The Big LBR Non Google Trivia Quiz

bumblebee

Guest sustra

The portoguese Magellan could not complete the circumnavigation because he died in the Philippines during the trip,,,anybody that has been in Cebu, between a lb and another one, could visiti the Cross of Magellan ( probably the only attraction iin Cebu, toghether with the Rock...the first fortress of Spanish empire )

it was completed by a co-commander named ELCANO that was spanish...practically the founder of Cebu 

i had a few San Miguel on my visit to the Cross of magellan in Cebu, but i still remember these informations

• Upvote 1

Still no-one has got my question about the monarch who was crowned in England and France?

Here's a clue:

The name begins and ends with the same letter.  Middle name was 'the'...

Henry 5th ... the Frogs were badly defeated i think at Agincourt.. in fact a massacre maybe. twas all about the archers if i remember

Here's another monarchy question:

Which King was considered a giant in his time. His life size statue sees him measured at 6' 3". There are even some reports of him being 6' 7".

And here's a hint - today's Prince William is a direct descendant of one of his bastard children.

The portoguese Magellan could not complete the circumnavigation because he died in the Philippines during the trip,,,anybody that has been in Cebu, between a lb and another one, could visiti the Cross of Magellan ( probably the only attraction iin Cebu, toghether with the Rock...the first fortress of Spanish empire )

it was completed by a co-commander named ELCANO that was spanish...practically the founder of Cebu 

i had a few San Miguel on my visit to the Cross of magellan in Cebu, but i still remember these informations

Spot on Sustra.  While the Magellan expedition circumnavigated the globe, the man himself met his demise in Cebu, perhaps the first of many an adventurer to do so. :biggrin:   Here is an extract from RT67's favourite, Wikipedia about the event:

Rajah Humabon of Cebu was friendly towards Magellan and the Spaniards; both he and his queen Hara Amihan were baptized as Christians and were given the image of the Santo Nino which along with a cross (Magellan's Cross) symbolizes the christianization of the Philippines. Afterward, Rajah Humabon and his ally Datu Zula convinced Magellan to kill their enemy, Datu Lapu-Lapu, on Mactan. Magellan wanted to convert Lapu-Lapu to Christianity, as he had Humabon, but Lapu-Lapu rejected that. On the morning of 27 April 1521, Magellan sailed to Mactan with a small attack force. During the resulting battle against Lapu-Lapu's troops, Magellan was struck by a bamboo spear, and later surrounded and finished off with other weapons.[22]

Here's another monarchy question:

Monarchy questions for Yanks are like us throwing out a question about American politics to a foreigner.

Such as; who was Lincoln's secretary of state?   He was later instrumental in the purchase of Alaska, which at the time was known as ''--------'s Folly'' and he also has a town there named after him.

Get that one paccie, and I will try the Monarchy question.

Get that one paccie, and I will try the Monarchy question.

You shouldn't be offended by monarchy questions, a couple of the early Kings of England played an important role in the establishment of the United States. If it wasn't for mad old George III who decided to tax the hell out of his new colony, particularly tea, there would have been no Boston Tea Party, no American Revolution, no noble cause for George Washington to cross the Delaware, the American colony may have gone the same way as Canada.

As for my knowledge of the US & its history, I don't profess to be a scholar on the subject but I do know more about it than some Americans I have met & I am sure I know a hell of a lot more about it than the average American knows about Australian history.

I have read about Alaska being described as someone's folly but it was a long time ago & his name is long forgotten. I do know he bought Alaska from the Russians for something like two cents an acre but he was widely criticised for it. And I am fairly sure his name wasn't Fairbanks. That's one of two Alaskan towns I can recall at the moment. Fairbanks & the place Sarah Palin lives, Wassella or something like that.

So sorry JD, I can't answer your question so you don't need to stress about mine.

Not stressed at all Pacman, just don't care one bit!  And not getting on YOUR case in particular, just letting you know that most Americans can't answer any questions about British royalty.

It's the same as when they ask a question at Quiz night about cricket ...... the look of consternation on the faces of the Yanks would be the same on the Brits' faces if they asked a question about the national Football League {American Football}.

About all most Americans know about the English Monarchy is what happened in our own lifetimes;  for instance, my Mom would know all about stuff from the WW2 era, and I know about Princess Diana and her husband with the jug ears, and we ALL know about Wills and his lovely wife Kate,  but as far as Henry the 1st- through the 8th we just have zero interest.

The Secretary was named William Seward by the way, played well in the 2012  movie Lincoln by David Strathairn of Bourne Ultimatum fame.

but as far as Henry the 1st- through the 8th we just have zero interest.

Ahh, William Seward. His name doesn't ring a bell so I am not upset about not remembering. And I haven't heard of the town of Seward but I suspect now I will.

As for my interest in Henry I to VIII plus all the Kings & Queens who came before & after, it has nothing to do with a desire to tug the forelock & bow to my British antecedents, I too spent the first half of my life with zero interest in British monarchy. It was the many history documentaries on TV over the years that triggered my curiousity. 

And once the interest started there is a plethora of information available. So much of the history surrounding the Middle Ages was faithfully recorded that there are eye witness accounts to most historical events. The level of detail that survives from the 16th & 17th century really does bring the period alive. We know so much about their lives, more than we know about many modern figures of history.

And the lives these Kings & Queens lived were very interesting, they are remarkable stories by any measure.

The Secretary was named William Seward by the way, played well in the 2012  movie Lincoln by David Strathairn of Bourne Ultimatum fame.

How about Seward's other folly:

Right in the heart of New York City stands a work of art which can only be described as a distortion of history. Most who take notice are none the wiser, believing it represents an authentic portrayal of a famous American figure.

The piece in mind is a sculpture of William Seward, known for "Seward's Folly." Located in Manhattan’s Madison Square Park, named after our fourth President (James Madison), the area includes numerous statues of historical figures. Roscoe Conkling is also depicted– a member of the House and Senate who collapsed in the Park during the famous “Blizzard of 88” (1888) rather than spend money for a taxicab ride home. Chester A. Arthur, our 21st President, appears, along with Admiral David Farragut, famous for the line, “damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead." But those statues are legitimate, reflecting in size and features precisely who they purport to be.

Much to the purist’s chagrin, the same cannot be said for the statue at the southwest entrance of the Park, diagonally across the street from The Flatiron Building (originally the "Fuller" building). There lies a statue of our former Secretary of State, Mr. Seward. While most of us, from our early school days, remember hearing and studying about “Seward’s Folly,” sometimes referred to as “Seward’s Icebox” (for his 1867 purchase of Alaska from Russia for what was first believed to be a useless piece of land only to be found to have gold and oil several years after Seward’s death), most of us know nothing more about him. However, he had quite a distinguished political career in becoming the 12th Governor of New York State, a US Senator, and Secretary of State under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson. On April 15, 1865, in a mastermind plot to assassinate this country’s three top officials, Secretary of State Seward, third in line for the Presidency, was seriously injured.

Most visitors to the Park would probably not even notice this statue, and if they did, would barely give it a second thought. However, there is a lot more than what meets the eye. The artist, Randolph Rogers was commissioned in 1876 to sculpt the statue of Seward but as one story goes funds were short so only the head of the statue of Mr. Seward was sculpted. As an old sculpted body of Abraham Lincoln was just lying around, it was supposedly utilized for the remainder of the statue to meet budget concerns, believing that probably few people would ever know the difference. Another account, but never confirmed, was that the statute was originally designed to be that of President Abraham Lincoln but upon second thought it was decided that the statue should honor Mr. Seward. As the body of Lincoln had already been sculpted and erected, those in charge, as it has been rumored, supposedly felt it would be too costly to demolish what had already been sculpted, so they opted to simply place Seward’s head atop the body of Lincoln.

The only problem with this scheme was that President Lincoln stood 6’4” and dwarfed the diminutive Seward. It was often said the one could not tell if Mr. Seward were sitting or standing as there appeared to be no apparent height differential from either position. Lincoln was purported to be a full foot taller than Seward. Regardless of which story is true, there is no doubt that the body of this statue is not that of one, William H. Seward.

So if you have the opportunity to visit Madison Square Park, don’t miss viewing this statue and take note of the vast extremities of the statue’s limbs and hands with the bust of William Seward. Walking Tour Guides enjoy telling the story about this statue with some even taking poetic license to embellish it, but nonetheless audiences are amazed to learn of the serious flaw and how one famous US leader’s head had been placed on the body of a former President. Perhaps on your visit and examination of this statue you may feel this is indeed Seward’s other “folly.”

Here's three questions about the Madison Square Park, Flatiron area.  You win if you get just one right!

What "high end fast food joint" is on the southeast corner of Madison Square Park?

or

How did the phrase 23 skidoo originate?

or

What were two future locations of Madison Square Garden?