The appropriate amount for a birthday garland.

bumblebee

We have all been in a bar at some stage where there is a birthday girl with one of those Baht garlands around her neck.  I presume like most guys you give more if you actually know her compared to just someone who works there and you happen to be in the bar.

So what's the going rate to avoid being considered a cheap Charlie?

If it's someone I know then 100 baht.

It's not out of obligation rather it's a chance for me to give her something and feel good about it since I don't buy those things called ladydrinks.

If I don't know the person and don't know the bar then it is generally 20 baht.  But if they are shoving the garland in my face it's zero baht.

I usually staple 100 baht to the garland, especially if:

a) I know the bar or someone in the bar even if only casually

B) There is decent food offered at the party - $3 for a bar snack is fine by me

c) I'd like to at some point in the future be balls deep in the birthday girl

200 baht if:

d) all of the above

• Upvote 2

For me it depends on several factors, such as; has the birthday girl ever smiled at me or simply acknowledged me ever in the past. If not then she gets fuck all, although thoughts of sellotape and a one baht coin go through my mind. Of course, the 'fuck all' is delivered with a smile , naturally.

If she's one of the friendly ones she gets 100. If she is the boss she might get 200.

The only time I've ever given more was to the girl whose birthday it was who's currently sat a few metres from where I am right now wearing my Sennheisser cordless headphones watching a Thai dubbed English movie on the telly, she got B500, but that was before we were an item. 

• Upvote 3

I normally give 100 Baht to someone I dont know, if its someone Ive shagged and had a good time with then I up the antii to maybe 500 baht,  or if I really really like them buy dinner for her and her friends B)

However did I attend Bom's Birthday Party very recently at 69 Bar but did not get round to giving her any baht for her garland, added to the fact that I had some of the free food on offer must have made me look a real cheapstake :biggrin:

post-136-0-64929000-1418295403_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-26784200-1418295551_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

If it's someone I know then 100 baht.

If I don't know the person and don't know the bar then it is generally 20 baht.  But if they are shoving the garland in my face it's zero baht.

Exactly the same for me...........................

Though I never much cared what they thought about me.................

When it comes time to pay for services, no one could ever call me a Cheap Charlie................

You  get a gift from me for doing something not for being something..............

• Upvote 1

For me it depends on several factors, such as; has the birthday girl ever smiled at me or simply acknowledged me ever in the past. If not then she gets fuck all, although thoughts of sellotape and a one baht coin go through my mind. Of course, the 'fuck all' is delivered with a smile , naturally.

My philosophy too .

A while back I was at the birthday party (by chance) of a girl who has never spoken or even given me a smile over the years in fact all I've ever received was dirty looks .

Lo and behold its her birthday and she's got a great big cheesy grin for me , so she gets a great big cheesy grin back and a hearty "Happy Birthday !" from me but zero baht ....that wiped the smile off her face fairly quickly .

If its someone I like maybe 200 baht or if I really like them and I'm tipsy 500 .

• Upvote 1

Usually 100 baht if it's someone I at least know or a bar I frequent. Since I try not to BF anyone more than once or twice a trip I usually don't have a favorite I would give more. I never figured the food into the equation. I usually eat before I go to parties as I seldom care for the food served (the another phucking roasted pig syndrome).

• Upvote 1

usually if am at a party in a bar for a birthday girl then am usually there with another LB from another bar I give her the 200baht to put on the LB necklace sometimes she has returned 100baht maybe she don't reckon the LB in question aint worth 200baht I leave it up to her and keeps me out of it....another LB wont call another LB cheap Charlie..... Regards Garry :huh:

• Upvote 1

I try to be in the toilet at the time she comes around with the necklace. :)

I loved the excuse you used the night of Juri's Party when one of the girls who worked at the bar (and coincidently had her Birthday the same night) came round asking for donations, I remember your response was "I have no Change".......classic :happy0065:

Needless to say Numbnuts here gave her a 1000 Pesos note :fool:

• Upvote 1