Three somewhat obscure movies, everyone should see

Lefty

So has anyone seen A Separation? And does anyone enjoy really obscure movies? Or am I talking to myself..... again... :sorry:

Hey Pacman, there are people out here!

I'm not certain that I enjoy movies just for the sake of them being obscure. It is though definitely worth looking outside the box to stretch the horizons (a pertinent analogy might be to occasionally stop going to Obsessions - purely as an example - every night and have a wander instead round some of the small bars off 2nd round). There are great films to be found outside the 'mainstream' but there are plenty of poor ones as well – it’s a very subjective area though. What I like and my judgement on what is good and bad is not necessarily going to be the same as the next man’s. I can’t defend in any way Hangover 2 but concede that some folks (Azza, Azza, Azza….) might like it.

Two of my favourite films are Two-Lane Blacktop and Memento. Admittedly both English language, both very different and pretty much low budget movies that were defiantly indie minded but the sheer quality and imagination they exhibited won over audiences by word of mouth and nudged them into a wider viewing platform.

The distribution system which works very hard against Independent releases and the much wider cultural difficulties of many folks getting to grip with foreign language films always mean that these movies are unlikely to get much coverage outside of their home patch unless there are compelling reasons for critics, movie buffs etc to shout out and for word of mouth to spread the message. Your example of A Separation being very much a case in point which almost miraculously got seen outside the Middle East (helped of course by a dollop of liberal guilt served up with the Arab Spring!)

Bottom line is that people go to the cinema or watch films at home for a whole number of reasons and everyone has different pleasure points from the experience. I happen to enjoy watching some foreign language movies just as I like to watch some of the big blockbusters but then I’m enthralled with the whole notion of film and everything it brings.

Sorry, bit of a disconnected ramble…

Memento.

Now that´s a good movie. Very clever.

Pulp fiction and Reservoir dogs are in my book modern classics.

Hangover 2 was so bad. I didn't even finish it, just fast forwarded to Jasmine Lees cock, or maybe that was another lb, and even that was boring. Hangover was great fun though.

Thanks dazedandconfused for your disconnected post. I was in "ramble" mode myself when I was typing the above posts.

And I completely agree that there are plenty of poor movies among the obscure ones, it's part of the reason why they are obscure in the first place. But there are some wonderful gems among them.

And I get your point about Second Road bars, I do wander far & wide from home base at the Penthouse. If you don't seek, you'll never find.

I never did see Momento & I can't remember why I didn't. I like Guy Pearce, I hope I catch it on the box sometime. I can't remember Two Lane Blacktop but I googled it & it doesn't ring any bells. The film Vanishing Point is mentioned as being similar & I loved that.

As for the distribution of Iranian movies, they all get a run in the major cities, Iranian film directors have a good reputation everywhere. Movie houses that have a policy of never running films with sub-titles are denying their customers the chance to discover something new.

It's a crying shame but a financial reality. But all is not lost with so many new directors stepping right out of the public's comfort zone with some of the new releases. How interesting that so many of them refer to famous foreign film directors as their inspiration. The cream always rises to the top.

I used to watch a lot of foreign fare when I worked in a video store during college, but nowadays I'm stuck in the rut and don't break out of my "popcorn movie" comfort zone much. I always see the 1 minute scenes they show during the "Best Foreign Film" part of the Oscars, and often write down names and titles to try to remember to watch later. But then I never do. I do remember seeing a clip from the Iranian film last year though. I sometimes end up getting to catch some of the better documentaries though, as I'm a documentary nut. But there's really nothing I can think of that's leapt out at me the past year or two.

Memento was fun, but I expected too much. Same with Nolan's follow-up, The Prestige. Since I didn't see either until after I'd already seen Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Inception - I was expecting way more than either of these smaller films could deliver.

I used to watch a lot of foreign fare when I worked in a video store during college, but nowadays I'm stuck in the rut and don't break out of my "popcorn movie" comfort zone much.

Why? You know what to do. Get out of your rut & wander down to an arthouse cinema next time they have something good on.

I sometimes end up getting to catch some of the better documentaries though, as I'm a documentary nut. But there's really nothing I can think of that's leapt out at me the past year or two.

I love a good documentary but I haven't been to one in a while. It's not that they stopped making them, there just hasn't been the hype about any one in particular that has got me off my arse to go see it.

I am reliably informed by people who know about such things that the best doco in the past two years is "Senna", a look at the life of Ayrton Senna, the Formula One driver. Apparently it is excellent. Not a subject matter that I thought would earn such high praise but there I go pre-judging again.

My favourite and one that inspires memories of my younger days is "Lawrence of Arabia" though hardly obscure.

Running a close second for me and a somewhat obscure film nowadays is "The Razor's Edge" made in 1946. It's an old black and white adapted from the book written by Somerset Maugham and starring Tyronne Power and Gene Tierney.

It's about a young man's search for meaning and decision to follow a different path after returning from the horrors of World War 1.

"The sharp edge of the razor is difficult to pass over; thus the path to salvation is hard".

IMO don't bother with the 1984 remake starring Bill Murray.

If you enjoy a laugh I'd highly recommend the 1970 comedy movie "Start the Revolution Without Me" also know as "Louis, there's a Crowd Downstairs". It stars Donald Sutherland and Gene Wilder set during the French Revolution and loosely based on Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities".

For an added bonus the movie is narrated by Orson Welles who makes several guest appearances. This movie has a cult following and I've never heard it mentioned outside a circle of people I know who are familiar with it.

Finally another comedy I'd throw in is "Let it Ride" made in 1989 and starring Richard Dreyfuss. The movie is set around horse racing and the race track and if you like a bet on the ponies like I do you'll definately get a laugh out of it film and no doubt identify with some of the characters.

P.S. hello bumblebee, I finally made it.

• Upvote 1

Now that´s a good movie. Very clever.

Pulp fiction and Reservoir dogs are in my book modern classics.

Hangover 2 was so bad. I didn't even finish it, just fast forwarded to Jasmine Lees cock, or maybe that was another lb, and even that was boring. Hangover was great fun though.

Yasmin Lee was the lb in Hangover II, that supposed ravaged Ed Helm's character's back side.

I have been scrolling through this thread & I have to ask, apart from some notable exceptions, where are the obscure films? Some posts read like a list of most popular films of all time.

I started the thread with the descriptive word of obscure to describe the 3 Guy Ritchie films I liked, because to me they were obscure. Until Kahuna told me about Snatch and Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. I never heard of them. So, to me they were obscure. I then scrolled Ritchie's filmography and RocknRolla was said to be somewhat similar, so I watched it and then told him about it.

Everyone has a different definition of obscure, when it comes to movies.

Two of my favourite films are Two-Lane Blacktop and Memento. Admittedly both English language, both very different and pretty much low budget movies that were defiantly indie minded but the sheer quality and imagination they exhibited won over audiences by word of mouth and nudged them into a wider viewing platform.

I really like Two-Lane Blacktop. I consider Warren Oates the best character actor of all time, and will usually watch anything he is in. Two more good relatively obscure Oates movies, were Dillinger, and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. Two-Lane Blacktop was also notable for being the first and only acting roles ever played by Dennis Wilson and James Taylor.

a handful of european films that i would certainly recommend

Mesrine - excellent 2 part film based on legendary 1960/70s French gangster Jacques Mesrine. Part 1 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259014/ The second part http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411272/

Battle of Algiers. No punches pulled here, grips you from the opening http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/

Head on - very good German/Turkish film, lead character is a right boyo http://www.imdb.com/...048/plotsummary

Some others, mentioned by other bm's

Senna was excellent, what a legend he was.

Millers Crossing, top class

The Ipcress File (Michael Caine - not as glossy as a bond film but authenthic)

The Big Sleep (bogart)

Glengarry Glenross

The Long Good Friday

• Upvote 2

a handful of european films that i would certainly recommend

Mesrine - excellent 2 part film based on legendary 1960/70s French gangster Jacques Mesrine. Part 1 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259014/ The second part http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411272/

Battle of Algiers. No punches pulled here, grips you from the opening http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/

Head on - very good German/Turkish film, lead character is a right boyo http://www.imdb.com/...048/plotsummary

Thanx wildrover,I definitely want to check out the Mesrine films,and the German/Turkish film also.Ive seen the Battle of Algiers ,on some late night channel,it looks like a documentary,but it isn't,its very well done.There must be dozens of great obscure films out there,but of course our cinemas and TV channels are full of the usual Hollywood (mainly) drivel.

Alright Willie

I think film has gone way downhill in the past few years, online activities and gaming seem to have been the death of quality film - box office takings may be up but thats not saying a whole lot, hollywood has dumbed down big time.

An exception being the films from germany, france and spain to some extent. I used to always check the weekly listings about what was coming out, dont seem to anymore.

Makes one appreciate all the more, the likes of Brando, Cagney and Bogart - top quality.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just found it and want to chime in with a few of my perhaps not obsure but certainly not mainstream favorites ( I got lots)...But, "What do I know about diamonds?

1. Suicide Kings...Christopher Walken, Dennis Leary, Henry Thomas, and others in a "...deliciously wicked comedy-thriller." A very neatly written, directed and acted psychological piece...

2. Assassination Tango...Kinda sorta Lost in Translation set in Argentina with guns and dancing and very sexy Latinas...

3. Fandango...Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson in their youth...A story about skydiving and trains and Dom...And romance...

4. I Love You To Death...Kinda sorta based on true events with Kevin Kline, Tracey Ullman, William Hurt, River Phoenix, Joan Plowright and Keanu Reeves...A very very funny movie about pizza, sex, and attempted murder...

and two village idiots...

5. The Best of Times...Do you like football and Taft? You get to see both and you get to see Reno Hightower wear his white shoes...

6. Cop Land...This may not be obscure, but after Rocky, clearly Stallone's best performance...

7. About Schmidt...A road trip for old guys..."Relatively soon I will die. Maybe in two years. Maybe tomorrow. It doesn't matter. Once I'm dead and everyone who knew me dies too it will be as though I never existed." Sobering thought...But even though I don't know anything about diamond, I think Schmidt finds the cure...

EDIT:

I forgot one of my favs...

Kenin Spacey, Danny Devito, Peter Facinelli in...The Big Kahuna...It's not about me but all you salespeople and others should give this a watch...

• Upvote 1

I just read about a new movie that I think will suit discriminating gentlemen such as Kahuna and myself just fine. I'm sure some of you other fellows with good taste, such as El Hefe, may also enjoy it too. From the director of In Bruges, Martin McDonagh, the name of the movie is Seven Psychopaths. All Star cast with Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, and Colin Farrell leading the way.

• Upvote 1