Name that country

JaiDee

Here's another one to keep us going. Can anyone name this city, less than 20 of its 180 or so towers still standing. The second pic being an artists rendition of this medieval 'Manhattan'.

I know its in Italy but just can't recall the name of the city offhand.

I know it too but the name isn't coming to mind. I damn well should think of it though, I've only been there three times. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh................. just remembered, San Gimignano. 

I remember looking at the map & noticing Florence, Sienna & San Gimignano made a neat triangle. And I remember there is a Museum of Horror (or some-such name) in SG. I first went in with my father years ago, next with a girl I met up with & later with a couple I was travelling with. 

I only mention the above to allay suspicion especially as I am sure I spelt the name correctly. The second G always fascinated me & after many trips to Italy I enrolled in the local Dante Alighieri Society to learn Italian. I wish I had kept it up.

Paccers, I am sorry to say that it actually isnt San Gimignano... i know that place also has these medieval towers.

This city in the pic is known as the red city

WTF!

The red city? Oh well, back to the drawing board.

And I remember there is a Museum of Horror (or some-such name) in SG.

I think it's a Museum of Torture, not horror. Full of medieval instruments that were used on miscreants back in the dark ages. Worth a look IMO.

WTF!

The red city? Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I think it's a Museum of Torture, not horror. Full of medieval instruments that were used on miscreants back in the dark ages. Worth a look IMO.

Yep the red city paccers,  home to one of the most famous of all Italian foods. The colour also refers to its political leanings 

You'd be a great man for the Jomtien quiz night WR.....when are you in pattaya next?.....

btw-this is a great thread for my edumication.....

Fond of the oul quizzes alright, dont think i will be there this year mate, going to try and vary things up a bit and then come back when i have a bit more hunger for it. 

Any takers for this one?

post-1491-0-33391200-1413749207_thumb.jp

post-1491-0-29965400-1413749278_thumb.jp