Three somewhat obscure movies, everyone should see

Lefty

On 3/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, Zeppie said:

How could Fred Williamson (an ex pro football player) be one of the glorious bastards.  They were all jews!!, with exception of the german officer they picked up along the way?  Do I have the wrong Fred W?

The movie Fred Williamson was in is not about Jewish-American soldiers. The Inglorious Bastards, 1978, concerns a group of prisoners who are drafted into a special war mission in 1944, is a loose (unauthorized) remake of the 1967 American film The Dirty Dozen.  The film attracted critics' attention again after Quentin Tarantino used the title as the inspiration for the title of his 2009 film Inglourious Basterds. The Tarantino film is not a remake of The Inglorious Bastards, but contains a few references to it, including the appearances of Svenson as an American colonel and Castellari as a Nazi general (although credited as "himself").

• Like 1
On 3/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, Zeppie said:

I did watch it, and yes had some good acting, and could keep your attention, but I think expectations outweigh the results.  I for one would not feel compelled to watch again... 

I've not seen it yet, but love McDonagh's other movies and find them all worth watching over and over. If this one is not of that ilk, that is okay. I can watch In Bruges several times a year and it always fondly reminds me of Kahuna, since he was who first told me about it and bought me a copy over at Tukcom on that upper floor with all the DVD stores. I went in one store and he into the next over at the same time, both of us looking for In Bruges. About 10 minutes later I looked up and there he was standing outside the entrance waving a copy of In Bruges over his head, like I found it, stop looking. I walked out and he just gave it to me.  Said he'd seen and he wanted me to see it. Seven Psychopaths is very good too. I'd rank it 3rd, but it has Walken in it, in more than a short cameo, and you can't go wrong there. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is quite simply outstanding and well deserving over the two Oscar wins for best actress and best supporting actor. There was little chance McDonagh was going to top Three Billboards. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 2:09 PM, Lefty said:

I've not seen it yet, but love McDonagh's other movies and find them all worth watching over and over. If this one is not of that ilk, that is okay. I can watch In Bruges several times a year and it always fondly reminds me of Kahuna, since he was who first told me about it and bought me a copy over at Tukcom on that upper floor with all the DVD stores. I went in one store and he into the next over at the same time, both of us looking for In Bruges. About 10 minutes later I looked up and there he was standing outside the entrance waving a copy of In Bruges over his head, like I found it, stop looking. I walked out and he just gave it to me.  Said he'd seen and he wanted me to see it. Seven Psychopaths is very good too. I'd rank it 3rd, but it has Walken in it, in more than a short cameo, and you can't go wrong there. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is quite simply outstanding and well deserving over the two Oscar wins for best actress and best supporting actor. There was little chance McDonagh was going to top Three Billboards. 

I am a fan of Walken.  He is very unique.  If I see he is in a movie, I try to watch it.  I think he started out as a song and dance man (maybe more dance than song).  The dude is light on his feet.  Some time ago he did a tv commercial and danced his way through it.  It was cool.

• Like 2