KenW in Phnom Penh #3

KenW

Packing now, with the usual pre-trip jitters. No matter how hard I try when I travel I always manage to forget something crucial. Last time camera battery charger. Time before: passport pic for visa. Etc.

On the bus from Saigon to PP on Monday.

Booked into Golden House 136 St as usual. They know me so well now, it feels like home. Mey, the manager, asked me in email: would you like your usual room? Lovely.

As far as an old man's blurred memory recalls, it's about my 8th trip to the kingdom, but since I have not been on forums long, went always in straight company on earlier trips, and have done only 2 TRs for LBR, I'll call this thread #3.

Hope to enjoy it, and hope readers do too.

• Upvote 1

No matter how hard I try when I travel I always manage to forget something crucial. Time before: passport pic for visa.

When I go to cambodia I spent the extra $5 and get an E-Visa before I arrive. However unless you are crossing at Bavet (Svay Rieng) then it isn't good from Vietnam. Too late now I guess anyway.

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

I would be interest in knowing more about Golden House.

Well I for one don't give a rat's ass....Cause I'm stuck here is America (the northern part) and your out having a good and/or great time in Cambo... Violating all the pretty Cambo boys...That ain't fair KenW...

I am envious as hell my friend...Have a great great trip...

It is pretty quite here in Phnom Penh at the moment following the death of the King's father, the country is in mourning.

No music playing for several nights already in the bars, although that's not a bad thing, and the streets seem light on people and there is an air of quiet contemplation.

It is rather tranquil, but very sad for the country and it's people.

When I go to cambodia I spent the extra $5 and get an E-Visa before I arrive. However unless you are crossing at Bavet (Svay Rieng) then it isn't good from Vietnam. Too late now I guess anyway.

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

The bus company I travel with does visas for passengers. You pay on the bus, they take your passport, and viola, at the border they return it with visa installed. No hassle.

I'll keep the thread posted about Golden House.

Well I for one don't give a rat's ass....Cause I'm stuck here is America (the northern part) and your out having a good and/or great time in Cambo... Violating all the pretty Cambo boys...That ain't fair KenW...

I am envious as hell my friend...Have a great great trip...

Thank you my friend. I'll have one for you (violation, that is)...

Just a little fun Ken, I know you can take it... :drinks: )

Ah pacman I've finally discovered the nickname of my third grade teacher after all these years.

Yes I can take it. If I can take Lulu from midnight to 4am or whatever, I can take anything.

Ken, you have a rare eye for the story and and paint pictures with wonderful words and phrases. Some of the very best stuff here on the forum. Looking forward to this report very much....

Thanks dazed&.

Arrived in the kingdom late yesterday. Am a bit dazed& myself, in that way that hits many of us when first arriving somewhere (money to be changed, SIM to be acquired, internet connection established, etc.). Big rainstorms last evening hit the capital - symbolically marking the late king's last night lying in state perhaps - knee deep waters keeping me indoors or close by.

Still, the sun's shining this morning and another day looms.

Honey, when you buy me iphone?

Will you buy me one [iphone]?

Honey, today you buy me iphone?

Listen to me, iphone ipad laptop new style in Phnom Penh, not have no good.

My first 28 hours in the capital.

Four assults on me from 2 different voices.

Morning afternoon night.

OK, we have all heard similar pleas over the years and decades.

Kahuna probably has about a million of them from the Naked City.

But what is interesting is this new sweep of "electronic" - a word now known and spoken - across the youth and young adults of fashionable PP.

In all cultures at all times peer group pressure, conformity and new fashion are important, especially to the young. But it's not so many decades since the first electronic wave targeted households front on: the household wireless, the household fridge, the household television, the household sound system.

Now, the late Jobs and his ilk have turned this sideways. These days it is a bomblast of a broadside aimed at individual youth, everyone of whom has to have their iphone or be super uncool. And unlike the first wave (post WWII), this one targets the third world heavily. PP included.

Sociological study fascinating and needed. It would be good for someone to map this wave as it spreads, for example, across the LB world of SEAsia through time.

And record how many LB sentences are spoken to patrons before this key plea is heard, echoed and re-echoed.

[For example: Nice to meet you. What your name? Can I go with you? Honey will you buy me iphone?]

• Upvote 2

Golden House in 136 St, #23-25, 50m from riverside.

mail@goldenhouse.asia

www.goldenhouse.asia

Here it is, yellow joint in centre:

post-244-0-57836900-1351132818_thumb.jpg

[poor pic, taken from across the road in Nordic House eatery.]

A family establishment.

Hence excellent security.

Underground park, cars & bikes.

Smallish rooms for 30 USD.

More expensive rooms higher up.

Breakfast included.

Usuals in room: aircon, TV, bar fridge, hot water, wifi.

My third time here.

Sometimes they can fall down a bit in professionalism. (That's Asia.) Example: first stay they never told me brekkie included. I found that out second time. Annoyed me a bit but I got over it. This time I emailed saying I would be bringing my girlfriend. I did, and we checked in. But because they know she is a local LB, they are being a bit mean. They informed me this morning that only my breakfast is included. I still have to pay for hers. I pointed out that she is a checked-in guest of the hotel. But, the guy said, only one breakfast for your room. That's pissed me off no end, for the principle rather than the cost. But I made no fuss. Asian face. My principles however - and my dollars - will decide whether I return or no next time.

As a regular and generous customer I thought I deserved slightly better treatment than that. I'm not in a good Golden House mood this morning. The goose that's laid in the Golden House may have already flown.

Ken, before u get too upset with Golden House there's a good chance brekkie was not included at the time of your first stay there.

I remember looking at lodging for Sam and telling him that Golden House and Lux were choices at his pricepoint but Lux only had wifi downstairs and Golden House did not offer breakfast.

Tis true Ken. No free breakfast at the Golden House when I stayed there. Your first stay with them was not long after mine so probably not available then also.

The other thing to be aware of is that it is not uncommon for a hotel to offer just the ONE free breakfast per room even if there are two guests. Usually the price of the room is adjusted slightly higher if two breakfasts are included. At least that has been my experience.

Don't be too hard on them. There is not a lot of choice of quality places for that price in PP. AND my Lux experience was downright infuriating. They have never heard of customer relations.

My advice is to cool down and stay put.

Ken, before u get too upset with Golden House there's a good chance brekkie was not included at the time of your first stay there.

Tis true Ken. No free breakfast at the Golden House when I stayed there. Your first stay with them was not long after mine so probably not available then also.

Don't be too hard on them.

My advice is to cool down and stay put.

OK my wisehead friends, I'm calm. Thanks.

(PS: I was not angry, merely upset.)