When was the last time you used a public telephone?

I have no idea of the policy regarding public phone boxes in Ireland. My guess is they have disappeared because their maintenance costs the phone companies a lot of money. 

There is no conspiracy by the phone companies acting in concert with the major mobile phone manufacturers, the arrival of mobile phones is a handy convenience that provides an alternative service. One that doesn't cost the state money. In fact they profit from it, a win-win situation.    

The same thing has happened here. There are no phone boxes & you never hear a complaint about it. I remember being on the road & knowing the location of every phone box in town because I used them if I had to ring the office. That seems so last century along with writing letters & using a cheque book.

Pacman whatda ya think ?  

I hope I have addressed your question. 

It just shows how things change so rapidly.  I used them weekly back in the late 90s and also when traveling in Europe.  Like Pacman I knew where all the convenient ones were when I lived in the west of Ireland.  Nowadays I hardly notice them, maybe they are still around but don't have much relevance.  A bit like TV repair men, there is not much call for them anymore.

• 1 month later...