Calling all aging UK Soulboys & Funcksters

Luung

Been working hard the last week or so (earning for the air fare!) but still following this nice thread.

Here's my offering ......

Memory's of some good nights out.

PadThaiBoy, Keep working man, just think about the Pun-tang!

I loved Frankie Beverly & Maze & I even had a girl whom I was engaged to beck in the early eighties take me to go & see them at either Hammersmith Palais or Odeon, I can't remember which?.. ANYWAY,THEY WERE REAL SHIT, WHAT A FUCKIN' LET DOWN! Apart from George Benson at the Albert Hall in 1978 & an afternoon with Robert Fripp & Eno at the bath Amphitheater, it was the next most boring gig I'd ever been to! Great track though man!

And I was going to do the Isely Bros next, so nice hit man!

Here's a change of mood with one of the funkiest tunes going, this reminds me of spinning the Waltzers on the old fairgrounds. Yeah, I was a Fairboy & I loved it, working the 'Waltzers' was the best way to get the tunes!.. I just loved the Ohio Players!!!

The ORIGINAL 'Love Rollercoaster'... Fuck off Red Hot Chillie

Peppers, you're silly little boys & you're SHIT!

Oh fuck, one more... THIS ONE'S FOR NOK, I'M GONNA BRING A BIG JAR OF HONEY DOWN, SPECIAL FOR HER, NEXT TIME I GO TO PATS!!!!

Nice one PadThaiBoy pretty darn funky .I love this tune real uplifting soul for a Sunday morning

Dance a hole in the floor to this one :hi:

Slim, (can I call you slim)? I knew I'd struck 'gold' with you!.. So far every single track's a 'beaut' man!!!

Two stupendus tracks & the Mandril track, 'Never die' just blew me away again, superb mate, I have to get up & start moving to that, no matter where I was!

BTW, I've remembered Luther Ingram, I watched Wattastax last night & how the fuck I could have forgot about him, God only knows!? Here's the original, 'If loving loving you is wrong,I don't want to be right'! Everyone remembers the Millie Jackson version, it's a real shame. Anyway, if only you & Kantana knew how much I appreciated getting turned on to 'If It's All The Same To You Babe'!

And here's an uplifting one, if that's the right phrase?.. What exactly does that mean, I'm an old bloke & thats just trendy lingo to me??? I'd call Al Green uplifting, but I'm sure that's not the context that you blokes use it in?

Anyway, here's the Bros Johnson... I used to love this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbxUtFDKz8k

Two more brilliant tracks 'Slim'!.. :clapping: And yeah, brilliant intro on the second track... Certainly made me feel like putting a smart suite on & flying off somewhere exotic to shoot someone :ph34r:

Bit more commercial, but this along with Smoky Robinson & Al Green got me started off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQEhuylZmg

And this was the non commercial one that got me in... I've posted them before on theis thread, but here's another side to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKyXA_nMVQ

Nice kantana... nice.

Ba pa-pa-pa ba pa-pa ba ba ba pa-pa ba pa-pa ba pa-pa ba ba ba, ba-pa ba-pa ba ba, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

Don't get much better than this, 'Everybody is a Star', Sly & the Family Stone

:air_kiss:

Jackie Wilson, Curtis Mayfield, Wilson Pickett, Joe Tex..... I don't know what a funckster or Northern Soul is but I like these tunes!!

Since someone mentioned movies I have to believe you've all seen "Wattstax"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WIoFiOnGvc

Hefe, I downloaded Wattstax & watched it the other night... What can I say, "WOW"! I'd heard about it, the black Woodstock & all that, but I didn't know it & I didn't realise how many great acts were involved, but what I liked even more were the dialog, inserts of people talking & Richard Prior's comedy routines... THANKS MAN! :clapping: I just love it when someone turns me onto something new, even if it's old & this is I why we need some imput from you Yanks, it's your music at the end of the day.

The Soulboy scene was something that started back in the early to mid seventies in the UK, but it evolved completely seperately in both the North & South of England, hence 'Northern Soul' which has carried on until today. Anyway, for me, apart from getting into some great sounds, the coolest thing of all about it was that it was a place where black met white (I come from a very mixed environment) & you never got any trouble! Kids went to 'out dance eachother' on the dance floor instead, cool eh'. Anyway, I'm still knocked out by the fact that there's actually over a handful of us on this cozy little forum.

Here's 'The Bar Kays' with 'son of Shaft', one of my all time favorite funk acts, but I'd never seen any live footage until now! :bow:

And here's the second part of the Rufus Thomas set 'Funky Chicken', just watch the crowd go man! :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSf_JDwooU

I know this is blues, so technically it's a no, no, but it's just gotta go in!.. Albert King 'I'll Play The BLues For You'

Staple Singers 'let's do it again'

And last but most definitely not least 'Soulville - Black Moses', Isaac Hayes :bow:

Nice ones Lung and Kantana.

Going back to Maze....was a deep night apart from the couple of big hits. However not as long as going to see Funkadelic & the George Clinton entrouge at the Hammy odeon.....god that was a heavy night. So much dope in the air I left with a heavy head.

Keep 'em comming

Picture the scene .

Its about 4am at the 100 Club monthly allnighter .

I'm lucky enough to be in London for the weekend so of course I'm there wild horses wouldn't keep me away .

Then out of the blue amongst countless great tunes this monster comes on the sound system .

I've followed the northern soul scene since I was a kid (25+ years ) and I've never heard this played at any venue its that rare (only original pressings are played at soul nights )

Lets just say if you were lucky enough to own this track on the La Beat label the sort of money you would shell out to purchase it would keep you living in Thailand for a few months (even on brother Rossco's budget !)

Even though I was tired I took to the dance floor like a madman , spins backdrops and splits followed .

Almost a religious experience .

Jim.............

''Even though I was tired I took to the dance floor like a madman , spins backdrops and splits followed.''

Can we expect a demo in Famous on your next visit!..................will certainly WOW the girls!

I tip my hat to your knowledge. :bow:

I tip my hat to his moves too.

If I tried 'em now,I'd be slipping discs(in my back) left and right!!

Sunday morning soul,for you all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctljIaPLSc0

Picture the scene .

Its about 4am at the 100 Club monthly allnighter .

I'm lucky enough to be in London for the weekend so of course I'm there wild horses wouldn't keep me away .

Then out of the blue amongst countless great tunes this monster comes on the sound system .

Even though I was tired I took to the dance floor like a madman , spins backdrops and splits followed .

Almost a religious experience .

FOR FUCKS SAKE, I HOPE YOUR TROUSERS WERE UP TO IT!!! :gym::shok:

Picture this, it's Friday night at Lung's, he's finished the decorating upstairs & the newly glazed parquet floor's dried off nicely.

He's resting up downstairs on the sofa getting stoned watching Jeremy Wade's 'Extreme River Monsters' on Animal Planet.

It's cold, we've had a lot of rain on Doi Suthep lately, so he runs upstairs to put on a dinky little pair of fluffy socks given to him on his last flight over from the UK.

He gets to the top of the stairs, he's thinking about Jims post & he realises the potential as he slides along the floor in spite of his injured foot he's been nursing for about 10 months now.

He stands there, fluffy socks on, composes himself, his arms push out slightly, he winds his upper body up in a motion similar to a washing machine, he feels good!

One spin... Two spins, perfect, Lung really is quite the little nimble toed ballerina!

He goes for the big one, once around, twice around, three time around... Forth one... Oh no!.. He veers off, crashes into the wall, looses it & tumbles halfway down the stairs to the mezene level where the balcony is!... Silly, silly old Lung. :vava:

I'm now very awkwardly perched on my seat & my hips are killing me, along with the foot & think I might need to go see a physio tomorrow.

Full credit to you man!

Specially for you Jim, 'Dance Dance Dance' by the Casualeers, it was far from the best version I could find, but I just had to post this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHuKbqpSxg

• Upvote 1

Nice ones Lung and Kantana.

Going back to Maze....was a deep night apart from the couple of big hits. However not as long as going to see Funkadelic & the George Clinton entrouge at the Hammy odeon.....god that was a heavy night. So much dope in the air I left with a heavy head.

Keep 'em comming

Oh my God, you had to endure that as well, shit I feel for you man!

I spent half the night leaning over a security rail taliking to one of the security guards (I knew him from my home town), with my fiance, her mate & her boyfriend looking daggers at me all night... I did however manage to fire a few joints up!

You saw Funkadelic, you lucky swine, now I'm jealous!.. I loved the whole Parliament, Funkadelic, P'Funk thing, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Fuzzzy Haskins & the rest of the crew... And did you know that Sly Stone was a part time member of Parliament?

Can I ask how old you are?

A +1 for anyone who can tell me what year Parliament started up?

Another +1 for the highest amount of members at any one time?

This was a real 'Gaff' (fairground) sound when I was on the old Walzers, it's the cords played on the high scale of the Hammon Organ that really made these tunes work on the fairgrounds!

Imagine the lights flashing, everything spinning around at 100 miles an hour, this playing in the background & you've got your hand stufed up some 14yr old bird's jumper... Lung was very happy.

Do I have to put the handcuffs on your mother... Who else would come up with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU_m9mlYQ9s

And here's the big funkadelic hit, don't need ny into... This was the big 'Billy's' nightclub sound in 78, do you remember Billy's at all PadThaiBoy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpbG1ThpH4

Lung.....How old am I?......depends on what day of the week it is, and how hard a day I have had at work.

But the birth certif says 52

Here's one of my all time favourites

One of my favs too PadThaiBoy!

I'm not going to be able to look myself in the face if I don't +1 this, nice one man!

I'm a cute 50 myself.

BADA DA BADA DA BADA DA BAP BAP BADA DA BADA BAP BADA DA BADA DA BADA DA BAP BAP BADA DA BADA BAP... WHERE'S THE PARTY PEOPLE, WICKY WACKKY, WICKY WHACKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIkkPwjnpfs

I was still "A dew drop on me Da's knob"!!!

Here's one for you and your physio to dance to:

Thanks Katana, but he's a big clumsy 6'5" American man... Great sound though!

So me you & PadThaiBoy are old bastards, I wonder how old JimSlim is if he's still doing the splits?

I wore the back end of my underpants out dancing to this one!

Lung

Having had the real pleasure of meeting 'young' Jim I am not suprised he can still do the splits and spins.

I'll let him disclose his age but he is a 'fair bit' younger than us old gits.

Trying to sort a quick sortie to Patts in mid Aug (50/50)

How far from Nutstsville do you reside?

If it does not come off I have already booked for New Year (1-15)

Lung

Having had the real pleasure of meeting 'young' Jim I am not surprised he can still do the splits and spins.

I'll let him disclose his age but he is a 'fair bit' younger than us old gits.

Trying to sort a quick sortie to Patts in mid Aug (50/50)

How far from Nutstsville do you reside?

If it does not come off I have already booked for New Year (1-15)

Funny you should say that PadThai, I was shooting for the same time 50/50, weird eh'? I know Essex boy should be there also, but then he should be on this thread too?? Have you met him on any of your previous sabbaticals, by the way?

I reside in the civilised & leafy suburbs of Chiang Mai myself, so I can spin down to 'Nutsville' no probs, although I'll have to take it a bit easy this time around as I caned it 5 time during this high season (Fuckin' amazing, no one visits for 4 years & then they all came at once like buses).

Anyway, I'd promised myself to be prudent & give it a rest for a bit, but I've gone & got myself a thing about Am from Luckylove, plus I need my fix of Big Oil & the Mamasan too... Hopefully I can plug all three hole in one trip?

On with the show... Here's Brass Construction with 'Movin'

• Upvote 1