Coup!

Trenton42

About 200 people staged a protest against the military takeover at Ratchaprasong shopping district this morning.

The protesters, who called themselves Red Sunday group, gathered in front of McDonald outlet and shouted abuses at a group of army troops dispatched to contain the protest.

Meanwhile Mr Sombat Booonngarm-anong, editor of Lai Chud magazine and a supporter of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, posted a message in his Facebook page threatening to launch a protest campaign, “Eat Mc to Protest against Coup”, every Sunday at McDonald outlet against the coup.

He urges supporters of his campaign to wear red and to gather in front of designated McDonald outlets to conduct any conceivable activities such as eating or exercising.

• Upvote 1

He urges supporters of his campaign to wear red and to gather in front of designated McDonald outlets to conduct any conceivable activities such as eating or exercising.

A couple days ago Mickey D's rolled out their new USA mascot in the USA.  It has been used in other parts of the world for awhile now.

Ronald McDonald was mostly yellow while the new mascot, Happy, is mostly red.

post-45-0-44849000-1401023401_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Why are they arresting the Thaksin relatives?

Thaksin likes to use his relatives (as well as maids and drivers) as proxies.

A report just last week from the Govt Audit Office said that the total cost of the rice scheme to date was 878 billion THB and that the LOSS was estimated at 500 Billion THB.

Under the constitution (which has been suspended) if convicted of malfeasance, Yingluck could be compelled to pay damages. That case was headed to the Senate, but now that the Senate has been disbanded, there's a chance it might be picked up by the court martial. And there's little reason to believe the court martial would be lenient.

And that's just one case. More are going through the pipeline.

If I had my way, they would also be investigating the flood. Still believe that a was man-made disaster in an attempt to wash Bangkok away.

• Upvote 1

Under the constitution (which has been suspended) if convicted of malfeasance, Yingluck could be compelled to pay damages. That case was headed to the Senate, but now that the Senate has been disbanded, there's a chance it might be picked up by the court martial.

Not quite what happened.

The Rice Scheme was handled by the NACC,, National Anti Corruption Commission  (which is not a court).

It found Yingluck guilty of negligence and 1) forwarded the matter to the Senate for an impeachment vote (now moot), and 2) forwarded the evidence collected to the criminal court, which had said pre-coup that they were pursuing the matter and might have a judgement within 2 months.

You can assume the criminal court will continue and bring charges against Yingluck and others. The most damning evidence is the government to government contracts which were all fraudulent. 

Its should also be noted that the 2013 Amnesty bill covered crimes thru mid 2013 and would have exonerated Yingluck of any criminal charges that were ever found with the rice scheme (or megaprojects, or floods, or anything else).

Another possible reason for detaining Thaksin relatives and restricting their movement is to use them as hostages against Thaksin sponsoring violence.

• Upvote 1

The decision was relayed by Mr Thaksin's legal adviser, Robert Amsterdam, and revealed exclusively by the ABC.

I turned on the news this morning to hear someone raving on about how the military was corrupt, how there was only one legitimate government, how the military was resorting to force, how this was a shameful event for Thailand, how everything I believed yesterday was all wrong. I wondered who the hell was talking this nonsense. Turned out it was this guy, Robert Amsterdam. 

The problem was it was only revealed at the very end of his interview who he represented with a small byline after his name on the bottom of the screen. I am sure most people watching would have assumed he was an independent expert on the matter. The guy was blathering bullshit for all he was worth. I guess Thaksin can afford the best representation but this guy is one of those lawyers who give the rest of them a bad name.

• Upvote 1

CNN did the same crap years ago, only time I ever wrote a letter to a network saying it was despicable of them to air comments from a  paid lobbyist as though it was impartial news.

Bangkok post had to turn off comments because Robert Amsterdam and his staff were filling it up with Thaksin propaganda. 

• Upvote 1

Not quite what happened.

The Rice Scheme was handled by the NACC,, National Anti Corruption Commission (which is not a court).

It found Yingluck guilty of negligence and 1) forwarded the matter to the Senate for an impeachment vote (now moot), and 2) forwarded the evidence collected to the criminal court, which had said pre-coup that they were pursuing the matter and might have a judgement within 2 months.

You can assume the criminal court will continue and bring charges against Yingluck and others. The most damning evidence is the government to government contracts which were all fraudulent.

Its should also be noted that the 2013 Amnesty bill covered crimes thru mid 2013 and would have exonerated Yingluck of any criminal charges that were ever found with the rice scheme (or megaprojects, or floods, or anything else).

Another possible reason for detaining Thaksin relatives and restricting their movement is to use them as hostages against Thaksin sponsoring violence.

The NACC is an investigative body; it can indict but not convict. If you're from the States, it's exactly like a Grand Jury only different. In this case, think of it as the NACC forwarded the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate. The only question is whether she will be convicted or not. For example; Bill Clinton was impeached, but he was not convicted. Impeachment is the actual trial in the Senate.

With the rice malfeasance impeachment case alone there are a number of penalties hanging over Yingluck's head including restitution, political ban, and prison. IIRC, the Senate can assess all three. You may be right about the criminal court; don't know as I haven't followed that part.

The Senate will pursue the case if only to assess penalties. It's not a moot point because she is no longer in office (if that is what you were thinking).

The 180-day expiration date of the amnesty bill should be here about now, if it hasn't passed already. Thus that bill is truly dead.

• Upvote 1

Hey Snick, having just reread the thread, I think we've got our wires crossed.

What I tried to say in the first post is that in Thailand, impeachment may include the removal of Yingluck from office, as well as criminal or civil penalties.

And you may be right about the criminal court getting involved, but I haven't been following that side of things.

• Upvote 1

I meant its moot since the Senate has been dissolved.

Pre-senate dissolution, I was under the understanding that a senate vote to  impeachment her (i.e., find her guilty of the impeachment charges brought by NACC) would ban her from politics for 5 years, I did not see any mention of other penalties or being forced to make restitution.

A criminal conviction could certainly require restitution.

• Upvote 1

Hey Snick, having just reread the thread, I think we've got our wires crossed.

What I tried to say in the first post is that in Thailand, impeachment may include the removal of Yingluck from office, as well as criminal or civil penalties.

And you may be right about the criminal court getting involved, but I haven't been following that side of things.

Yea the two 'cases' get mixed up easily .

I expect lots of trials in the near future against Yingluck and other PT politicians, their is tons of dirt out there and the Democrats have been collecting details to feed to the courts for the last few years. And i'm sure you'll see a lot of people change sides and give evidence to keep themselves free (like they do everywhere).

• Upvote 1

BBC & CNN still not broadcasting on True dish.

Red Shirts shut down bus/minivan service at Victory Monument this afternoon.

Seems BTS has a new strategy for dealing with Red mobs; as the mob nears the station, BTS shuts it down.

It was funny to see the demonstrations today; more journalists than protesters!

Military nabbed 11 leaders of the Red demonstrations held today and last weekend.

Looks like the military also got 2 of the shits responsible for killing the children in Trat.

• Upvote 1

Yea the two 'cases' get mixed up easily .

I expect lots of trials in the near future against Yingluck and other PT politicians, their is tons of dirt out there and the Democrats have been collecting details to feed to the courts for the last few years. And i'm sure you'll see a lot of people change sides and give evidence to keep themselves free (like they do everywhere).

Western press, including the NYT, seems to be consistently getting (or maybe "giving") it wrong.  They are clinging to the idea that a democratically elected government has been unjustly overthrown and leaving it at that.  Very disappointing as there is so much more to this.

• Upvote 1

Western press, including the NYT, seems to be consistently getting (or maybe "giving") it wrong.  They are clinging to the idea that a democratically elected government has been unjustly overthrown and leaving it at that.  Very disappointing as there is so much more to this.

How far away from the truth is that really?

• Upvote 1

appreciate your ground reports....in some way i feel safer travelling to bangkok now than before....am i wrong?

Personally, I'm not worried. And if friends or family were planning a visit, I wouldn't warn them to stay away. In fact, a friend is arriving next week Wednesday, and I expect he'll enjoy his stay.

It's true a curfew is currently in force, but with many venues opening earlier, a lot of fun can be had before 10 PM.

If something happens and the scene changes drastically, I'll post it here.

• Upvote 1

How far away from the truth is that really?

IMO, pretty far. There are a lot of dynamics at work here.

The government's days were numbered anyway. There's a reason the Acting Caretaker Prime Minister didn't submit his name to the crown for approval, and it was probably just a matter of days until the Senate removed him and the few remaining cabinet members from office. And that's not even considering all the court cases presently working their way through the system. One alone (immunity debacle) could see over 300 MPs impeached, and if convicted banned from office for 5 years; don't know if it also includes criminal and civil penalties.

For Prayuth it may have come down to what's best; letting the government work on reforms and rewriting the constitution with PTP dragging their feet and suffering frequent deadly attacks from the Reds, or get rid of the trouble makers so people can live in peace, and get started on the hard work of reforms with the backing of the crown. As we're learning more about the Reds, it looks like Prayuth did the right thing.

Most westerners think coups are a bad thing, and in most countries they are. But in Thailand most coups have turned out to be good for the country. Too soon to know how this coup will turn out, but Prayuth's actions seem to be measured, and I think that is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Candy Crush Saga is still working for me  

Grrrr.... a pox on the rat bastard (that would be Thaibound!) that introduced me to that vile little time-waster.

I've probably put about 200 hours into the damn thing since he innocently showed me the game on our trip from Patts to Bkk last February. 

• Upvote 2

Grrrr.... a pox on the rat bastard (that would be Thaibound!) that introduced me to that vile little time-waster.

I've probably put about 200 hours into the damn thing since he innocently showed me the game on our trip from Patts to Bkk last February. 

I am too embarrassed to admit how many hours I wasted on Cityville.

But once I quit, I never missed it or had a desire to go back.