globetrotter

Ok maybe dumb question, but here goes anyways,  so I usually go to TT exchange  and have always just used a colour  full- sized photocopy of my passport to change money into baht with no problems whatsoever , so  just  wondering if anyone knows if I can use a reduced  sized photocopy as I want to carry a  smaller wallet this time if possible and a full sized copy would not fit into new much smaller  wallet

• Upvote 1

Not 100% sure, but I know that Vasu and SuperRich exchanges in Bkk accepted a black and white photocopy of my passport. The important part is the page with your photo and passport number and details, and the other would be the number of your entry card or visa. You could trim down the pages just to the same size as your passport and fold it up. It might fit then.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, rxpharm said:

Not 100% sure, but I know that Vasu and SuperRich exchanges in Bkk accepted a black and white photocopy of my passport. The important part is the page with your photo and passport number and details, and the other would be the number of your entry card or visa. You could trim down the pages just to the same size as your passport and fold it up. It might fit then 

it's more the size of it not  the colour  I am worried  about (I always carry colour just in case) and I forgot to mention  that I  always laminate  my photocopies  so folding would not be an option 

I've used a laminated ID sized copy of my passport as ID at TT loads of times never been a problem 

Don't take any of that as set in stone though as logic goes out the window from day to day in Thailand , who'd have thought that you couldn't hire a sunbed on a Wednesday years ago ? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimslim said:

I've used a laminated ID sized copy of my passport as ID at TT loads of times never been a problem 

Don't take any of that as set in stone though as logic goes out the window from day to day in Thailand , who'd have thought that you couldn't hire a sunbed on a Wednesday years ago ? 

ya, I hear you that is why I will carry the reduced laminated one and have the other in room so if there is a  problem  hotel is right across from TT on soi Bukhao so can just run back a bit of a pita  but it is what it is

1 hour ago, stoolpusher said:

my last trip I used a photocopy ( black and white ) and no probs I folded it up to about the size of an in half 100 baht note ,everywhere I went accepted the copy as I only travel with cash. even the sim card joint accepted the copy

funny u mention about sim card place as the place I go AIS  store in Tukcom (2nd fl) u must show your passport  

20 hours ago, globetrotter said:

funny u mention about sim card place as the place I go AIS  store in Tukcom (2nd fl) u must show your passport  

9 hours ago, BigTel said:

Same rule as Dtac which I go to on the same floor .

A bit off topic but you will have to show a passport to get any SIM in Thailand now, I bought a 49 baht DTAC Tourist SIM at Central Festival just to open a new Facebook account and had to show my passport.

28 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

A bit off topic but you will have to show a passport to get any SIM in Thailand now, I bought a 49 baht DTAC Tourist SIM at Central Festival just to open a new Facebook account and had to show my passport.

I can't  remember  not having to show my passport  for AIS 

32 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

I can't ever  remember  not having to show my passport  for AIS 

40 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

8 hours ago, globetrotter said:

Not too many years ago (2?) one could walk into a 7/11, buy a SIM of the desired brand, pay, show no ID and be all set. Most of the time a 7/11 worker would install and initialize the SIM. So the phone was ready for use. I never used to go to the AIS store until things got more difficult and ID was required. Plus last year the info on my old 2G SIM had to be copied into a new 3G SIM at AIS (I've had the same number for five years). Because of the fairly new law I had to go to the AIS store a year or two ago and register my SIM. Prior to that one could register a SIM with AIS/DTAC/etc as it made it possible to get a new SIM with the same number if one lost their phone. But I think few did. Especially the ones that just got a new SIM at 7/11 each trip.

Sorry way off topic now.

To go even further off topic some of you may have 2 phones; I do.

In my case I have an old Sim in my Nokia that I want to keep valid but rarely use and a new Sim in my smartphone that deduct 212 baht a month from for my data plan.

With the Sim in my Nokia, every time I top up for 50 Baht I get an extra 30 days validity.

Both phones have AIS (1-2-Call) sims.

So I transfer from my Nokia to smart phone by typing *140*1*mytendigitphonenumber*100# and then make a call and 100 baht gets transfered and 103 baht is deducted from your balance.

So just type your phone number where I typed "mytendigitphonenumber".

The sending Sim must be 3 months old and maybe the receiving Sim also. There may be some AIS sims that don't permit this.