Calling all aging UK Soulboys & Funcksters

Luung

Sorry Lung I must have missed it , yes the main passion in my life is soul music Northern Soul in particular (for anyone wondering what that is it is just rare American soul music that was played in the north of England hence the term northern )

And yes the 100 Club is the very one you mention ,a mecca for the rare soul crowd , now the longest running soul club in the UK , just bring your own talc to spin on . :hi:

I was a spinner man, known for it, no shit!!.. No one's gonna know what the fuck we're on about here??

I've just downloaded the film & I'll give it a whirl tonight!.. I'm a Londoner so obviously the scene was different down my way & there was a fictional film made about the scene & the clubs we used to go to back in the mid to late 70's too, but I've forgot to bloody name of it.

Ah, the old 12" soul, funk & jazzfunk import singles, brings memories flooding back. I remember the young Pete Tong (well his a year older than me actually) when he first started at one of our local discos & we used to bring him our jazzfunk imports to play, because he didn't really have a clue at the time & that's the absolute truth! My lot were all the dancers & he sort of became one of the crowd & then within no time at all he was doing The Alexandra Palace all dayers, the Castor weekender's & all that stuff. From that he then started writing for Blues & Soul magazine & the rest is history.

I've been out of London since 2000, but I remember the 100 club really well, but saying that, the last time I went there was to see the UK Subs when it was becoming a bit of a punk venue somewhere around about 1978/79. They had soul nights them days too, but they weren't all that, the scene was more in clubs like the Global Village, Sundown, Lacy Lady, Room at the Top & Crackers back then. In fact the scene was based more out in the suberbs to be honest. Anyway, I could go on about this for hours, so for everyone's benefit I won't!

I dance like a black boy me! :hi:

Sorry to turn this into a stroll down memory lane for the soulboy funkateers amongst us, but I was one too. Still got stacks of 12" singles in my loft, including numerous white labels, plus a wooden beer crate (as you did) full of 7's.

In the mid eighties I loved Radio London, with Robbie Vincent, Tony Blackburn and Steve Walsh and went to many 'Radio London Soul Nights Out' at the Lyceum.

I recall getting a lump in my throat when I heard big Steve Walsh had complications following a car crash in the late eighties and ending up dying.

Call me a weirdo if you wish but if someone offered me the sexiest ladyboy in Thailand for a night or a rare single I'd been after for a while the piece of vinyl would win out every time .

Another reason why I couldn't live in Thailand I'd miss my tunes B)

Give it "Wigan"

post-329-056860200 1308100404.jpg

Somehow we got carried away on the moving to Thailand thread??

Ok, that's four of us already who are aging Souldoys from various incarnations & periods of the scene in the UK... Obviously 'Nothern Soul's' has gone down in history as the most famous version of this particular jandre' particularly for being so uncompromisingly purist, the crotch wrenching acrobatics & most of all those fucking high waist band trousers... But the scene had been going on all over the country in it's various forms since the mid 70's & in the south at least a handful of differnt major scenes developed out of it one way or another.

I jumped on myself in 1976 whilst still at school & my particular area of interest is in older, more obscure soul & the mid to late 70's funk scene.

I know there's at least one more of us out there too 'Essex boy', so I'll PM him & hopefully he might jump on this?

Obviously I love to hear from anyone out there who apreciates his soul music regardless of what nationality you are, this isn't exclusionary & at the end of the day I'd especially love to know what the scene was like in the USA at the same time!.. Because I'd like this to be as much an education for me as much as it is a stroll down memory lane.

Finally, I'll only ask for one thing... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... NO COMMERCIAL DISCO SHITE OR I WILL ASK PDOGG TO REMOVE THE POST!

Right I'll start off with two favs of mine, firstly the obscure but magnificent Tyrone Davis from 1973 with 'Can I change my mind'... This Youtube version sounds a bit slow to me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_7d5vy536Q

And for my next offering here's Sly & the Family stone from 1971 with the classic funk hit 'Running Away'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05iCaNPjuNQ

Oh, fuck it, just one more... Heres the funkiest band there ever was, Parliament with their 1976 hit 'Flashlight'... But the vid's from a 1978 concert.

Great idea Lung .

The ultimate crossover tune first played at the Blackpool Mecca .

A fitting tribute to Gil Scott Heron who passed away recently .

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2F-XX0Ol0?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2F-XX0Ol0?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2F-XX0Ol0?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Oh dear I might be able to dance and DJ but i sure am useless at posting You Tube clips :(

With this type of forum, all you have to do to post a Youtube video is this;

Copy the name of the video from the WWW. etc......called the URL at the top of your browser

Next click on the 3 little box icon when you are making a post, you will see it above, left of the blue t (twitter icon)

Then just paste the video clip in the box that drops down.

Then click Insert Media

Voila, hopefully :rolleyes:

Oh dear I might be able to dance and DJ but i sure am useless at posting You Tube clips :(

I had a load of problems with this myself Jimslim, it was driving my fucking' mad!

Anyway, Don't even bother cutting the URL from the top of the screen it doesn't have to be that complicated & it didn't work for me anyway!

When you look at the viewing screen on your Youtube page, underneath it you will see three rectangular boxes & a square one, with the third rectangular box having the word 'Share' written on it... Click on that box & a more elongated rectangular box will drop down with the URL already highlighted within the box. To the right of this box you will see a small check box with the word 'options' written in it, click on that box & two more small boxes will appear, one will read 'long link', check it.

After that you just copy or cut the new longer version of the URL & the paste it into your post, it's started working for me, I'd sulked off of the music threads before that.

Also one last thing, when the 'share' facility wasn't working I went into my Youtube account page & checked every box which had the word enable in it... Best of luck!

@Katana, yet again, brilliant choices again mate, the Luther Ingram track blew me away! And I just don't get turned on to that much new stuff nowdays, so much appreciated!..

Not knowing that much about Northern Soul, only what I'd heard from other people, the odd documentary back in the seventies & eighties & the the film I downloaded the other night, I've got a 'handle' on the sound now!.. I absolutely love it! And I didn't quite realize how far out of your way you lot will go to be bathing in the completely obscure from so long ago.

It's real up-tempo, danceable, big production sound (even if it ain't), it's more Tamala Motown, down in the South we were more going with the Philadelphia sound & funk.

@Dixon Cox... Post!.. I actually used to go to a lot of Robbie Vincent gigs in the late 70's, he was a lot better on a dance floor DJ'ing than he ever was on the radio... But he was just such an arrogant C..., I loved the music, just hated him!

Anyway here's the next few offerings, maybe a bit more reflective of what we used to listen to... The Jackkie Wilson one still does me in now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0I9Ua8kmHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMniyUyqN_E

Not sure exactly how narrow or broad the Northern Soul genre is, so Lungster, if this tune doesn't fit, lemme know and I'll delete and put on the thread about bands no one has ever heard of.

This is by Kid Creole and the Coconuts, an offshoot of Dr Buzzard's Original Savanah Band.

I enjoyed it PDogg! Although I don't quite know what I'd call it?

I liked Augustus Darnell & his little sidekick Coco mundi (bet you forgot about him)?...And I went to the first gig Kid Creole & the Cocconuts ever did in London at the Dominion theater in Tottenham Court Rd in 1981 when I was 20yrs old.

They started really well with that big Band, come Rag Time, come Salsa, come Soul, come Funk sorta mix, but has they got more commercial they went right down the pan, it was a shame, initially a great band with a lot of energy & a superb stage act!

BTW, Jimslim & Katana57 are the Northern Soul men... To them I'll be no more than some soft Southern poofta.

BTW again, 95% of my choices won't come within a the Northern Soul remit, but this is for anyone who likes their soul n' funk... It's great to see a non UK post! Even if it isn't quite within the remit.

I've just been on another music thread & seen an old post of mine which is perfect for this, so without further a do for the second time around, from 1976 here's Miami with 'Somebody kill that roach'. this was an incredibly influential track & a dope smokers anthem at the time

Sorry a bit a late on this thread.

Havent logged on here for a while.

Did all the Robbie V stuff , Lycum all dayers, Gold Mine, Canvey Island stuff.

Still my music of choice.

My real oldie fav.....Curtis Mayfield, Move on Up.....

and in the next band up... Serachin....by the silky Luther Vandross

Frankie beverly & Maze.....Temps, 4 Tops.......Oh Fuck you've got me going now.

BTW, ''Jimslim & Katana57 are the Northern Soul men... To them I'll be no more than some soft Southern poofta''.....I guess that makes 2 of us then Lung.

Edited by PadThaiBoy
  • Upvote 1

Lung it worked !

No probs, just glad you're posting! After all your avatar was the inspiation for this... Well that & fucking up the moving to Thailand thread, of course.

Two great choices man!

Sorry a bit a late on this thread. Havent logged on here for a while.Did all the Robbie V stuff , Lycum all dayers, Gold Mine, Canvey Island stuff.Still my music of choice.My real oldie fav.....Curtis Mayfield, Move on Up.....and in the next band up... Serachin....by the silky Luther VandrossFrankie beverly & Maze.....Temps, 4 Tops.......Oh Fuck you've got me going now.QuoteBTW, ''Jimslim & Katana57 are the Northern Soul men... To them I'll be no more than some soft Southern poofta''.....I guess that makes 2 of us then Lung.

Fuckin' Goldmine at Canvey Island... You're joking, I just don't fuckin' believe this, it's one small world man! 76/78 I used to virtually live in the place, although it was the other side of the river Thames from me it was still a local club & only a short car ride, plus we used to go in force.

Do you remember the sea wall outside where the car park was? Well I remember diving up the top of that bank drunk & speeding out of my head one night to have a leak after the club had chucked out & I vaulted over one of the wooden 'groins' (tidal bereakers) only to find out that the tide was in the other side of it & I landed in sea water upto my fucking chest & you know how pretentious the scene was back then, it really fucked my 'cred', I must have been wearing about 2/3 months worth of wages... Anyway, I got laughed out of the carpark & then no one wanted to take home in their car either... And all my drugs got soaked... Jeezus, everybody lived on speed in that place!

I love Curtis Mayfied, he was going to be my next choice, but I've got to be honest & say that by the time the scene had started to move onto that Luther Vandross sorta era I was already on my way on to other things, the more Avant Garde 'Romantic' side of the scene through 'Billy's' & then the famous/infamous 'Blitz', where I was a member. It was that & 'Blues clubs' from then on & the only times I really went back to the soul clubs after that was to catch up with my old mates & pull birds.

Anyway, this still gives me tingles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8XPffsAYk

And here's Curtis

And to finish... You've just got to get a load of this... This is where I'm coming from baby!!! :bow:

My memories of the gold mine was on command Chris Hill would say something and anyone daft enough would run out of the club , across the road and sea wall into the sea and then back into club and carry on dancing.

Never made it to Caister but it is still running an sells out from one event to the other..

Many of the old DJ's and of course old soul boys and girls.

Still a shagathon apparently....

some good photos on here of older people who really should know better!

http://www.weekenders.co.uk/caister/index.html?cbookab.html~mainFrame

Anyway.....heres 2 more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSpHRqop5oo

oh fuck it....one more.

My idea of heaven..... sitting in a bar in Krabi or Samui lookin out onto beach (pref LB) chillin, playin pool and ......

You are in Pattaya and you call up your favourite ladyboy .

Unfortunately she's booked up for a month with Hans from Switzerland who is 83 years old and as ugly as sin but he has pockets stashed with baht .......

Ah well you think and you wander down Soi 6 picking up the first minger you see , but somehow it just don't feel the same .....

Hence - kissing her and crying for you .

You're in the taxi to the airport,going home.

It's either early in the morning,still dark,as you look out, everyones heading home with their "special one " for the night..or you're catching the nightflight...and you're watching everyone start their evening.Drinking ,eating,wandering ,mongering.As you look out the taxi window :search: :search:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s944FOqQwjs

Northern soul,Yorkshire...well'ard!!