2014 the Highs & Lows: How was it for you?

bumblebee

Well the year is nearly up and looking at the news reviews it can be hard to believe so much happened during the year.  But what about us personally.  What was your high point and low point?

For me the high point was getting herself over to Ireland and having a civil partnership during the summer.

Low point was breaking my upper arm over a month ago and from which I am still recovering.

It has been an all round decent year for me. Two excellent trips to Pattaya, hooking up longtime with Sindy last trip was a total blast, sipping beers with good friends in the PBG, and helping brother BB celebrate his civil partnership down in his home town.

One of the highlights was, after 20 odd years in the abyss, watching my beloved Liverpool come so close (but alas, yet so far) to winning the Premiership. The World Cup was one of the best in years, and of course our very own Wee Rory winning back to back majors.

Not too many low points, other than Christmas day and being so let down by my own flesh and blood. Lesson learnt on that score I suppose.

• Upvote 1

We lost some great people though. Lou Reed, Philip Seymour Hoffman , Robin Williams and last but not least for me personally , my father.

If getting old (older) and fat (fatter) and balder is good...Then I had a good happy year............And I truly did.....It is both wonderful and miraculous to still be here among the living...........I am thankful...............

I am truly sorry about your pop Seven.......Losing those we love is extremely hard...Arthur Golden wrote in Memoirs of a Geisha,  "At the temple there is a poem called 'Loss' carved into the stone.  It has three words.  But the poet has scratched them out.  You cannot read 'Loss.'  Only feel it."  

But trust this old guy...In time the wounds heal...They scab over...And they leave a scar to remind us of the love...

• Upvote 3

Quite an interesting year for me since they offered me a package at work & I retired, much to my utter surprise, a few days before the offer expired -  a few years earlier & a couple of dollars lighter than I figured but the job had long since become depressing & mind-numbing & what's left of the staff was largely bereft of humor, touchy & wearing down my psyche daily.... life is too short: I cannot find a single male in my direct bloodline who reached 75 so I jumped ship.  :yahoo: 

Taking my time about the future...

• Upvote 3

I am truly sorry about your pop Seven......

But trust this old guy...In time the wounds heal...They scab over...And they leave a scar to remind us of the love...

Thanks, Kahuna. I still have you , no?

Yeah, time heals in a way, you don't forget but somehow you learn to cope, you have to.

• 2 weeks later...

Lows....

Man City winning the Premiership

Highs....

Visiting the Philippines in May to see my lovely squeeze and going to the beautiful Boracay Island and Tagaytay City

Liverpool not winning the Premiership

Going to the Philippines again in November to see my squeeze and finally meeting Donnykey ( Boot), this was followed by some days and Juri's Party in Angeles which was awesome,many many kudos to Juri, ninewives, Doug, Nico, Kim, Jimslim, Eyemahk, Donnykey for making it happen

Stopping over in Pattaya for 5 nights on the way home and meeting up with old friends ( too many to mention),

I am still chuckling about one incident in the PBG with BigTel when we had arranged to meet there, I got there early and  sat at our usual table. I looked up as Tel walked past me and sat directly behind me at the next table (we were virtually back to back to each other), the waitress asked him if he was ready to order and I hear him say "not yet Im waiting for a friend"

I couldnt help laughing to myself and said "Hi Tel", to which he turned around surprised and replied "Sorry, I did not see you there"...

.Obviously :biggrin:

Having Xmas Dinner with all my Family again

• Upvote 1

Time flies! duke007's earliest post that I could find on TLF (formerly ATS) was June 19, 2007 and join date was Jan 10, 2005 - he probably posted earlier than 2007, but I think there was a format change that lost some earlier posts.

donnykey's (boot)  earliest post I could find was March 31, 2006, and his join date was March 25, 2006.

As for me, one of the highlights of 2014 was seeing my father improve from an attack of Bell's Palsy he had in spring. I saw in him summer and the right side of his face was significantly paralyzed, he was dropping food out of his mouth when he was chewing on the right side. I did some research and found Vitamins B6, B12 and zinc could help some people. He's 83, so the doctor didn't have much to offer besides the standard treatment of corticosteroids to reduce the nerve inflammation. When I saw him in December he was much better, probably 85% or so. Much more movement on the right side, and hardly dropping any food when chewing. Of course my mom was happier as well!

The other good thing is that he probably doesn't have Alzheimer's but probably a milder form of dementia. He had problems in 2007, and the doctors initially diagnosed him with Alzheimer's but his rate of forgetting things is not as severe as an Alzheimer's patient would be.

A low point would be my workplace had a 26% budget cut, which put a crimp on our ability to offer new programs and increase capacity. Luckily the salaries were not cut, but no increase over the past 4 years is tough.

• Upvote 2

Time flies! duke007's earliest post that I could find on TLF (formerly ATS) was June 19, 2007 and join date was Jan 10, 2005 - he probably posted earlier than 2007, but I think there was a format change that lost some earlie

Defo joined Jan 2015 and also made my first that month, how time fly's :geek: