Songkran Is Here!

pdogg

Lots of water play on Soi 6 in Pattaya yesterday even though it was only April 12th!

The 13th, 14th, and 15th are bank holidays in Thailand.

April 19th is the big day in Pattaya, with Beach Road and 2nd Raod closed and water paly all over town.

Think in Naklua it's the 18th, not sure.

I'm afraid I just don't get Songkran - I understand it has cultural significance and I respect that - but nowadays it just seems an excuse to get pissed and behave like a yobbo (sort of like Christmas :rolleyes: ) if Songkran went for couple of days fine - but every year it seems to go longer -last year I was in a baht bus going into Pattaya for the night and copped a bucket of water in my face - I jumped off the baht bus and chased the idiot down the road yelling obsenities - - never caught him because the baht bus driver was chasing me yelling obsenities at me because I forgot to pay him - I had to stop my pursuit and give the driver his 20baht :search:

• Upvote 2

Lots of water play on Soi 6 in Pattaya yesterday even though it was only April 12th!

The 13th, 14th, and 15th are bank holidays in Thailand.

April 19th is the big day in Pattaya, with Beach Road and 2nd Raod closed and water paly all over town.

Think in Naklua it's the 18th, not sure.

God Help You

I've only been in Pattaya during Songkran the once, and never again.

I don't think I'm a 'stick-in-the-mud' exactly, but shooting water-pistols and getting drenched is something I last enjoyed when I was about 6 years old.

Many better things to do to pass the time while in Thailand

I'm afraid I just don't get Songkran - I understand it has cultural significance and I respect that - but nowadays it just seems an excuse to get pissed and behave like a yobbo (sort of like Christmas :rolleyes: ) if Songkran went for couple of days fine - but every year it seems to go longer -last year I was in a baht bus going into Pattaya for the night and copped a bucket of water in my face - I jumped off the baht bus and chased the idiot down the road yelling obsenities - - never caught him because the baht bus driver was chasing me yelling obsenities at me because I forgot to pay him - I had to stop my pursuit and give the driver his 20baht :search:

20 baht??? :o

I've only been in Pattaya during Songkran the once, and never again.

I don't think I'm a 'stick-in-the-mud' exactly, but shooting water-pistols and getting drenched is something I last enjoyed when I was about 6 years old.

Many better things to do to pass the time while in Thailand

EXACTLY!!! I'm afraid if I am ever in Pattaya during Songkran again, it may lead to a physical altercation. Having some drunken falang cocksucker that I don't know from Adam toss a bucket of water on me would not be received pleasantly by Khun Lefty.

I'm glad to see from reading the above thread that I'm not the only one who has wanted to punch people during Songkran. I hate when people try to force you in on their "fun." Especially when it involves me getting doused with buckets of water while I'm riding by on a Baht bus. I guess I'm a stick in the mud as well. I could take getting sprayed with a simple squirt gun or two, but getting soaking wet while your trying to mind your own business really isn't fun (at least for me).

• Upvote 1

I could take getting sprayed with a simple squirt gun or two, but getting soaking wet while your trying to mind your own business really isn't fun (at least for me).

I once made it all the way up soi 4 to Foodland, and all the way back again past Dawin, relatively unscathed...only to be doused with a full bucket by a misguided foreign couple practically at the entrance to my condo... :diablo:

It's the foreignors I tell ya :angry:

EXACTLY!!! I'm afraid if I am ever in Pattaya during Songkran again, it may lead to a physical altercation. Having some drunken falang cocksucker that I don't know from Adam toss a bucket of water on me would not be received pleasantly by Khun Lefty.

Good man Lefty :aggressive:

I agree with Gizmo.

This year I experienced my first Songkran. I walked from Soi 15 (Bangkok) to Soi 04 on the first day of Songkran, April 13th. I was like an old grouch (which I am) whining about getting wet and thinking how childish and silly the whole stupid event was. At first along Sukhumvit there were young children sprinkling little splashes of water on me. It was irritating but admittedly cute at the same time. As we turned from Sukhumvit to Soi 6 the little children with tiny pails of water turned into teenagers with hoses and water pistols. The more wet I got the more I continued to gripe and complain but as I approached closer to the corner of Soi 6 and Soi 4 I increasingly had no choice but to submit to the overwhelming insanity.

When we turned onto Soi 4 all hell broke loose and I have honestly never seen or experienced anything so wonderfully crazy in my entire life. I spent the next 4 hours sitting at the Nana Hotel bar watching the most bizarre events of my life. Children, teenagers, adults, and seniors citizens, male, female, and ladyboy with water guns, cannons, pistols. pails, hoses, and whatever other water apparatus basins they could muster up, flinging water about on anything and everything that moved or breathed. Tuk-tuks, motor-bikes, pick-ups, cars, buses going up and down the Soi attacking one another with floods of water. Grown adults and seniors all armed with huge water guns going at each other like children. It was so refreshingly astounding!!! Serious fun was had all around by all. I was totally soaked for the entire day and although unarmed was attacked repeatedly with no mercy whatsoever. It was a terrific hoot! So much so we went back the next day and repeated the whole event.

Bravo to Thailand for this!!! Wow, what a wonderful thing for people to have. Such a release. Such joy. Such communion and bond between people of all ages, color, nationalities, language, etc.

I recommend the experience of Songkran to all, even old grouches like myself.