30% Less Russians In Pattaya This Low Season

pdogg

Mr. Sinchai Watthanasartsathorn (President of Buinessman Association and Tourism of Pattaya City, Chonburi province) revealed the amount of Russian tourists coming to Pattaya during the low season has fallen by 30%. The lack of Russian tourists coming to Pattaya has affected the Pattaya market because they spend more money than any other tourists that visit Pattaya.

The main cause of the decreasing amount of Russian tourists and other tourists might because of the economic problem with the army running the country and the weakening money value because of the Ukraine war crisis that affecting Russia too and their currency is down 10%. Many small travel agencies have gradually closed their businesses while the big travel agencies in Pattaya city such as Pegus (Thailand) Co., Ltd. have continued doing business.

Many hotel business operators in Pattaya city reveal that the hotel business in Pattaya city has been moderately affected from the decreasing amount of Russian tourists because of the political unrest and the curfew which has been enforced. Also Mr Sinchai said he doesn’t know if the situation will improve because Russian tourists book their hotels with short notice compared to Americans and Europeans who book well in advance.

Furthermore, there has also been a problem with insurance companies who will not insure tourists who travel to countries that have political unrest.

Russian tourists are now traveling to the new tourist destinations such as Vietnam and Myanmar which are a lot cheaper causing about 20% of the Russians tourists that came to Pattaya to go elsewhere.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/russian-tourists-30-pattaya/

In the next few years Russia has to re-finance its currency. The EU & North America have imposed a ban on buying Russian securities & bonds. That was in retaliation for Russia's involvement in shooting down MH17. Putin is retaliating already but the real test comes when they run out of money.

I can only speculate but I suspect Russian visitor numbers might be far less than today. Or they might be banned entirely if they are deemed to be an enemy combatant. By the time the shit hits the fan with Russia's currency, Obama's successor will be in office & if America elects a Hawk then it will be on for young & old.

Some drunk idiot shoots down a passenger plane & the world finishes up at war. We can only hope wiser heads prevail. 

Just heard its bad in Samui too.

It'll probably get worse for the Russian tourist before it gets better. The US and EU ban also affects access to spare parts for planes and navigation services. Problem for them if they are not flying Aeroflot.

The Nuclear option is if USA bans Visa and Master card from working with Russian Banks. No credit card, no hotel reservations, no tourists.

Has anyone had a problem recently getting insurance cover to travel to Thailand, basically are we still covered?

As with all insurance policies they are always trying to wriggle out of their obligations anyway they can .

If you read the small print in almost any policy (certainly anyone I've had ) they stipulate you are not covered in the event of political unrest in the country you are visiting and I'm sure a military coup would more than suffice .

Whether that means you are not covered in any instance or just not covered in instances relating to the unrest I'm not sure and I wouldn't like to test it .

I was actually flying on the same day that all hell broke loose in Bangkok back in May 2010 and received a call from my booking agent (Trailfinders) offering me a full refund if I didn't want to travel , the girl on the phone seemed quite surprised when I told her I was used to this now and would travel anyway .

She did remind me though that my insurance would be null and void and I was travelling at my own risk .

Imagine getting run over by a drunken motorbike taxi driver on Beach Road , if he was wearing a red or yellow t shirt I could see the travel insurance company calling it a political act  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

One plus is no beer guts and lobster visions, plus bloody awful umpa bands on Walking Street. 

He guys Im sure its been discussed do they go for Lb's much

A few have veered into La Bamba by "accident" over the last couple of years i hear.  Good to see you again CC, when are you next back in town?

Has anyone had a problem recently getting insurance cover to travel to Thailand, basically are we still covered?

I insure with the co-op,a very trustworthy outfit,never had a problem with em...theyve just wrote to me saying they wont cover me for holiday insurance this coming year(when current travel insurance runs out)....i dont think it has anything to do with thailand....im not even sure they know i go there......anyway,what i'd like to know.....is it possible to insure with a thai health insurance co when i arrive in LOs,or or the internet prior to arrival.....any idea >?

Interesting observation about the Russians making everybody else look good, Lance.

A few months ago, I was having dinner and drinks with Jaidee, and he mentioned the same thing. Truth is, for years, the locals complained about the Brits, Irish, Aussies, Europeans and Americans. We were too loud, brash, obnoxious, drunk etc. etc.

Well I think they now see us in a different light after a few years dealing with the Russian hordes. Obviously when manners and common decency were put on the school curriculum, the Russians decided to opt out of these classes.

Interestingly, one of my suppliers spends quite a significant amount of time in Russia, and he thinks the world of them. Reckons they are lovely people, helpful and charming, though direct and uncomplicated. Obviously the people he does business with are a far cry from the one's in Thailand.

• Upvote 2

^ +1 Yeah, we all have fellow country men that don't make us proud :)

Up here in Chiang Mai, the Thais were so upset with the Chinese flocking to Chiang Mai University that supposedly they initiated an entry fee to discourage them from entering.

I have to chuckle because TAT targeted the Chinese and Russians, seeking to increase their arrival numbers, you know, in the vein of 'quality' tourists.

I've said it before: Be carful what you ask for, 555!

Truth is, for years, the locals complained about the Brits, Irish, Aussies, Europeans and Americans. We were too loud, brash, obnoxious, drunk etc. etc.

Well I think they now see us in a different light after a few years dealing with the Russian hordes. Obviously when manners and common decency were put on the school curriculum, the Russians decided to opt out of these classes.

We tend to class people on our own personal experience but it would be wrong to class all Russians or anyone else for that matter as having no manners , being rude etc etc .

Perhaps it is the destination they visit that holds the key to this ?

Pattaya doesn't  exactly attract the creme de la creme of Thai society or any other society , there are some scary looking sorts from all races and nations knocking around .

Its more to to with a cheap holiday destination , cheap hotels , food , alcohol etc etc etc same as the Med was back in the 80's til it cleaned up its act .

I mean why on this earth would anyone want to go to Pattaya for a family holiday ?  

• Upvote 1

Back when Crabby had the Corner Bar running smoothly and busily, there was a small group of young gay Russian fellows who patronized the place. They all seemed nice enough to me. 

being gay in russia isn't a good option.......theyre a homophobic lot......as for rudeness,they sure are,no concept of manners whatsoever,watch them on the bahtbus,they never budge up to let you sit down.....check it out

• 2 weeks later...