Band Names

SiamSam

Yup

There first Album " Black Sabbath"  with the famous  rain and the Church Bells intro... It was added afterwards without  telling Ozzie before the release from memory

and the most three famous notes in heavy metal that kick started the whole Scene( listen below) and Toni Iommi one of the most influential guitarists ever

QUESTION

Toni Iommi lost what in an Industrial Accident at the age of 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t24PsZxohY

QUESTION

Toni Iommi lost what in an Industrial Accident at the age of 17

The answer to this was he lost the top/tip off his middle and ring fingers in a factory grinding machine i think it was. He almost gave up  trying to learn the Guitar but he persevered with this disability and became a Heavy Metal Hero

now known as  the "Riffmaster"

Amazing

Didn't see that question, TC; I knew that one for sure, Iommi is one of my heroes.

He lost the 2 tips in an accident in a factory on his last day of work........considered quitting or switching hands but instead fashioned himself a couple thimbles with which to grind down on the strings harder than usual, creating that awesome wall of sound he became famous for.    Sabbath is easily my all-time favorite metal band, saw 'em in '78 on the Never Say Die tour and again in '99 when they resurfaced with all 4 original guys for a tour, excellent both times.

The thimbles are pushing down hard on this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLkL8DTHeg

One of the best and well known Album Cover artists of all time..when i was at School this guy was a God in Art class  and he still is to me now... i love Sci Fi / Fantasy art. In hindsight i should have put this in the Gen Kno thread

WHO IS HE ??? ( see examples below)

Also name one band he worked Album Covers for

post-405-0-71753800-1416683348_thumb.jpg

post-405-0-66242400-1416683709_thumb.jpg

Ok folks where did the band Procol Harum get their name?

The name was suggested by the band's manager. He had a friend who had a siamese cat named Harum. The cat came from a breeder named Procol. All of his cats were known as Procol cats. Hence "Procol Harum". 

And that my friends is just how silly some of these names are born. 

One of the best and well known Album Cover artists of all time..when i was at School this guy was a God in Art class  and he still is to me now... i love Sci Fi / Fantasy art. In hindsight i should have put this in the Gen Kno thread

WHO IS HE ??? ( see examples below)

Also name one band he worked Album Covers for

I read his name many years ago but it is long forgotten. The album covers in your post both belong to Yes. He did all their album art & they are all outstanding. As is the band.

Many people only know Yes from the couple of songs of theirs that get radio play. That's a shame because on their albums, the band plays music of a far higher calibre IMO. It's hard to categorise their music & there's nothing comparable being played today. It's not for everyone but I'm glad I was introduced to it. 

Correct Pacman, the work he did for YES was the most prolific

He also did Uriah Heap and quite a few others but the  YES album covers is what he is known for 

I will stick this in the General Quiz thread if no one gets his name as im sure someone here on LBR must know it

Hey thanks for owning up to that piece of knowledge Quinn... i knew we had someone that knew it.. congratulations ,  Roger Dean is correct

I got a few of his early books where he delved into his methods... i must say that i would have liked to have become a Graphic Artist myself , i only employ them now  ( well Graphic Designers anyway)

( ill have to peruse my old Marvel Comic collection and test you again Quinn.. :biggrin: )