Calling all aging UK Soulboys & Funcksters

Luung

Elvis Presley said Jackie Wilson had the best voice he'd ever heard .

He was a pretty good darts player aswell - although a little too fond of the old cooking sherry :drinks:

do u know jocky wilson had groupies FFS-just goes to show its dead easy to get a shag when youve been on the telly!

btw-Elvis also said that Andy Stewart(donald wheres ya troosers) was the best Elvis impersonator he'd ever heard.....mmmmmmmmmm,not so sure about that,ive seen better down the Labour Club

Nice one's Katana & Jim.....good to hear that Elgins track again.

Bit corny in reply......Your plane has landed....,You've cleared the scrumage at passport control at Swampy, and your in your cab to Patts or Nana........(Ok the distance is approximate)....and you've got that excitment that that has been building since you've last left............

(just listen to the words which sums it up )

Lung

Without out posting too many bits....just put Gold Mine into you You tube header and there 3 films with Chris Hill and paula yates.....Should pass the time in low season in LOS

Funk you very much PadThaiBoy! :drinks: .. And sorry it's taken a while to reply but this demanded a proper response.

And thanks for posting the OJay's & Edwin Star! The disco stuff ain't really a bit of me, to be honest & has I said before I was already looking for an exit route when the scene started moving that way, but please keep posting them, it's all part of the scene & we've all got our own preferences.

Man, did I used to want to fuck Paula Yates!!! I'm pretty sure that vid was from The Tube (remember it)?

The vid was from about 4/5 years after my time & it was an unrecognizable scene to me, but it still bought back memories, especially has they mentioned the more 'Avant Garde' & contempary Camden Palace, which is one of the places where I'd moved on to.

Back in my day the Goldmine was real 'underground' & ahead of the game, with a real enthasis on hard core Funk & Jazz Funk derivatives... Also we knew how to dress & dance... And I mean 'really dress'! IT WAS AN ABSOLUTE PRE-REQUISITE THOSE DAYS,JUST HAS MUCH AS THE MUSIC! I was walking clothes horse man!.. Who were those brightly coloured, cheaply dressed, High St fashion people in that film footage? I wouldn't have stood in the same room as them those days!

And Jeezus, what about that divvie bird at the end of the second vid, what the fuck was she all about!?!

Chris Hill, I first saw him at the Lacey Lady (remember it) in 1977 & I remember my first night in there when a mate of mine actually went up on the stage & wanted to 'stick a nut' on Hill because he'd been taking the piss out of him 'jiggin' about on the dance floor. Anyway it was a predominantly black club those days & Hill got them to turn on us! How we got out the car park alive that night, fucking nobody knows!

I actually met Chris Hill a couple of times & he was exactly the same arrogant Pratt that you saw in the interview... But he probably was the first 'celebrity DJ' & he was really entertaining earlier on before he got into the 'foam party & other antics that you got at the disco end of things.

The Caister website... Oh my good fucking God!.. How much more fucking cringingly embarrassing can it get, (you don't go do you)?... But fuck am I glad I witnessed it! Thanks man, I'm indebted to you! And even more certain now in my mind that I really did make the right move relocating to the LOS!

Do you remember Keith Capri PadThai?

@Katta & JimSlim, great choices again!!!

Anyway, one of these tracks here is actually more reggae (Dillinger), but they are all quintessential Chris Hill sounds from my era... Just to compare the difference to the later period of 'Disco'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRr2kf84V2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpbG1ThpH4

R.I.P. Paula Yates

post-224-092328800 1308983655.jpg

my favorite movie about soul music........you seen it yet Lefty? THE Commitments...........the singer Andrew Strong was 16 yrs old in this film!

Thanks for posting Willy, I'd forgotten that one as well, it was a brilliant film & I'd happily see it again, but I will say this... The fat kid couldn't really sing!!!.. He's up there because he had the persona for the job & he's white, unusual looking & with a bit of a voice.

Play ANY one of the tracks from the film & compare them to the original & you'll see exactly what I mean.

It was a lot of years ago now, but I remember his voice, it's a voice for belting out the blues which is something that most people who have the ability to shout loudly can do. I say the same thing about Jim Morrison, he had a pub singers voice, no more than that... But you can't tell his fans that, they'll want to lynch you!

I've actually had more rows with people about the fat kids voice than I have about hunting Willy, it's nearly got just as out of hand too, because the public want to love him in the same way they do those 'sadoes' who go on these programs like 'Stars in their Eyes' & all that sort of stuff... Yet one more reason why I'm here & not stuck to the TV in England watching that dirivily shite!

Here's the original, I think you'll find it a really interesting comparision... And just listen to Wilson Pickets screams (especially towards the end) & the way that he hits the odd high note too, the fat kid wouldn't get anywhere near doing that, not all the time he's got a hole in his arse!.. Do you know Picket could actually scream louder than James Brown, in fact it was the stronger voice of the two.

ANYWAY, WATCH WILSON PICKET SHOOT THE FAT KID OUT OF THE SKY! :hi:

yep,gotta admit...wilson pickett was the real deal......I never really got into soul music,for one thing,I couldn't dance for shit.....plus for me ,it never did it for me the way heavy metal/rock music did....another thing....my dress sense was borderline slob,and I needed the money that would be needed for crombie overcoats and ben sherman shirts,oxford bags and brogues to buy drink and recreational drugs....it was a case of priorities for me...drink/drugs OR soul music/trendy threads?....no contest.

I know what you're saying Willy, it was the same for me too... But I was a fucking good shoplifter :ph34r: & I always took enough 'happies' out with me to pay for the nights fun & more... Just like the lads in the 'Soulboy' film actually, JUST BETTER DRESSED!.. Yeah, not proud of it now, but I was one of 'them'.

The lack of dancing skills should never have held you back mate, I've got 2 left feet when it comes to playing football, but it never stopped me enjoying a kick about.

Willy, I'm just a committed music lover (of all types) & I've got a particular soft spot for older soul music & funk, but I could say just the same about Punk, Heavy Rock, Blues, Avant Garde Classical or even Folk music, you name it... for me it just has to be a good example of its type, whatever it is!

I just can't bear life when it gets down to that Kiley Miogue, Beyonse, Pattaya Beer Bar music level, I find that as offensive as it is unsettling & harrowing :diablo: =@:bad:

Anyway, on with the show... The Undisputed Truth... YOU + ME = EQUALS LOVE & HARMONY.. YEOOOOOOW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPH34mn_Fbg

yep,gotta admit...wilson pickett was the real deal...

Ah Wilson Pickett, my man. I'd have got down on my knees and sucked his thick black cock every time he sang In the Midnight Hour for me. That's all he had to do.

I already listed that in the all-time favourite song thread - just adding it here for the sheer boredom value of repetition.

I just can't bear life when it gets down to that Kiley Miogue, Beyonse, Pattaya Beer Bar music level

Here, here.

Ah Wilson Pickett, my man. I'd have got down on my knees and sucked his thick black cock every time he sang In the Midnight Hour for me. That's all he had to do..

5555 :lolu: :lolu: I'm still giggling out loud!.. But unfortunately I've got pretty graphic visual image of this cunjured up in my head now Ken... I just hope it goes away!

Again I hope I'm not going off topic since I don't know the UK phenom this is about, but I've always had a soft spot for Lee Dorsey, listen to his greatest hits often

No!.. You're right on topic Hefe, they're brlliant posts mate, keep em' coming!!!

I've loved everything you've posted on any of the music threads that we've here had so far; you've got great taste 'IMO' & you've got a nack of pulling real neat stuff out of the bag all the time too... You're cool man! :clapping::yahoo:

Here we go, bright & breezy for a Monday morning!.. The Supremes & 'falling in & out of love', this just never fails to ring a smaile to my face!

Keep em' coming Kattana & Jim :drinks:

'The Bottle'.. One of my favs Jimslim!

Loved the first track Jim....new to me.

Had a good weekend surfing in Cornwall (UK). Great weather, well chilled, surfing and watching some fit GG's on the beach.

Then the DJ who was comentating a surfing competition put this track on .......Perfect, as it could be heard across the beach.