Nevermind

Ashoka

3 hours ago, seven said:

The Beatles (Sorry, bbg).

You do me a disservice Seven!   other than perhaps 3-4 songs i never liked the Beatles. But, would agree with your 2nd choice. NIrvana? never heard them so can't comment.

My choice for most overrated band [sorry Woodie!] would be Queen. [are we allowed to say Queen in this thread?.....]

i think that The Beatles were probably Quinn's fave beat combo. Certainly in these cannabis days i quite often see him floating along beach road muttering over and over 'I am the Eggman, they are the eggmen''  Obviously, i don't mean floating physically,.... metaphysically of course.

In reality though it could be his new extra-long, extra-pointy winklepickers that give the illusion of him skiing uphill or floating.

Strange days have found us...

4 hours ago, seven said:

One of the most overrated albums and bands ever.

Maybe we can have a thread about this; most overrated bands. If it gets heated it’s already in the right section.

The Beatles (Sorry, bbg).

The Who

Nirvana

The Doors

totally agreed and wow! I am really impressed with your insight because I felt the same way about all these guys at one point in my life..... but have ridden the bang wagon w all of them except Nirvana (bc I was passed teenage hood when they came out and I can't as an educated adult pretend to like Nirvana....but I did for the other three.

and after LOVING the doors as a kid yet ultimately realizing how contrived it was, and rocking to the Who with some straining effort..... i still think the Beatles have merit. So many styles and offerings and univesral cheer came from them and that means something.

But now Genesis on the other hand was way over rated. I think Metallica is ridiculous too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

You do me a disservice Seven!   other than perhaps 3-4 songs i never liked the Beatles. But, would agree with your 2nd choice. NIrvana? never heard them so can't comment.

My choice for most overrated band [sorry Woodie!] would be Queen. [are we allowed to say Queen in this thread?.....]

i think that The Beatles were probably Quinn's fave beat combo. Certainly in these cannabis days i quite often see him floating along beach road muttering over and over 'I am the Eggman, they are the eggmen''  Obviously, i don't mean floating physically,.... metaphysically of course.

In reality though it could be his new extra-long, extra-pointy winklepickers that give the illusion of him skiing uphill or floating.

I think Grunt has been smoking the blotting paper again ! The Beatles - I was vaguely aware of their work - I was adrift between Coltrane and His Bobness !

zz.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

How have you never heard of Nirvana?

I may not like all of their songs or their albums but even I've heard them and I've never heard the doors or the who!

10 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

I assumed you liked them, I’m sorry. Your username most likely played a part. 
She loves you yeah yeah yeah’ ,who can ignore such brilliant piece of lyrics. 

10 hours ago, The-Sith said:

on the other hand was way over rated. I think Metallica

Yes!!!!!!
Genesis= Eternal Boredom. 
Peter Gabriel equally boring.

Metallica? Means nothing to me. Loud metal band my friends growing up did better.

10 hours ago, The-Sith said:

but have ridden the bang wagon w all of them except Nirvana

You’re spot on,sith. A lot of these band you were supposed to like because they had so much cred. The list is long, Nirvana most definitely being one of those. 

As for Bono and Sting… don’t get me started :biggrin: (The Police was a pretty good band , but Sting  and his pretentious persona is another story).

10 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

are we allowed to say Queen in this thread?.....]

Careful bbg,  you’re on thin ice but as PDiddy mentioned Mr. Presley who more commonly went by another nickname I guess we’re still good. Here’s the great Phil Lynott with his tribute to him that still holds , imo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Ashoka said:

I might be stepping on some toes here but I think Guns N' Roses are overrated.

Outside of 4 songs.. most of their stuff is garbage!

totally disagree with Guns.

in my opinion... they were the last great rock band that embodied the spirit of rock n roll. they were bad ass....progressive and self destructive with kick ass songs.

nothing cool came after them ... that's why rock is so boring now.

9 minutes ago, The-Sith said:

they were the last great rock band that embodied the spirit of rock n roll.

Its about timing, being at he right place the right time which is why I totally get The Beatles greatness for people a bit older than me. They were the first.

I was 14 when London Calling and The River  came out , now thats timing. Life changing moments for me. Obviously too young to experience Dylans entrance.

9 minutes ago, The-Sith said:

that's why rock is so boring now.

It is and it's because we're old. Some absolutely great new bands out there for the kids, not for us. I have tried this last summer but its just annoying and exhausting. Too loud, too in your face.

1 hour ago, The-Sith said:

totally disagree with Guns.

in my opinion... they were the last great rock band that embodied the spirit of rock n roll. they were bad ass....progressive and self destructive with kick ass songs.

nothing cool came after them ... that's why rock is so boring now.

Well Dream Theater came after them and they rock.

But I called Guns overrated because other than

1. Welcome to the Jungle

2. Sweet Child of Mine

3. November Rain

4. Don't Cry

most of their stuff is garbage unless you maybe count Paradise City and Estranged which are just not to the same level as the first 4.

And it's been what 29 years and I still hate that I spent money on The Spaghetti Incident. Worst Album ever. What a ripoff!

9 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Well Dream Theater came after them and they rock.

But I called Guns overrated because other than

1. Welcome to the Jungle

2. Sweet Child of Mine

3. November Rain

4. Don't Cry

most of their stuff is garbage unless you maybe count Paradise City and Estranged which are just not to the same level as the first 4.

And it's been what 29 years and I still hate that I spent money on The Spaghetti Incident. Worst Album ever. What a ripoff!

what about Mr Brownstone and Civil War..... just to name 2. Guns had so many amazing songs. The Clash (which is a cool group) didn't have so many top tracks.

and i think Bruce Springsteen cant even hold a candle to these two.... The Clash and Guns and Roses.

3 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Biden presented Sir Elton with National Humanities Medal at the White House.  I think EJ is overrated although I like two of his tunes very much, Honky Cat and Crocodile Rock.  Suzy wore her dresses tight!  She must have been a real slut!   :party0011:

220923185059-02-elton-john-white-house-large-169.jpeg

agree Elton might be in the over rated bucket. But he did his own thing and did it with longevity which means a lot. So I didn't classify him as over rated.

6 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Still think meh

IMHO even White Lion was better than Guns though not as successful obviously.

Motley Crue, Poison and Def Leppard have way better amount of songs as well.

Do you know what Mr. Brownstone is about?

it is the epitpme of rock and roll. 

but everyone has their own view....especially music.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, Woodie said:

I know you said that tongue in cheek. No other band on earth comes even close to them. Well maybe Led Zeppelin.

Woodie....you for got the Stones  All the bands that are being dissed were all great bands....for one reason or another......and who ever said Queen wasnt a great band.......on my.....really.......