Bar fines; Does The Owner Make a Difference?

bumblebee

Most of us have an opinion on bar fines. Many guys have no issue with them, seeing it as perhaps a thank you to the bar for providing a service.

But what about the guys who are reluctant to pay them or refuse to do so and use various techniques to avoid them, perhaps seeing them as a sex tax. Does the fact that the bar is Thai or farang owned have any bearing on your reluctance to pay one?

I have no problem with bar fines. I am only reluctant to pay if the BFs are excessive or if it is close to closing time. I think a bar should offer 50% discounts on BFs one hour prior to closing. Thai or farang owned makes no difference to me whatsoever. 

• Upvote 1

Seems to me it's not a falang vs Thai issue but whether the customer feels a connection with the owner.  LaBamba is good example of Thai owned bar that has many loyal customers rooting for the owner's success.

OTOH, a bar such as Cascade may be fun and successful, but I don't think their customers care much about the owner.

I totally agree PD.

I have no problem paying for a barfine in La Bamba, Sensations or Famous, because the owners make you feel welcome and have no problem setting you up a drink to thank you for you custom. Stringfellows is another example, when Bob or the owner is in, you will always find a beer a put in front of you. So for bars like this there is no way I would try to dodge a barfine. Other bars, who shall remain nameless, I would go out of my way to get the girls number as I would not like to line their pockets simply down to the attitude.

• Upvote 2

I have no problem with bar fines. I am only reluctant to pay if the BFs are excessive or if it is close to closing time. I think a bar should offer 50% discounts on BFs one hour prior to closing. Thai or farang owned makes no difference to me whatsoever. 

I agree with Sam, and have no problems paying the BF if I really like a girl.   Hell, half the time [more than half, actually] I have no idea who the owner is and don't really care.

Many times over the years when I lived in BKK I would text one of my favorite Nana girls of the moment at around 4pm and tell her to stop over on her way to work.  She would stay from 5 till 8 or whatever, then I would pay her bar fine even though going in late is usually fined at just 1 baht per minute. She was happy, I was happy, and it was still early enough to go to dinner and grab a beer with my friends, with no pressure to get laid later on.

Many times over the years when I lived in BKK I would text one of my favorite Nana girls of the moment at around 4pm and tell her to stop over on her way to work.  She would stay from 5 till 8 or whatever, then I would pay her bar fine even though going in late is usually fined at just 1 baht per minute. She was happy, I was happy, and it was still early enough to go to dinner and grab a beer with my friends, with no pressure to get laid later on.

Smooth, easy, gliding approach. Love it. I am a 4 to 8 kinda guy when it comes to spending myself. My afternoon high tea so to speak.  :biggrin:

My feelings too SS and as young Ciobha says if the ower is welcoming then avoiding it isnt an issue really

It usually doesn't bother me to pay the bar fine. The one exception is for some reason I often play the pickup game in front of Nana at 2 AM. Look for LBs I've seen in the bars in Nana and maybe bought a drink. Last time I was there the closing times were not as strict as in the past and it took over 45 minutes for the place to empty out. Way too long for the game.

• Upvote 1

Paying a total of 276,020 bht to date would suggest that............. (I like keeping stats :huh: )

Which bar has the 20 baht barfine DK?     8P

Reminds me of the old joke where a hooker says she made $171 this week and when asked who was the Cheap Charlie who only gave her a buck, she replied "all of them"

• Upvote 1

Which bar has the 20 baht barfine DK?     8P

Reminds me of the old joke where a hooker says she made $171 this week and when asked who was the Cheap Charlie who only gave her a buck, she replied "all of them"

Bamboo massage one time 280 bht, plus many years ago at Buffalo Bar, two @ 470. That gives you the odd 20 bht PD.

How dare you question my figures. 8P  :party0005:

Cheers DK

• Upvote 2

So that must be somewhere around 700 barfines DK... Jezuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz, you must have started at a very young age.. I'd certainly like to be a couple of bar fines behind you, even a couple of hundred!

As most know, I'll dodge a barfine without compuntion, but that said, so many different things come into play, like... How well have I been treated, both now & before?.. How much money has been put into keeping the show on the road?... Have the girls got higher saleries to be paid?... What time of the night is it?... Is the owner an arsehole?... Is the owner my mate?.. Where's the location?.. Are those irresistable, gorgeous, puppy dog eyes in the window looking directly at me?... What mood am I in?... Do I want to play up & act like an aresole?... Everything gets factored in, one way or another!

Opposite to what most might think, I will actually pay a heavily weighted barfine from time to, just because I figure it's the right thing to do... And there it is in a nutshell, treated right, I wouldn't dream of stiffing the owners of a bar for a barfine, regardless of whether or not it happens to be Thai or Falang owned either.

And if I really like a girl I'll nearly always pay her bar for the next night too even if I'm in two minds whether to take her again or not... Maybe just to see if I get trumped or not?.. It helps to sort out who are the real sweethearts.

• Upvote 2