Ladyboy Bars & Your Comfort Zone.

bumblebee

When I first started coming to Los I loved being in any bar that had LBs. Pattaya of course was the mother lode in this regard and I could not get enough of venues with hung staff.

Nowadays I tend not to go to many ladyboy bars because of my situation but when I do go out with guys to do the circuit I almost cringe with dread when some bars are mentioned as possible stop off points. Now this didn't happen in previous times but now my tolerence for certain types of places is very low, usually the "buy me a drink" joints the moment I am seated, and I just don't feel comfortable anymore, something that was water off a duck's back for me years ago.

Am I just being too sensitive or is this quite commom amongst us.

I don't think you're being overly sensitive. I believe this stuff evolves much like anything else that was once novel and within time its' allure wanes. At first it is all new, wildly exciting and very uniquely naughty.  As you experience it more and more you learn its' pros and cons. You eventually find your areas of comfort, interest and enjoyment and avoid the rest. 

I too now cringe with the prospects of going to visit particular bars. The same bars that years ago I would yearn to get back to. I once enjoyed going into a bar and being fondled, groped, and seduced while spending considerable baht on lady drinks, bar fines, and cock rentals fees. Now, more often than not I perish the thought and dislike the practice intensely. I prefer to go slow and pick through the herd. If my night proves unsuccessful as a result, then so be it. 

Interestingly enough when I was in Pattaya during December with my girlfriend I ached to get out on my own and do what one does in this city as a single man. Now that I am here on my own it's no big deal and I kinda miss the ball and chain. I also find I am becoming increasingly more interested in drinking, eating and conversing with good friends rather than spending the bulk of my time running around town from ladyboy bar to ladyboy bar.

So to respond to your query BB, I think it is quite natural and common to feel what you are feeling. I certainly feel the same way. Perhaps younger men don't…at least not yet.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

For those who have visited often it must be common. I don't like the aggressive behaviour at all & I can only imagine how bad it is now that the Thais are killing their tourism industry with the current political impasse that's going on in Bangkok.

• Upvote 1

I certainly don't have anywhere near the experience of many of the BM's and based my initial Pub crawls on what I was seeing and reading on the forums before arriving... a kind of "To Do" list of bars and was convinced that 1 in particular would become my "local".

Well we all know what happens with previously conceived "To Do" lists.............and I soon decided to try and find any bars mentioned or on a map that had Ladyboys.

The net result has been that in trying to find these bars I have found myself becoming increasingly more comfortable in bars virtually unmentioned with a mix of LB's and GG's.

This is probably because I am not particularily attracted to the Amazonian silicone enhanced super stars found in abundance in the exclusive LB bars. :sign0007:

• Upvote 2

Yes adventure is a large part of the excitement for me. For example, this morning as the sun was coming up I walked up Pattaya Tai then along 3rd Road for a couple of hours or so. Other than the creepy monks doing their early morning religious bumming there were a whole slew of interesting characters poking about. Not the usual left over nocturnal fraternity but genuinely early risers who were about their various tasks. If anyone looked odd and out of place it was certainly me. Life in Pattaya as the day is birthing is a whole other experience. You all gotta try it sometime but not after being out and drunk all night, hahahaha! Wake up at 05h00 and take a stroll. 

• Upvote 1

Guest sustra

"buy me a drink"...especially when asked with that lofty look that some ( not all ) lb in Thai have.......is really irritating...a complete turn off!

i know that i have to buy you a drink but at least smile!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

I also find I am becoming increasingly more interested in drinking, eating and conversing with good friends rather than spending the bulk of my time running around town from ladyboy bar to ladyboy bar.

Amen to this, after just about 20 years of not quite annual trips my last were most interesting for these activities &, outside of the parties, I've gotten increasingly bored with the bar scene the last 2 trips. (I don't hang out at bars at home either.) So much so I am taking a respite from LOS & hoping to get some perspective on "what's next". I do intend to return again, but I want to focus a bit more on the local culture/food/activities & less on the easy Pattaya bar routine. I get too easily bored & it's a predictable evening.

It's a hard place to beat tho with friendly people, beautiful women/ladyboys, cheap prices great food & exotic sights, I don't minimize any of those & I'm hard pressed for a replacement. I'm curious to return to the Mediterranean region after a long absence... any suggestions?  Please post here

To be honest Pattaya just didnt do it for me last trip at all, maybe Im bored with it, getting old or Ive have had too many trips and its getting too mutt same same??? :huh:

Maybe I will get the urge to return sometime in the future, but this year I shall be taking in pasture's and adventures new in the Philippines B)

"Buy me a drink" is a huge turnoff.

But even if they don't ask me to buy them a drink, I know I am disappointing them if I don't.

Since being in a relationship I'm not on the prowl, it's just easier to meet with my mates in a non-bargirl venue and then no bargirls are disappointed.

What if I was looking for company?

Then the bars are great!

And back in the day, I did buy a ladydrink to ease the introduction.

But unless I was having a great time in that bar, I'd rarely buy a second drink and either barfine or move on after one drink.

But I wanted it to be my idea and not be asked.

But what I really hated was "buy my friend a drink" after I bought her one.

• Upvote 2

Guest sustra

to avoid this...i play the game of sobriety....just drink coke or a juice in lb bars....i am usually asked : " you do not drink alchool???" oblige them not to drink alchool...but this could last maximum till 9 p.m.....

If you are sober they behave in a different way because they know you know.....perfectly which game they are playing...

• Upvote 2

I remember an incident a few months ago when one of the guys who was in town for a 2 week stint was on his last night and mentioned an LB bar he wanted to go to for one of his final drinks. Those of us who like to chill in a relaxing environment looked at each other in a mutual expression of "what can we do, it's his last night" discomfort and reluctantly went to the place as if we were walking the green mile.

Anyone who asks me for a drink doesn't get one .

Someone who doesn't ask does .

I always find this a good guide in choosing a companion for the evening too .

I'm like a lot of guys here I only like ladyboy bars for picking up ladyboys , if I want to meet my friends and relax its better to do so in a neutral venue .  

• Upvote 2

Guest sustra

neutral in the sense that ladyboys are neutral......like Swisse and their banks...doesn't matter where the money comes from...they will accept it!

Anyone who asks me for a drink doesn't get one .

Someone who doesn't ask does .

I always find this a good guide in choosing a companion for the evening too .

I'm like a lot of guys here I only like ladyboy bars for picking up ladyboys , if I want to meet my friends and relax its better to do so in a neutral venue .  

I could have made that post myself, Jim... Totally concur, especially the bit about choosing a companion for the night.

If they show a little bit of restraint & a certain concern for your wallet, then generally, that'll usually say a lot about them & the way that you'll be treated... The type that keeps priming you for drinks & being pushy will usually be an absolute pain once bar fined... And continually want more... And then more... And then fukin' more...

Other than that... I just plain & simply don't really much like that many ladyboy bars anymore, especially the factory 'type' bars with all their glossy, shit shallow, superficiality & arrogance, where you more often than not get treated like a cunt!... They serve a purpose every once & a while & that's, that.

• Upvote 3

Guest JustSumGai

wow, and I thought I was alone in thinking some of this stuff. Back home I don't ever go to bars unless MAYBE on a rare Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday I'll go downtown to see if any of the old crowd shows up. The attentive (pushy) types were fun for a SHORT time.  I'm on my last 5 days here in Patters, then it's up to Bkk for a couple days and on a plane for home. I'm actually looking forward to being in a place where things mean something again. Been poked, prodded, finaggled, cudjoled, and generally viewed as a walking wallet almost everywhere I've been in the last almost 4 months and it got OLD a while ago. I believe they're more money hungry here 24/7 than back in the U$A. The veneer wore thru a couple trips back. I can see why some would check out Phils, etc.  Still, I think it's just a delaying tactic. This trip I actually found myself wondering if I'd come back, EVEN WITH a ladyboy "wife". I will of course but I think my trips of 3 and 4 months are over. Two, with more money to toss around is looking much better. 

Now, as to the cringe bars...NAME em and discuss, that should be a bit interesting. I've never really hit the bars in Pattaya and would NOT be here were it not for my wife being here, well north of crazy street I might add. I got dinged in Sensations by a cashier givin me change for a 500 when I handed her a 1000 and yesterday someone copped my wallet and the last of my cash at the Pattaya bus station. Although I'm gonna head to a money transfer place and give it another shot for a few days I spose. Hopefully I'll meet up with one or two of you gents. Never met SiamSam for example. Has anyone seen TheGame lately? 

• Upvote 1

Good to catch up with you again yesterday JustSunGai after 4 years.  Regarding cringe inducing looks when certain bars are suggested, well anywhere that you are likely to be approached for a drink does it for me, but maybe it's not the same for other guys in the same bar.  I have never been a big fan of soi 6 or 6/1 and 7 & 8, whenever those locations are suggested I usually make an excuse and bail out.