curious...

in the PH i could transfer airtime money from my phone to another phone on the same network (Globe i think is what i used) just by texting a 2, the # i was sending money to, and the amount of money i was sending. something like (if i wanted to transfer 200pesos)  2-xxx-xxxx-200.

please do *not* trust the accuracy of those #'s, but i am certain i transferred monies several times in the past, as i waited to board my flight home knowing i wouldn't return in time to use the left-over time on my phone.

if this option were available in the LOS, you might be able to 'top up' just by having a buddy (or a teerak) send you a text.

just curious...

in the PH i could transfer airtime money from my phone to another phone on the same network (Globe i think is what i used) just by texting a 2, the # i was sending money to, and the amount of money i was sending. something like (if i wanted to transfer 200pesos)  2-xxx-xxxx-200.

please do *not* trust the accuracy of those #'s, but i am certain i transferred monies several times in the past, as i waited to board my flight home knowing i wouldn't return in time to use the left-over time on my phone.

if this option were available in the LOS, you might be able to 'top up' just by having a buddy (or a teerak) send you a text.

It's been some years back but I gave a GG some of my minutes in the PH as I wasn't going to use them before I left. It would only let her transfer a small amount each transaction which she did over and over. A measure to keep from having a big chuck of minutes stolen if I remember correctly. But as I say it's been a while. 

You can buy top up service on both eBay and Amazon for AIS 12 Call..........Likely some private services as well.................

You pay the charge and send them your phone number and somehow they top your phone up in Thailand

while you are home snuggled up in bed........

They claim to be approved/registered with/by AIS and have some magic wand or code or something.........

• Upvote 1

With regard to AIS, either they now have an agreement with AT&T, or I just never noticed it before.  When I got back home last week I turned on my "Thailand" phone to check its battery level.  I noticed on the screen that instead of saying "no service" where it says "AIS" when in Thailand it now said "AT&T".  That got me curious so I called Pattaya sweetie's number.  Sure enough the number rang and sweetie answered the phone and immediately said rather abruptly, "Where are you?"  I said, "I'm home!  My phone works from America!  Aren't you happy to hear from me?"  There was a pause.  She was suspicious that I had pulled a fast one and was still in Thailand!  "Why I see your number?  You still in Thailand?", she warily asked.  I was half way through trying to explain that AIS and AT&T must have a deal now together, but the phone call ended and I got a message that I was out of time.  I knew I only had about 120 baht left, and we had only been talking about 3 minutes or so, so the charges are expensive at ~30-40 baht a minute.  I quickly called her back from my home phone and that assured her that I was indeed home as that number appeared on her screen.  Whew!

• Upvote 2

With regard to AIS, either they now have an agreement with AT&T, or I just never noticed it before.  When I got back home last week I turned on my "Thailand" phone to check its battery level.  I noticed on the screen that instead of saying "no service" where it says "AIS" when in Thailand it now said "AT&T".  That got me curious so I called Pattaya sweetie's number.  Sure enough the number rang and sweetie answered the phone and immediately said rather abruptly, "Where are you?"  I said, "I'm home!  My phone works from America!  Aren't you happy to hear from me?"  There was a pause.  She was suspicious that I had pulled a fast one and was still in Thailand!  "Why I see your number?  You still in Thailand?", she warily asked.  I was half way through trying to explain that AIS and AT&T must have a deal now together, but the phone call ended and I got a message that I was out of time.  I knew I only had about 120 baht left, and we had only been talking about 3 minutes or so, so the charges are expensive at ~30-40 baht a minute.  I quickly called her back from my home phone and that assured her that I was indeed home as that number appeared on her screen.  Whew!

You can receive free texts in the US on AIS as long as international roaming is turned on. As mentioned before I do that sometimes for access to my Thai bank account. My phone connects to the T-Mobile network but has also connected to the AT&T network previously. But as you found out one burns load fast if you make a call. So I do that on Skype when necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

I registered my AIS SIM yesterday at the office in Central Festival. The office is located near the Beach Road entrance of what they call the ground floor. I would call it the basement. At any rate it is the same level as the food court.

It took about 30 minutes but think I was unlucky time wise. There were a number of people queued at the "take a number machine" when I arrived. When I left there was no one at the machine. Also probably better not to go on the weekend as there are likely more Thais. But there was only one desk serving "foreign customers" and I was #8 in that queue. Getting there just as they open is probably a good idea. Or maybe you will have better luck than I at most any random time. I've seen reports of other getting in and out in minutes. I took my passport but a copy might work?

I have no idea if they will actually enforce the law they planned in July. But if they do then I am all set. If you have the same number for many years registering will make it easy for you to get that number back if you lose your SIM/phone. But the conspiracy theorists now happily point out they know who you are and where you are (or fairly close).

On AIS if you dial *141# or *151# you will get a message in Thai that states whether your SIM is registered or not. Mine shows 

ได้รับมูลจดทะเบียนแสดงตนของคุณเรียบร้อยแล้ว which translates rather badly on Google translate to "Information has been successfully registered your presence". Hopefully it makes more sense when a Thai reads it.

True  = *151#

DTAC = *102#

• Upvote 1

Thanks xyzzy. I have had my two numbers registered with AIS for many years, so I tried the code that you stated and I got the same message as you so I'm good. I registered these numbers with my passport a long time ago so if I lost the sim, I could keep the number. Also, anytime I want, I can go into an Ais office and upload my address book which will save it in their system.

• Upvote 1