We landed a space probe; WHERE?

JaiDee

Come on guys, you must admit this is some amazing shit!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/12/world/comet-landing-countdown/index.html

Space probe scores a 310-million-mile bull's-eye with comet landing

Took TEN years to get there!!  Absolutely amazing........

''Rosetta took off from Earth 10 years ago carrying Philae and traveled 6.4 billion miles before arriving in early August at the comet.''

• Upvote 2

I watched everything I could on it last night, RX.......such an amazing technological feat!

As humans we should be proud when some of our smartest people can pull off a stunt like that.....and the research they will now do will tell us a lot more about the origins of life.  Fantastic stuff.

This is an amazing story and I have been following it.  It seems that they did not land it that well and it sounds as if the mission could go tits up very soon.  I really hope they can get that thing moved and landed where it can actually anchor itself to the comet.  It appears that, due to the screwed up landing, the probe is in shadows all of the time.  As a result, the solar panels are not exposed to the sun and its running on battery power.  that runs out this weekend.

Can you imagine working on this for 10 years, having it land, transmit data for a while and then go dark forever???  Talk about disappointment......

This is in no uncertain terms a MAJOR achievement even if it fails its ultimate goals. Just to land on a zillion million an hour comet and sit there for the ride is unbelievable. Bravo to all that made this happen. AND it did no cost all that much compared to the costs of the wars we wage annually.  :happy0065:  :happy0065:  :happy0065: to the team.

They've used the same strategy of hibernation for Philae  as for the main probe - Rosetta. I expect that unless Philae is hit by an object or blown off the comet by an erupting geyser, that some more data will be forthcoming and possibly completion of the rest of the experiments they had scheduled as the comet changes orientation so more sun will beam onto the solar panels.

• Upvote 1

Yes, completely fascinating.

It's amazing what mankind can do, they say the odds of us actually pulling this off were quite slim, could you imagine the disappointment of all those scientists and support staff {something like 430 people all told} had it missed the mark?  They still got some helpful readings along the way, but basically 10 years of hard work would have gone down the drain.

The creationists and crazy religious people hate this type of work, because it will help us discover more about how we got here; they think they already have the answer.

This makes me BOIL! Fuking "PC" "feminist" filth

Dr Matt Taylor’s shirt made me cry, too – with rage at his abusers

An astrophysicist who deserves our applause has been pilloried in his moment of triumph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/11234620/Dr-Matt-Taylors-shirt-made-me-cry-too-with-rage-at-his-abusers.html

More and a picture of the shirt here. Played in a Metal band too! What a guy. We need MORE people like this, not less

I'M SO SORRY, sobs Rosetta Brit boffin in 'sexist' sexy shirt storm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/15/rosetta_boffin_dr_matt_taylor_tearfully_apologizes_for_inappropriate_shirt/

Vid 'He is just being himself' says proud mum of larger-than-life physicist