Name that country

JaiDee

• 4 weeks later...

YESS!!!

Logan Airport, upper left......with The Charles River running through the city, separating Cambridge on the left with Boston on the right.  America's first city!

what constitutes a city in america? same as UK?  a cathedral?.......

by the way,my one and only time in Boston(loved it by the way)...I particularly remember this memorial in boston park,i found the citation very moving......the MA 54th regiment,they made the film "glory" about it,starring denzil washingtonBoston54thMass080410_01_s.jpgI

Very interesting to hear that williethepimp. I had no idea that the UK defined a city by the presence of a cathedral. In Canada - in Alberta it is determined by population. A city is over 100,000. a town between 1,000 - 99,999, a village 100-999, a hamlet less than 100.

well, it is traditionally a cathedral....but you can become a city by royal decree or parliamentary decree.....recent developements as they aren't building cathedrals anymore...only mosques!    according to wikipedia,the uk's smallest city,st davids in wales,has a population of only 1800,Ely,which is a well known famous cathedral city has a population of only 15.000,Wells in somerset,10,000......

Not sure what the criteria is here in the states,  I think similar to Canada; the bigger you are, the right you have to call yourself a city.

Boston does indeed have a LOT of history, it dates back to around 1630.  Harvard was founded in Cambridge in 1636.

BTW,   Boston is in Massachusetts, which is a "commonwealth" and not a state.  There are 3 other commonwealths, can anyone name them?

I am in one right now.....