The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

The book or the movie?

Actually, BOTH are very well-done.....Krakauer is a great writer.

Nevada is the state I was looking for, sorry for the confusion......I saw an article that said it's 115 miles to the nearest McD's from land in northeastern Nevada.....you have to drive all the way to Oregon to get a burger!

The book.

Googling around it appears the 115 miles refers to the Lower 48.   There was a place in South Dakota that was the furthest but when a Mickey Dees in northeast California closed, the Nevada spot became Numero Uno.

Only 18 McD's in Alaska with most of them in Anchourage, two in Juneau, two in Wasilla, and the rest spread out.

Wonder what the answer would be for 7/11s in Thailand?  :flirt2:

I was curious & confused since I lived near this general region a number of years ago & so I looked on google maps & I don't think it is NE NV but rather central NV they meant. NE NV has Elko & I-80 That is the space between, I think, what is called the "loneliest road" in the US going thru what is now Great Basin Park & south to Las Vegas, an area of desert containing missile & bomb testing areas, the atomic bomb test area & Area 51 where reportedly the aliens visit. I think Elvis lives there now too.

SE Oregon is remarkably empty & void of Mcdonalds tho.... Don't know what's up there, maybe Lefty?

One of the loneliest stretches of roads in the US starts at a place called 4 Corners. Literally an intersection where 4 states meet. Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah. Take your pick of those 4 roads. Go in any direction and it's pretty damn lonely but unforgettably, undeniably beautiful. The ultimate land of spirits in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sure most of us know this story so this is more a non-question. If that makes sense.

When Mahatma Gandhi lost a sandal out the window of a train, what did he do? And what was his explanation?

I invite all those who haven't heard the story to speculate. And if there's no response by tomorrow, fire away.

I'm sure most of us know this story so this is more a non-question. If that makes sense.

When Mahatma Gandhi lost a sandal out the window of a train, what did he do? And what was his explanation?

I invite all those who haven't heard the story to speculate. And if there's no response by tomorrow, fire away.

speculation:

He threw his other sandal out the window too.

He explained "this way perhaps some dude will have use of my sandals and walk in my footsteps".

ok, this one's harder

What do the movies "Army of Darkness" and "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (original, non-keanu version) have in common ?

harder because I've never seen Army of Darkness.  The Day The Earth Stood Still (original) is a personal favorite of mine. 

I'll guess Klatu.

I think there was also a band called Klaatu in the 70-80s.

Does anyone remember that Twilight Zone episode when the saucer lands, much like the one in The Day the Earth Stood Still, & the aliens disembarked & wanted to meet earth's leaders (I can't remember if it was outside the UN) in order to discuss their interplanetary trip with them.

A book was left behind that the intelligence agency deciphered the title as "To Serve Mankind". Upon knowing this the leaders trooped into the saucer, but then the translator upon further progress in deciphering the book yelled: "Stop them.... it's a cookbook!" as the saucer closed its door.

• Upvote 1