58 years of hard drives

JaiDee

My hard drive has been around for about 58 years also but recently it has been losing some of its memory and speed due to considerable substance and other sundry abuse over the years. I tried rebooting many times but to no avail. Like the drives above, it too has skunk in size however its capability has diminished rather than the contrary. Perhaps if I had been born a MAC rather than a PC...hmmmm. 

That gets me all nostalgic of my initial years in the IT business. In the early 90's we were selling 1-TB EMC arrays.  They were the size of a couple of refrigerators, heavy enough to have flooring requirements, contained 100s drives, and sold for about $1 Million.

Today a 1 TB drive can fit in your back pocket and cost you about a hundred bucks.  

I have my portable Linux system on one of those 16G Walmart drives.

Old phart alert! Back in the late 70s when I broke into the computer business I was working on an advanced scientific computer that had a amazingly fast 8 MHz clock speed and 24 or 32 K of RAM. Didn't need a lot of storage with 24k of RAM.

I've unsuccessfully resisted the urge to be a pedantic nerd and point out the fact that we're comparing flash memory drives with hard drives, which are in point of a fact a different storage medium, but still a point well made regarding capacity vs. price vs. size with regard to storage media over over the years ...

I remember the good old days of Compuserve, and how exciting it was to get a 28.8 baud modem ... and those crazy fast 486 pentium machines. And how about those amazing 1.44Mbyte floppies! All that space on a 3.5-inch disk. Lawl.

A form of tape may make a comeback as a storage medium. Well maybe...

I was at a Tech show in Hong Kong and was quite surprised when some guy gave a short lecture on the future of storage mediums and a special type of tape was proffered as the future. I cant remember the exact details as i was half asleep by then with jet lag but this has since appeared in certain Science journals and has some credibility...

we're comparing flash memory drives with hard drives, which are in point of a fact a different storage medium,

Very true.....but according to the people predicting the future, ALL hard drives will soon be flash drives, no more hard drives as we know them.  Yes, they are still a little ways away from making a whole terabyte or even 500 gig in a flash drive, but apparently in the not-too-distant future all our laptops and tablets and PC's will have flash drive technology. No more broken hard drives!