10 of the best places to live abroad

JaiDee

It's interesting how Ecuador has suddenly starting appearing on these lists only in the last few years when they were never mentioned at all before, I wonder what has made the difference? And what countries are all these expats coming from suddenly? I could understand if it was countries like Argentina, Panama or Colombia... but what does Ecuador have/offer better than these countries I wonder?

It's cheap! I understand Cuenca is a well-known haven for Expats who can't afford America and the health care system is pretty good.  I looked into living there myself but I can't stand the Spanish language, no way I could live in a Spanish-speaking country full time.

Well that's kind of my point, the other 3 are cheap as well, unless Cuenca is substantially cheaper & still offers a good lifestyle & healthcare. I'll have to read the survey. Buenos Aires, Panama City & Boquete, as well as Colombia would seem to have a more sophisticated environment culturally, but as I said I know nothing about Ecuador & may be assuming wrongly, but I'm sure it's no BA. 

It came out #2 on International Living's Best list this year (I'm a sucker for reading these) behind #1 Panama & before #3 Malaysia.

http://internationalliving.com/2014/01/the-best-places-to-retire-2014/

Thailand finished 10th despite having scored a lowly 62 --ahead of only Cambodia -- in "special benefits". 

I don't know what the authors consider "special" or "benefits" but I dare say virtually every reader of this board would consider the "availability of beautiful ladyboys" as being both. Fix that one fundamental failing in their rankings and Thailand soars from 10th to 3rd or even 2nd--depending on how you like the LB's of Malaysia and/or Costa Rica; the Philippines probably settles in around #5; and bottom-dwelling Cambodia may well wake up in Thailand's old spot at #10.

As for Ecuador's sudden rise, perhaps it has something to do with American retirees' growing appreciation of never having to calculate an exchange rate because Ecuador uses the USD as its official currency.  Very convenient to us Yanks, but of no real use if there's no one there worth spending it on.

:character00218:

The thing which appeals to me the most of all these Latin and South American countries is their proximity to the US; I was damn tired of being so far away from my home base when I was in Thailand, you're literally on the other side of the world.  It's cheap and the weather is decent but that can be found in this hemisphere.  Way down there on Hefe's list is Belize, which I am seriously considering; it's a 2-hour flight from Miami and the main language is - English.

Way down there on Hefe's list is Belize, which I am seriously considering; it's a 2-hour flight from Miami and the main language is - English.

belize used to be my go-to holiday destination, but then i discovered the ladyboys of thailand. and i've never gone back.

i fear those beautiful beaches would feel barren with no bulging bikini bottoms to catch my eye...  but, if you do decide to give up the hunt in return for proximity, i suggest you go the extra mile and get off the mainland to catch the cooling breeze on ambergris caye.

belize used to be my go-to holiday destination, but then i discovered the ladyboys of thailand. and i've never gone back.

i fear those beautiful beaches would feel barren with no bulging bikini bottoms to catch my eye...  but, if you do decide to give up the hunt in return for proximity, i suggest you go the extra mile and get off the mainland to catch the cooling breeze on ambergris caye.

One my Army mates was I think stationed here years ago...

Belize (11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/bəˈlz/) is a country on the northeastern coast of Central America. It is the only country in Central America whose official language is English, though Belizean Creole (Kriol) and Spanish are also commonly spoken. Belize is bordered on the north by Mexico, to the south and west by Guatemala, and to the east by the Caribbean Sea. Its mainland is about 290 km (180 mi) long and 110 km (68 mi) wide.

With 22,800 square kilometres (8,800 sq mi) of land and as of 2014 a population of 340,844,[1] Belize has the lowest population density in Central America.[5] The country's population growth rate of 1.97% per year (2013) is the second highest in the region and one of the highest in the Western Hemisphere.[1]

Belize's abundance of terrestrial and marine species and its diversity of ecosystems give it a key place in the globally significant Mesoamerican Biological Corridor.[6]

Belize has a diverse society, with many cultures and languages. Originally part of the British Empire, it shares a common colonial history with other Anglophone Caribbean countries. From 1862 to 1973, its name was British Honduras. It became an independent Commonwealth realm in 1981, retaining Queen Elizabeth II as head of state.

I like the idea of it because I can get there in no time.....and they speak English. And it's warm. And it's on the ocean.

Thailand is just too bloody far when an emergency or family problem arises back at the home base, and frankly I was tired of living in a place where English is not the first language.