My island...

PANIC

In 1981 after an 8 year succefull career in S.Africa i decided to go back

to my country Cyprus...on my way there i wanted to visit again an island i worked on location for a movie called Escape to Athena...its a beautifull island and is called Rhodes.That was the island i fall in love from the first time i went to work there,and now my dream to live in this island was coming true...what will follow are pics of my island

post-403-023850600 1314403496.jpg

post-403-084482400 1314403528.jpg

post-403-072598500 1314403540.jpg

Lovely shots. I used to travel to the Greek isles in my younger days, and what sensational times they were indeed. Never made it to Rhodes alas. Quite a famous movie you mention Panicos with a notable cast. Would you be any on the list by the way, maybe our first celebrity on the forum. :rolleyes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079117/

I AM NOT A CELEBRITY i am just a good movie editor ...i will put a pic up for you

post-403-087877500 1314404691.jpg

• Upvote 1

more

The castle of the knights in rhodes has been use for the shooting of some well

known movies as CUNS OF NABARONE,ESCAPE TO ATHENA,and a few others.Below is pics of the main entrance to the castle walls as is today,and the black and black and white pic was when Guns of Navarone was shot

post-403-056689500 1314405722.jpg

post-403-069720700 1314405860.jpg

Always enjoyed my visits to greece!! Food and folks are wonderful. havent been back for ages due to lifes circumstances. Any hot LBs on the isle???

No lbs on the island (why you think that i am so often in thailand),but during the summer you might find a few but nothing like the ones in Los.

Thats the only bad thing on the island,but if you are on ggs then this is the place...

Jeeeezus Paincos... I spent so much of my free time in my 20's & early 30's Greek Island hopping... And my favourite place of all just happens to be Lindos on Rhodes!

I loved Lindos so much, they don't allow high rise developments which has really saved the place & with its narrow, windy cobbled streets, the Acropolis on the top of the mountain, the abundance of natural rock to climb, the drunk, half clad Skandie & British tanned beauties knocking about, plus the beautiful natural bay with it's turquoise virtually clear as bath water non tidal sea it was Paradise! I remember looking at the water one day & saying to a friend of mine how much my goldfish 'Mr. Thomas' would have loved the place!... And he just said, "Yeaaaaah".

WOW, I've just got so many good memories of the place... THANKS FOR POSTING THE PHOTOS MAN!:clapping:

I used to go regularly, maybe two times a year during my early 30's & some friends of mine from South London had the most popular bar in the town during that period, the name was 'Jodie's Flat', if you know it at all?

Funnily enough we've had a lot of discussion on the moving to Thailand thread, but what I haven't let on so far is that I'm looking at European options too. I've actually been contacting an old pal of mine who's coming up to Chiang Mai to see me in a couple in a couple of weeks time & also an ex-girlfriend too & we're all considering Lindos has a place to settle, it's most definitely on the list & obviously there isn't a better time to buy in than right now.

I think I have one photograph of me sitting on the Acropolis here in Chiang Mai & I'll try to dig it out tomorrow, but I'm a bit pissed right now.

@BB, BTW, Greece was one of the places where I've woken up in a tree, but there are others too, I'll explain when I get a chance.

The only thing that I didn't like was the way that the poor little donkeys had to haul everyone up to the Acropolis, I used to enjoy climbing up myself.

My last trip was in 94 when unfortunately I saw my first idiot in a plastic football shirt & they also started these silly rave evenings at the Acropolis site (Fuckin' sacrilege man)! Anyway, the realisation that package tourism had arrived hit home & I knew that was the writing on the wall & so I consequently started my love affair with Asia the same year... 94, the first year I came to the LOS!!!

There's just too many coincidences on this site for me!

If you're around in Feb it would be good to talk, I completely loved the whole feel of the place & I've got an incredibly keen interest in both Classical & Heroic Greek history.

Shit, I've just got to go back with a passable ladyboy one day... Just so long as the ex isn't knocking about, that is!?

Lung...i cant believe that i found somebody who loved and still love rhodes especially lindos...you also brought me back lovely memmories...jodies flat,

yes i remember the place,i dont know if is still there,but tomorrow i will check it out...i only have to make a call.

Actually this is the time to buy here .Prices droped too much,so think about it.

Rhodes 94...beautifull year,lindos by night was fantastic,Pallas beach...fantastic parties(drinking)...but we were young and that time we knew nothing about tHAI LBS(I AM TALKING ABOUT ME).

I fope that we meet in febr and remember our stories again.

I must say that my life somehow has been really nice from 1961,the year i left Cyprus for London to study.A 15 YEAR OLD BOY VIRGIN suddenly finds himself in

beautifull london of the 60s,i stayed at my parents flat at Hans cresent behind Harrods (my late father was a diplomat for at the Cyprus embassy in London)I SPENT nearly 10 years in london,my mentor for being involved in the movies was Roger Moore who just happent to live at the flat on top of us.

At that time tv in england was black and white,and i used to watch the series

"the saint" and that time i was crazy about the VOLVO SPORT CAR HE WAS DRIVING

at the series,and one day i saw that car parked outside our flat,i remember i went to my father and told him that this is the car i like him to get for me.

Then he told me that this one belongs to Mr.MOORE and through my father i met him.Every day after college we used to go at KENCO CAFE in kings rd...I COULD GO ON with my life stories,Shirley Bassy,Cristin Killer,Mandy Rais David,one day when we meet i will tell you all about it....its your fault because you also brought me back so lovly memmories...take care my friend and remember that anytime you want to come to rhodes there is a place for you to stay at my house. :friends: The att pics are:LINDOS BY NIGHT now,LINDOS BY DAY (1994)AND

ST.PAULS BAY today.(LINDOS)

post-403-067510100 1314556287.jpg

post-403-005461400 1314556320.jpg

post-403-017468000 1314556346.jpg

• Upvote 2

Lung dont tell me that the 2 friends of yours from s.LONDON ARE David & Gary.

Jodies flat (the name)its not there anymore but it changed to ATTICA BAR AND IS STILL THERE.Excactly like you remember it,plus an extra bar at the backyard.

David and Gary were at lindos about a month ago with their families...if those 2 are your friends then that what i call small world...take care my friend,you made my night. :friends:

@BB, BTW, Greece was one of the places where I've woken up in a tree, but there are others too, I'll explain when I get a chance.

My last trip was in 94 when unfortunately I saw my first idiot in a plastic football shirt & they also started these silly rave evenings at the Acropolis site (Fuckin' sacrilege man)! Anyway, the realisation that package tourism had arrived hit home & I knew that was the writing on the wall & so I consequently started my love affair with Asia the same year... 94, the first year I came to the LOS!!!

There's just too many coincidences on this site for me!

Tell me about it, my last time on the Greek islands was back in '94 also. Started to go to Spain more after that and learned some Spanish, then discovered Los and have not been back to either since really. Looking forward to the tree story also.