Letterman retires.

seven

I read somewhere that Stewart makes between 20 and 25 million a year!

CBS can't match that, and I think Stewart likes his gig anyway.....Colbert is said to be in the running for the Letterman job, but I don't think he's as good as Fallon, who should keep The Tonight Show atop the ratings for another 20 years.

I read somewhere that Stewart makes between 20 and 25 million a year!

as good as Fallon

Fallon is very good. Colbert might be a bit too obscure and sarcastic. but thats of course an act in his Colbert report.

And you're right , Stewart enjoys his gig being political tearing Fox a new one every night , which he won't be able to do  on CBS.

I think Johnny was the best ever.

This was before my time, i never watched him, but i understand he was good. Letterman always praises him.

Love Dave... but you could tell he's been a bit off his game the last few years, glad he didn't prolong his stay. I saw mostly his shows from the very first nights he was on but the last few years I've been watching Colbert instead, so I'm really happy the way this turned out.

Interesting the way Dave just mentioned "I'm an alcoholic" to Lohan last night. He only hinted to a problem in the past.

But what am I going to do about no top 10 lists after next year?

Top Ten Signs Your Wife Is Having An Affair With Santa Claus
10. She refers to your bed as “Santa’s Workshop”.

9. An elf comes by the house to drop off a pair of her earrings.

8. Your new baby has white hair and a beard.

7. She smells like a combination of peppermints sticks and reindeerchow.

6. Instead of mailing your children’s letters to Santa, she just stuffs them in her bra.

5. Paramedics need jaws of life to get the two of them out of your chimney.

4. Lately, she’s been commuting to work in a flying sled.

3. She keeps saying, “Not tonight — visions of sugarplums are dancing in myhead.”

2. For Christmas, your kids receive something called, “TheYour-Daddy-SucksDoll”.

1. During sex she shouts, “Ho, ho, ho!”

Love Dave... but you could tell he's been a bit off his game the last few years, glad he didn't prolong his stay. I saw mostly his shows from the very first nights he was on but the last few years I've been watching Colbert instead, so I'm really happy the way this turned out.

I don't like him at all. It is a complete mystery to me that he could be paid so much when he is just not funny. IMO. As for not prolonging his stay, he's a good ten years past his use-by date & he's still on air till next year. WTF. I do like Colbert & I also am glad he got the gig.

Interesting the way Dave just mentioned "I'm an alcoholic" to Lohan last night. He only hinted to a problem in the past.

But what am I going to do about no top 10 lists after next year?

Top Ten Signs Your Wife Is Having An Affair With Santa Claus

10. She refers to your bed as “Santa’s Workshop”.

9. An elf comes by the house to drop off a pair of her earrings.

8. Your new baby has white hair and a beard.

7. She smells like a combination of peppermints sticks and reindeerchow.

6. Instead of mailing your children’s letters to Santa, she just stuffs them in her bra.

5. Paramedics need jaws of life to get the two of them out of your chimney.

4. Lately, she’s been commuting to work in a flying sled.

3. She keeps saying, “Not tonight — visions of sugarplums are dancing in myhead.”

2. For Christmas, your kids receive something called, “TheYour-Daddy-SucksDoll”.

1. During sex she shouts, “Ho, ho, ho!”

I agree with everything you say, Hefe.  I haven't watched the late show as often as i used to lately, as he got "tired" the last few years, but i'll  never forget  the first time i tuned in in the 80's. The Cher-interview is one of the highlights, i remember.

I'll miss the top ten, Biff Henderson, Pat &Kenny reading Oprah-scripts, Stupid Human tricks, Jungle-Jack Hanna, Big red Alan Kalter, Stephanie the intern...

Of course! That explains a lot. He is what is known as a "functioning alcoholic" i.e. they are people who can perform routine tasks despite being completely tanked. I know a few of them, no one would guess they turn up to work every day plastered.

There was a story about Dave's drinking years ago & there have been some oblique references to it made by him. Plus it would explain why he has turned so nasty against a few guests. I remember his attack on Tim Roth, inexplicable until you consider he may not have been of sound mind.

Of course! That explains a lot. He is what is known as a "functioning alcoholic" i.e. they are people who can perform routine tasks despite being completely tanked. I know a few of them, no one would guess they turn up to work every day plastered.

his attack on Tim Roth, 

I can believe he's an alcoholic. He's not living normal life, is he. Became a dad first time at 57.

I missed that with Tim Roth. What happened?

I'll miss the top ten, Biff Henderson, Pat &Kenny reading Oprah-scripts, Stupid Human tricks, Jungle-Jack Hanna, Big red Alan Kalter, Stephanie the intern...

If any of these are truly worthy why wouldn't they keep them in the show? If Colbert is as clever as I think he is, he may use them ironically. To explain, he may send them up but in a way that makes him look silly without harming Dave's legacy. To criticise Dave would be death.

I suspect that Colbert will be that much better the execs will be wondering why they didn't do it much earlier. Of course I may be completely wrong.

And so, in tribute to Letterman, Fallon hijacked one of the Late Show's classic formats and did his own Top 10 list of reasons why Letterman is retiring.

His theories:

10. Wants to quit while he's still able to compete on Dancing With the Stars.

9. Made millions selling crack to Rob Ford.

8. Time slot was getting too "Jimmyesque."

7. He's not retiring – he's "consciously unhosting."

6. Stop! Hammock time!

5. Hillary/Letterman 2016!

4. After 31 years, finally got through to the Obamacare website!

3. One word: E-Loprah

2. Jay Leno needs a partner for next season's Amazing Race.

1. Jimmy Fallon is stealing his bits.

I missed that with Tim Roth. What happened?

It was many years ago back when I only caught the show intermittently but Tim Roth was the guest on the program. He wasn't then a big name but he had just had his first major film released. While Dave was talking about him he realised that people were thinking "Tim who?" & he explained that some big name had pulled out & Tim had stepped in at short notice.

Now I don't know if the cancellation by the other person made Dave mad but when little Tim walked out, he had none of that swagger you see popular stars carry on with. He sunk into his chair & spoke very softly. Dave wanted more & as the interview progressed he leant over him almost yelling at him. Tim didn't come back at him like he hoped, he just went quieter. 

It was a disaster. You could feel the hatred between the two. That was when I knew Letterman had some issues to deal with. And I have watched him reluctantly ever since. 

Oh, he called up Oprah while Lohan was there  :biggrin: :

“Oprah, I’ve spent 30 years trying to pull my life together, where the hell have you been?” Letterman asked.

Lots of laughter and applause from the crowd. Oprah told Dave that he should be doing fine because he uses the same meditation teacher (“Meditation Bob”) that she and Lohan also visit.

“You know what else, Oprah, that I’ve switched to now, that is really fantastic? Scientology,” Letterman said to much laughter

Dave wanted more & as the interview progressed he leant over him almost yelling at him. Tim didn't come back at him like he hoped, he just went quieter. 

It was a disaster. You could feel the hatred between the two. That was when I knew Letterman had some issues to deal with. And I have watched him reluctantly ever since. 

Yeah, i've seen him humiliate guests, he can be very nasty. Cher got up and left after trying to kick him, after he asked her about her cosmetic surgeries, which he had had promised to not bring up.

"You know what else, Oprah, that I’ve switched to now, that is really fantastic? Scientology,” Letterman said to much laughter

That's almost funny. With so many A-list celebs in the Church of Scientology, now that he's announced his retirement, he can make fun of them. I bet Tom & Co are now banned from any more appearances.

Yeah, i've seen him humiliate guests, he can be very nasty. Cher got up and left after trying to kick him, after he asked her about her cosmetic surgeries, which he had had promised to not bring up.

Ohhh, thaaat interview. Yes, he wasn't pleasant then either. 

The nasty side of him is self-hatred redirected at whoever is vulnerable. He has been exhibiting classic signs of it forever. Awful man, good riddance.

I agree with P Dogg......Carson was the best, but for me Letterman was easily second place.

Better than Leno for sure......this new prime-time battle will be very hard for Colbert because Jimmy Fallon is really funny and people love him in the states.  It will be interesting to see who is on top in 2 or 3 years.

Archie announced Colbert as the replacement yesterday. Or earlier today depending on which time zone you occupy. 

I also am a fan of the Colbert Report, I like his style of humour whereas I can't take too much of John Stewart shouting. He is not subtle, everything is screamed at the camera, no wonder he has a hoarse voice all the time.

Steven Colbert's challenge will be not to make the Late Show the same as his eponymous program of today. (Eponymous - I waited a long time to drop that into a post) His writing team will have to dream up new gags. Maybe they can feature a ladyboy on the show, that's always good for a laugh among those who feel threatened by them...         :unsure: