Sochi Olympics

SiamSam

One of the gay guys I know said Obama is going to have a gay member of the team carry the flag in the opening ceremony.  Anyone know if that's true?  He also said there is some plan by the gay members of the various teams to break out in song, one of the gay anthems at some stage in front of the world media.  Would love to see Putin's face if it comes off.

President Barack Obama named openly gay athletes to the delegation that will represent the U.S. next year at opening and closing ceremonies for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, sending a clear signal to Russia about its treatment of gays and lesbians.

Tennis champion Billie Jean King will join the U.S. delegation to the opening ceremony, while Caitlin Cahow, a women's ice hockey player and Olympic medalist, will represent the U.S. at the closing ceremony. Both athletes have identified publicly as part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community....

http://www.mercurynews.com/national-sports-news/ci_25025987/president-obama-selects-gay-athletes-sochi-delegation

• Upvote 1

He also said there is some plan by the gay members of the various teams to break out in song, one of the gay anthems at some stage in front of the world media.  Would love to see Putin's face if it comes off.

A good shocking protest could be remembered for a long time. This one is still well remembered at least in the US.

post-345-0-16169400-1391504998_thumb.jpg

Some guy said the other day that holding the event in Sochi is like the USA holding the winter Olympics in Florida.

Sochi has no snow at this time and although the main snowy type events take place a few hundred miles north as of Friday there was very little white stuff present last week.. dreadfull. They have 12 Million cubic metres in cold storage it seems at great cost  . Many homes were wiped out by the building of the arenas and highways and most residents seems to be against it

Around 15 Billion was also skimmed of the budget by the Oligarchs. It cost 30 Billion now... more than all the WInter games held since 1914 i think it was reported. The Russian news channel say nought though.

The( English language) Russian news channel,RT,l is good at bashing the west but when it comes to there own fraud little is said. RT used to be a good channel but now is basically anti western in the extreme. Im surprised they dont have picture of Lenin pinned up as a back drop

I have been reading about some horrific conditions on the ground in Sochi, in regards to hotels and the general conditions of the lodgings and services there. And that's just from the journalists; wait until the families of the athletes and the tourists start coming today and tomorrow.

They say the security is great,  but everything else pretty much sucks.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/There-Are-Some-Nightmare-Travel-Stories-Coming-5204184.php

The US president along with the Canadian and British prime ministers are boycotting. Don't know about Australia or other free Western nations.

Huh?  I could've sworn i saw canadian, american and british athletes marching in with their flags held high at the opening ceremony.

No no. Sorry. I meant the President and Prime Ministers themselves. As leaders they were invited but declined. Much too busy yada, yada.

Oh, and Dylan is boycotting also.  :biggrin:

Haha, i didn't know that. If the athletes represent their nation, Obamas and Camerons  actions have no bearing, imo.

If a sovereign nation wants to make a statement by boycotting the games, no athletes should participate.

I think Bob will attend Bobsleigh in disguise.