Band Names

SiamSam

So the first trivia question for the HMR was really obscure.

It's not just the question that is obscure, I have never heard of this band. How big were they & did they chart internationally?

Even if I wasn't into one of those early bands, I thought I had at least heard of them.

They weren't big at all, very underground & cult-like outside of their exposure in Easy Rider ("If You Want To Be A Bird" on soundtrack) but they are probably the first in what today is called acid folk or or psych folk or something. Very 60s counterculture & charting was the last thing that they would think of, but they are relatively well known in folk circles for destroying the solemnity surrounding trad music while still obviously loving it.... think The Pogues 20 years earlier & in the States.

Thanks Hefe. I just googled them to see if it rang any bells. Nothing I'm afraid but I did see who the actor is. 

I never knew that guy was in a band but then again, how do any of us know who plays an instrument? We don't.

So let's see if someone can answer it  -  who is the former member of the Holy Modal Rounders who today is a fairly well well known actor & playwright? 

• Upvote 1

I heard this story on the radio many years ago. I'm trying to recall who it concerned, might have been American Indians or maybe pioneers, anyway on a cold night they would sleep with a dog next to them to get some warmth. On a colder night they needed two dogs. It doesn't take much to work out if it is a three dog night that it is very cold indeed.

It is bizarre but I have never thought about that story until the other week when I heard them played on the radio & it came to mind. Now this question, what were the chances?

Thanks Sam. I should have remember Inuit, I was thinking south of the border.

I suppose a local equivalent would be a three katoey night. One for average horniness, two for above average & three for first night back in town when you haven't busted a nut in months.....           :happy0148:

Ok, due to unpopular demand ... The Holy Modal Rounders former drummer is Sam Shepard who played Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff among many other roles, clue alluded to his ltr with Patti Smith & long marriage to Jessica Lange.

Now that I think about it a lot of the scenes in the Right Stuff was between 2 drummers: him & Levon Helm who played his mechanic.

I'll try to get less obscure next time out.

• Upvote 2

Ok, due to unpopular demand ... The Holy Modal Rounders former drummer is Sam Shepard who played Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff among many other roles, clue alluded to his ltr with Patti Smith & long marriage to Jessica Lange.

Now that I think about it a lot of the scenes in the Right Stuff was between 2 drummers: him & Levon Helm who played his mechanic.

I'll try to get less obscure next time out.

cheers hefe.....obscure is good.......Joy Division and The Smiths....maybe Manchester's finest bands.........what were the "joy division"... and .who were the Smiths named after?

Doing some recent research, I found out that Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Levon Helm portrayed National Aviation Hall of Famer Jack Ridley in The Right Stuff. 

That'd be a tough quiz question.

Tom Wolfe is one of my favorite authors and The Right Stuff is agood read.

OK, back to bands.

Tom Wolfe is one of my favorite authors and The Right Stuff is agood read.

One of my favorite movies. Shepard as Yeager is as tough as they come.

I never read The right stuff, but i read The bonfire of the vanities, and it was very entertaining. The movie starred Bruce Willis, so it sucked.

The movie starred Bruce Willis, so it sucked.

Another horrible Willis movie, Armageddon, featured the real-life daughter of a rock 'n' roller, who played the daughter of Willis and engaged to Ben Affleck.

Which rocker and for bonus points, name of the actress?

MORE bonus points, which famous groupie is her Mum?

The Right Stuff is a great read, it made me laugh out loud when he described the medical tests at the Texas hospital where they were being probed for every possible test & one of the guys in a gown pulling 2 rolling IVs got stuck in an elevator with other people after getting an enema & being told the bathroom was on another floor.

Another horrible Willis movie, Armageddon, featured the real-life daughter of a rock 'n' roller, who played the daughter of Willis and engaged to Ben Affleck.

Which rocker and for bonus points, name of the actress?

MORE bonus points, which famous groupie is her Mum?

Hes one of the worst ever

Steven Tyler-Liv Tyler- dunno the mom.