National Anthems And Patriotic Songs

pdogg

In the World Cup Trivia thread, Willie The Pimp posed the question why the Spanish football team wasn't singing the national anthem (check out that thread for the answer which Ciobha guessed correctly).

Got me thinking, I've always disliked The Star Spangled Banner, the national anthem of the USA.

Think America The Beautiful is much, much better, the lyrics and tune are quite moving. 

But if it was up to me, Woody Guthrie's ,This Land Is My Land, should be the national anthem since it brings home the point that what counts is the people, all the people.  Maybe that's why it's not the national anthem.

Do you like your country's national anthem or would you prefer it be replaced with a song you like better?

• Upvote 2

Ours has an English and Irish version but they always sing the Irish version at matches.  Always amusing to watch the players faces as the camera scans them during its rendition as most of us don't know the words.  You seldom hear the English version come to think of it, so like many of my fellow countrymen I don't really know the words in either language.  It's called Amhrán na bhFiann by the way or The Soldiers Song in English.

Anything would have been better than our previous 'National Anthem'. Advance Australia Fair has some strange lyrics with a nice tune. They are not so much strange as old fashioned. "Our home is GIRT by sea". Girt? Fuck, there's an expression that was lost in time. I just wish they hadn't found it again.

Our previous Anthem was God Save the Queen. It was rather embarrassing at the Olympic Games when no one could work out why the British National Anthem was played whenever we won but there were a bunch of the most conservative politicians who fought tooth & nail to keep it. Once we changed it everyone wondered why we hadn't done it years ago.

Now exactly the same stupid thinking is driving the resistance for change for our flag. The argument that Australians died on the battlefields under our current flag doesn't cut it in the 21st century. With the Union Jack taking up one quarter of the flag it is as Jerry Seinfeld said when he was here "I love the Australian flag, Britain at night". 

In the World Cup Trivia thread, Willie The Pimp posed the question why the Spanish football team wasn't singing the national anthem (check out that thread for the answer which Ciobha guessed correctly).

Got me thinking, I've always disliked The Star Spangled Banner, the national anthem of the USA.

Think America The Beautiful is much, much better, the lyrics and tune are quite moving. 

But if it was up to me, Woody Guthrie's ,This Land Is My Land, should be the national anthem since it brings home the point that what counts is the people, all the people.  Maybe that's why it's not the national anthem.

Do you like your country's national anthem or would you prefer it be replaced with a song you like better?

I don't mind The Star Spangled Banner. I just don't like how they make such a big deal of armed services representation at football games, while we listen to Al Michaels babble about how thankful we should be that the soldiers are fighting to protect our freedom. The thing is, to me, none of the military folks in attendance look old enough to have been in WW2, the last time the USA was justified in being in a war. 

I thought the Australian national anthem was "Waltzing Matilda". Where did I get that from Paccie?

Waltzing Matilda is our unofficial national song. It's the song that Aussie ex-pats will break into after a couple of beers while reminiscing about home. During the Olympics in Sydney, John Williamson, our great balladeer & national treasure was contracted to go to various venues & lead the singing of Waltzing Matilda. Visitors were caught up with the enthusiasm & reportedly joined in.

It might sound corny to some but the song holds a special place here that transcends any thoughts of jingoistic patriotism. I still cringe for a moment when I hear someone leading it off but it is quite infectious & I find myself singing along in spite of any misgivings. 

I'll teach it to you some time Sam....        :hi:

That would be a good choice I'd agree with but a song that talks of the poor and dispossessed ain't gonna sit well with the rich who truly believe they own not just countries but the world .

I would never stand for any anthem apart from The Internationale .

• Upvote 1

That would be a good choice I'd agree with but a song that talks of the poor and dispossessed ain't gonna sit well with the rich who truly believe they own not just countries but the world .

The beauty of This Land Is My Land is that it can be interpreted in many different ways.  The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has a version but without some of he lesser known subversive lyrics.

These verses were sung by Pete Seeger and Springsteen at an Obama pre-inaugural concert.

n the squares of the city – In the shadow of the steeple

Near the relief office – I see my people

And some are grumblin’ and some are wonderin’

If this land’s still made for you and me.

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;

Sign was painted, it said private property;

But on the back side it didn’t say nothing;

That side was made for you and me.

Have to admit that these lyrics are tame compared to The Internationale.  Warm and fuzzy it's not.

Only we, the workers of the worldwide

Great army of labour,

Have the right to own the land,

But the parasites - never!

And if the great thunder rolls

Over the pack of dogs and executioners,

For us, the sun will forever

Shine on with its fiery beams.

|: This is our final

and decisive battle;

With the Internationale

humanity will rise up! :|

• Upvote 1

pdogg, that would be my choice for the anthem as well,  btw did you know Woody wrote that on W 43rd St & 6th Av? I had always pictured him jotting down notes as he travelled down rural roads.

He had heard a radio broadcast of Kate Smith singing "God Bless America" & became motivated to write an "answer song" as an alternative right there on the spot.

pdogg, that would be my choice for the anthem as well,  btw did you know Woody wrote that on W 43rd St & 6th Av? I had always pictured him jotting down notes as he travelled down rural roads.

Surprises me too.  I had always assumed what u assumed.

I love This Land is Your Land, and think you all have it right.

However, I also like the somewhat tongue in cheek version of your Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix.

I agree with pacman, our Australian NA is a bit antiquated, but at least, unlike that godawful British dirge, it is ours.

I don't know many NAs, but my favourite 2 are:

La Marsellaise (spelling?) - France.

God Defend New Zealand - obviously, NZ (especially the first part of the song, written & sung in Maori).

Waltzing Matilda is our unofficial national song. It's the song that Aussie ex-pats will break into after a couple of beers while reminiscing about home. During the Olympics in Sydney, John Williamson, our great balladeer & national treasure was contracted to go to various venues & lead the singing of Waltzing Matilda. Visitors were caught up with the enthusiasm & reportedly joined in.

It might sound corny to some but the song holds a special place here that transcends any thoughts of jingoistic patriotism. I still cringe for a moment when I hear someone leading it off but it is quite infectious & I find myself singing along in spite of any misgivings. 

I'll teach it to you some time Sam....        :hi:

I already know Waltzing Matilda by heart. Don't why Sam doesn't it. Such a cool  song. Best national anthem anywhere even if it is unofficial. 

Ah,, the Danish National Anthem is one of the best ... 12 verses and some blood curdling stuff depending on which translation you take....  

There sat in former times, the armour-suited warriors, rested from conflict Then they set out to slay the foe, now their bones are resting behind the mound's menhir That country is still lovely, because the sea waves so blue frolic, and the foliage stands so green And noble women, beautiful maidens, and men and brisk swains inhabit the Danes' islands

I can't wait to see my old buddy Pacman again, so I can sit close, put my arm around his shoulders and serenade him with a rousing rendition of Waltzing Matilda while we drink some high quality Australian red wine.  

• 2 years later...