It may surprise you to see where Thailand ranks in English Proficiency

JaiDee

Not surprises for mine, then again we aren't dealing with the cream of the crop in our circles.

So true Azza.  The list looks right from my experience.  I teach a lot of Austrian high school students and their English is fairly advanced, whereas the Spanish though weak, tend to be a bit stronger than the Italians and French in the same age groups.

I'm curious as to how Cambo ranked

Me too GT as there seems to be a greater hunger to learn the language in Phnom Penh than in Bangkok.

A shame the list didn't contain more of the ASEAN countries to get a better idea of where Thailand sits within that region, compared to it's closest neighbours.

I think you'll find that with regard to ASEAN Thailand's sitting second from bottom, just above Indonesia, Kendo... But I'm sure you could have guessed that's about where they'd be.

I remember about a year or so ago Yingluck announced that any schools wanting to teach English as a second language would have to fund it themselves... Just at exactly the same time as she brought in about 400 Chinese teachers... So the will to learn is not even there.

Talk about a pig headed bunch, even the Chinese are queing up to learn English.

• Upvote 1

I found the Cambodians who spoke English had far better pronounciation than the thais....maybe it's something to do with Khmer not being a tonal language ,as thai is....Even educated thais have poor pronounciation...

I'd agree with that Willie....my friend from PP has great english abilities and he was pretty much self-taught for years.  The Laotians, while also having a tonal language, also speak better english from my experience, not sure why.

With that said, I appreciate fully the lengths the Thai's go to to accommodate us farangs;  even at the 7/11 or the gas station they speak much more English than I speak Thai.  I think us farangs - and I am certainly guilty of this myself - are lazy to learn their language because pretty much everywhere we go in Thailand we can use our own and be understood.

The Laotians, while also having a tonal language, also speak better english from my experience, not sure why.

I think that it might be one of the benifits of once being communist... And I'd say the same probably applies to the Cambodians too, JaiDee

:hi:

Guest JustSumGai

No thanks . I dont have a spare lifetime at hand... Languages are for the young unless your job is getting a suntan  :biggrin:

I heard an American talking with a clerk in Villa on checkout. His Thai flowed...it was just like the girl he was chatting with. I asked him how long he'd been speaking Thai, he said 20 years. THAT I believe is the secret. I've always suspected this.