Miss Universe: Miss Colombia mistakenly crowned as winner

duke007

Las Vegas

Miss Columbia mistakenly crowned as winner

Media captionHost Steve Harvey revealed the mistake shortly after Miss Colombia was declared the winner

The host of the Miss Universe has apologised after mistakenly naming the wrong woman as winner, leaving Miss Colombia empty-handed.

After the error, Ariadna Gutierrez was instead declared runner-up and surrendered her crown to Miss Philippines, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach.

#MissUniverse2015 became Twitter's biggest trend of the night as social media users expressed their disbelief.

Ms Wurtzbach has since told reporters that she wishes Ms Gutierrez well.

"I'm very sorry, I did not take the crown away from her and I wish her well in whatever she wants to pursue after this pageant," she said.

Ms Gutierrez also addressed fans in a backstage video that has been shared on the pageant's official page.

She said: "Everything happens for a reason so I'm happy for all that I did."

At the end of the night in Las Vegas, Ms Gutierrez was named first runner-up followed by Olivia Jordan from the United States.

_87314356_hi030655862.jpgImage copyrightAFPImage captionMiss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez was mistakenly named winner of the 2015 Miss Universe contest

The host Steve Harvey responded, saying it was "his mistake" and he would take responsibility for not reading the winning card correctly.

He made another mistake when he misspelled both Colombia and the Philippines in an initial tweet. The tweet was later deleted.

"I'd like to apologize wholeheartedly to Miss Colombia & Miss Philippines for my huge mistake. I feel terrible," he tweeted in a second attempt. The message was re-tweeted more than 70,000 times.

"I don't want to take away from this amazing night and pageant. As well as the wonderful contestants - they were all amazing."

'Miss Information'

Shock and disbelief erupted online following the incident.

"Talk about awkward," described one Twitter user who "couldn't help" but find the gaffe "hilarious".

Another user, Mark Critch from Canada, said: "And the winner is - Miss Information."

_87314613_hi030655829.jpgImage copyrightAFPImage captionMiss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach reacts to the announcement establishing her as winner

Facebook users also expressed their opinions on a post shared on the pageant's official page.

It was shared more than 62,000 times and received more than 17,000 comments from viewers across the world.

"That was poorly handled. Both of these gorgeous ladies deserve an apology because that was embarrassing for both of them. I literally felt both of their pain," read a top comment by Lemmy Cliff.

"That was the most annoying Miss Universe contest ever," said another commenter Andres Felipe Arbelaez. "The host was horrible and Miss Colombia should have won."

Pageant fans from the Philippines also began to express anger at the incident.

"Our Miss Philippines didn't get her shining moment," said a fan on Facebook. "It feels like she and our country were robbed of the winning moment, shame!"

_87314358_hi030655856.jpg

he Filipina beauty queen was then crowned Miss Universe 2015

While some Twitter users remained upset over the mistake, others began to tweet out messages of support.

"Don't feel terrible. Everyone makes mistakes," said Pedro Da Cunha.

"To err is human... to forgive is divine," said another user in reply to Mr Harvey's apology.

In an incident apparently unconnected to the competition, at least one person was killed and dozens injured after a car ploughed into a crowd next to the Miss Universe venue.

• Upvote 1

Was Steve Harvey behind the grassy knoll?

Steve Harvey mixing up the winner of the 2015 Miss Universe pageant on Sunday had all the ingredients of an epic viral moment: A beauty pageant. An embarrassing  gaffe. The agonizing scene when Harvey admitted he made a mistake. The look on Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez’s face when her crown was taken off and given to the real winner, Miss Philippines Pia Wurtzbach.

It was so perfect. Maybe … a little too perfect.

Immediately after Harvey announced Miss Colombia as the winner (she was actually the first runner-up), the video made its way around the world and #MissUniverse2015 was the No. 1 trending topic on Twitter. But social media lit up with the Internet’s second-favorite thing: Cries of a conspiracy theory.

Sample comment on Facebook from Raoul Martinez, a TV anchor in San Diego: “You guys buying this? I’m no conspiracy theorist, but this smells fishy to me. Sounds like a big PUBLICITY STUNT to get everyone talking about Miss Universe, when normally (let’s be honest, now!) NO ONE would be talking about Miss Universe.”

Then there were screenshots of the card Harvey was holding on TV, which he held up to prove he read the wrong name. People were dubious he could have really mixed up the two names.
Similar thoughts were echoed by many — here are some of the other reasons some think it was planned all along.

Did the teleprompter say “Miss Colombia”?

Harvey took full responsibility for the mix-up on stage, apologizing to the audience. But according to the Miss Universe’s Snapchat, as Harvey left the stage, he said the teleprompter read “Miss Universe – Colombia.” Though that snap is now nowhere to be found, several (including USA Today) have screengrabs.

The other contestants were involved in the voting process

In an interview posted to YouTube and the Facebook account of a pageant blog called Missosology, Miss Germany Sarah-Lorraine Riek told an interviewer she was unhappy with the results. “I really couldn’t believe it, I was so upset,” Riek said, adding that she “was really happy for Colombia — she really deserved it.”

When the interviewer asked why she and other contestants surrounded Gutierrez instead of congratulating Wurtzbach after Miss Philippines received the crown, Riek said flatly: “Because none of us voted for Philippines. I’m sorry to say that.”

If you say so, but did not the Host fuck it up? 

There have been a couple of reports that the teleprompter had Miss Colombia as the winner, but the official card had Miss Philippines as the winner. It has clearly generated a lot more publicity for the contest than it has had in several years. It does sound like a publicity stunt if this is confirmed.

There have been a couple of reports that the teleprompter had Miss Colombia as the winner, but the official card had Miss Philippines as the winner. It has clearly generated a lot more publicity for the contest than it has had in several years. It does sound like a publicity stunt if this is confirmed.

At least these Pageants keep the girls Happy   :biggrin:, I remember Cartoon in BKK back in May 2009 (sorry DC  :rolleye0012: ) dying to get to get back to the loom to watch an event live on TV at Tiffany's, worked out great for me too as she was very thankful  :man_in_love:  

coyld you tell me the difference between a pointless event and an important event?

Quite simply Miss Universe IMO serves no purpose. What the hell does she do? And the universe is a big place...  :biggrin:  I sort of get having a Miss USA (or whatever country) barely. Although I can't stand to watch the pageant. But I don't get Miss World Universe at all.

Is someone being named Miss Universe like an American pro sports team winning their league and declaring themselves world champs? :biggrin:

• Upvote 2