Theft By Overnight Guests

Pdoggg

What are your strategies to prevent theft by overnight guests?

I reckon using the in room safe is a good start.

But laptops usually don't fit.

So a Kensington type lock isn't  a bad idea.

But MacBook Airs don't have a slot for a Kensington lock.

Anyone use The Blade?

http://www.compulocks.com/notebooklocks/macbook-air-locks/the-blade-universal-laptop-lock-universal-tablet-lock-secure-bracket-with-universal-lock-slot.html

A good way to reduce the incidence of theft is to put larger valuable goods in your luggage and lock it. Of course the luggage locks are not that secure, but out of sight and locked does make it less tempting for a guest as they don't know it is there.

Room safes are okay, but they're not really secure - hotel staff have the master combination and some room safes are susceptible to easy opening tactics like these:

• Upvote 3

after watching that video posted by rxpharm--thank you, sir-- i now have only two suggestions for reducing theft by overnight guests:

1. pay barfine *every* night

2. sleep alone.

however, while neither guarantees your 'stuff' will be safe 24/7, one does guarantee your 'stuff' will be  spent more rapidly and the other guarantees you will have a lot less fun despite keeping all your stuff -- making all that stuff hardly worth the having.

almost makes having a gf a logical and cost-containing option...

hey, i said "almost"!

:friends:

• Upvote 3

My el cheapo ultra book has a Kensington slot. But I only have the coffee table to wrap the cable around where I have been staying. But unless I have been drugged someone trying to steal my computer should wake me up. 

There are some fairly cheap security devices that you can attach to the room safe. They wouldn't keep a determined thief out but likely would keep an employee out that wouldn't want to break the device and risk being discovered.

• Upvote 1

I need a Blade for my MacBook Air but can't seem to find it in Pattaya.  Has anyone ever seen it in stores?

The BLADE - Ultimate MacBook Lock, iPad Lock, Tablet Lock, Chrome-book or netbook Lock

The Blade - Revolutionary Universal Bracket Lock - allows you to secure any laptop, netbook and tablet with an ultra-strong retractable locking slot.

With a motto of “No Slot – No Sweat” the industrial adhesive bracket attaches to nearly any device and incorporates a lock slot to the tip of the retractable blade. The Blade’s minimalist style essentially hides it from plain site and is designed to complement the device in use. Adding the Blade makes your laptop, Ultrabook or tablet ergonomically comfortable and improves airflow and ventilation to help maintain optimal device operating temperature.

The Blade Universal Lock gives you options - the option to choose your device, the option to choose your lock, the option to lock it when and how you want.

Seemingly simple the Blade Universal Lock is extremely tough and durable with the ability to hold up to 150lbs of weight!

BB recommended this to me years ago .... http://www.moontrail.com/pacsafe-daysafe-200.php

It is a backpack, but the inside compartment is a wire bag that would take tools to cut apart and get inside.  You put everything inside and attach it to furniture with their good lock.  It would not stop a professional with cable cutters.

I never even use the hotel safe, nor care if the room has one.

• Upvote 1

I've always maintained the theory that bank robbers are called bank robbers because they rob banks :happy0148:  There's always a good chance there will be more worth stealing from a bank than from a grocery store, for example.

Hotel room safes are much along the same lines.  If you were to hazzard a guess where the best bits are located which are worth stealing from a room, the safe would probably be the first thing you'd likely think of, after pockets and drawers perhaps. That's why I would never put my most valuable valuables in a safe.

Another thing I maintain is that, unless your room safe has some other security gadget attached, it is only as safe as the least trustworthy person on staff with access to keys and codes etc.  Plus if two work together they can know when you're returning.

Consider potential daytime theft just as possible as theft by a guest. Don't put valuable things in obvious places.

I used to carry a few small screwdrivers years ago so I could unscrew the back of the TV set and hide my money, CC's and passport in there. Not so easy now with flatscreens, but you get the idea  :flirt2:

BB recommended this to me years ago .... http://www.moontrail.com/pacsafe-daysafe-200.php

That's a very nice item, I wouldn't mind one of those  B)

• Upvote 1

It is a backpack, but the inside compartment is a wire bag that would take tools to cut apart and get inside.  You put everything inside and attach it to furniture with their good lock.  It would not stop a professional with cable cutters.

I never even use the hotel safe, nor care if the room has one.

I have a smaller version of the Pacsafe that is big enough for passport, money and my camera. Bought it because most places I stayed in Cambo didn't have safes. But I use it in Thailand some also.