Bar Fines & Exchange Rates

bumblebee

Yep, in these times of financial adjustment, some of us less well heeled BM's have got to resort to methods that we might usually view with distain, such as dodging both bar fines & lady drinks... But up here in CNX they really are a greedy, greedy, grasping bunch of bastards, (much more so than Patts, in fact) & there's actually one bar I know here that'll try to hit you for a 700 baht BF, I kid you not, FFS!!! So fuck em', I say! =@ Especially as they well know the situation that we're in... And has I've said before, in a bar like Sensations I'd pay the 300 baht fine all day long & with a big smile on my face too!

So, what do I do :ph34r: ?.. Well, I hit the local bars about once a week/fortnight & hand out my number to girls telling them that they’re super lovely, but I can’t buy a ladydrink or take them that night, as I’m pissed already & have to go home now because I’ve got work in the morning, but as I like them so much they can call me when they've got a night off, early finish, Buhdda day, whatever... But hey, you've guessed it, you’re bombarded with calls & text (much like a blanket bombing raid) that night & at anything up to 5.00am too!... So the phone goes off as soon as I get home & it'll stay off after midnight for about the next three or so evenings :lazy: ... And then viola!! The calls slowly start to stream in & the home entertainment begins. Now I know it's not a good idea to hand your number out, but this is to girls that I know or have at least built up some rapport with... And more to the point, they know who I am & that I'm not a tourist or on a big budget, but that I am good hearted & regular :hi: (for the right girl)… And I’ll do it all without compunction, especially as these bars usually charge close to double what my regular bars charge for drink (and I kid you not there, either).

Anyway, definitely not going down the internet route for my kicks anymore BB, I've done it a few times & it just doesn't work for me, because I've so far not yet met anyone who didn't advertise that they were looking for a boyfriend & the simple fact is that I've got to lie & then eventually upset someone to get what I want (a quick shag or a very short term GFE) & besides, I like bars & bar culture… However, that said, though Facepoop I got in touch with an ole' flame & pin up favorite of mine from Patts (known to at very least a handful of FM’s here :confused0089: ) who I just couldn't let go by! She's been up here staying at her folks & our liaisons have stretched to five months now & much of the time it's felt like the ultimate domestic bliss. :party0021:  :happy0148:  :behind: Far, far, far more rewarding in every aspect & the intro was all for the price of an email!... However, it's a real shame that for reasons beyond either of our control she's had to go & stay down in BKK for the immediate future :sad0116: ... So unfortunately it looks like I'll be back down the beer bar centre at the weekend with my biro. :innocent0001:

• Upvote 2

In a nutshell barfines are for holiday-makers in a hurry and they are (according to every bar owner/manager) an important factor in terms of the bar's income. But that's not my problem as I'm not one of the aforementioned.

Many bars set their barfine too high anyway but some even have the gall to charge it just for a visit to their own short-time room with one of their own. If it's set at a reasonable price it will get paid, if not then more people will try to circumnavigate the cost in some way, especially if they're not in a hurry. With poor exchange rates this just exacerbates the unwillingness to pay a barfine. I still pay sometimes and in some bars it is waived if you've bought a reasonable amount of drinks. Which is the way it should be and a bar like that will get my custom.

The quantity of freelancers appears to have risen over recent times as even the girls can see customer numbers are down in their old bars, nevermind those willing to pay a barfine. Many freelancers many of us already know because they are ex-bargirls, even if they're not the thrill of the unknown scores a few points on the rush-scale.

Bar:
How much barfine? ~ B600
How much for the girl? ~ B1000
How much ST room? ~ B300

Freelancer:
How much? ~ B500
How much room? ~ B300

I prefer freelancers.

... back down the beer bar centre at the weekend with my biro.

Another enjoyable post by Mr.Lung  :hi:  ~ more please!

DC anecdote:  :indifferent0018:
"Biro" - I haven't heard that name used for a long time. For anyone who doesn't know it was a brand name for a cheap ballpoint pen (they also made cheap razors). As it happens, I used to personally repair and maintain the computer of Mrs.Biro (she is German, pronounced 'beero') at her home in Kent, England.

Once again DC comes thru with a clutch homerun.  I know the bar have to have a secondary income, but I never really got the full concept of the double charge.  Like at Pooks, it really kills me as I would go there more if all the cost wasn't included.

Neo

Agree with the above.  I've been gone for a while, and last time I was out in the bars the rate on the dollar was around 33.  I thought that was bad, but I tolerated it.  Now at 29, well, I'm being much more conscientious.  While I paid two bar fines on my recent foray to Bangkok, I didn't pay any in Pattaya.  I just can't afford to be throwing baht around like it's monopoly money anymore.  

So, I got in touch with Lung   :help:  and I'm going to let a superstar show me how it's done in northern Thailand!    :happy0065:

Many bars set their barfine too high anyway but some even have the gall to charge it just for a visit to their own short-time room with one of their own. If it's set at a reasonable price it will get paid, if not then more people will try to circumnavigate the cost in some way

Bar:

How much barfine? ~ B600

How much for the girl? ~ B1000

How much ST room? ~ B300

Freelancer:

How much? ~ B500

How much room? ~ B300

Another enjoyable post by Mr.Lung  :hi:  ~ more please!

DC anecdote:  :indifferent0018:

"Biro" - I haven't heard that name used for a long time. For anyone who doesn't know it was a brand name for a cheap ballpoint pen (they also made cheap razors). As it happens, I used to personally repair and maintain the computer of Mrs.Biro (she is German, pronounced 'beero') at her home in Kent, England.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head DC & made the point far more succinctly than my fumbling post!.. I'll pay the odd barfine sometimes just to do the right thing, but some of these bars, such as Pooks, have to be so spiteful in the way that they go charging up & then double charging on top for absolutely everything & at at the same time still wanting to take their pound of flesh from the girls too, that I say, "Fuck em', they're just down right greedy... Way too greedy!

Anyway, I've heard throught he grapevine that ole' mother Pook's in a lot of really dangerous finacial do do's at the mo, aparently she borrowed a load of money from the fuzz & she can't pay it back, so som nom fuckin' nah to the old rattlesnake.

Wow, you've worked at the Biro's home, what a superb note to fame man!!... Where did Mrs. Biro live, by the way?.. Was she worth a do??.. Saw a children's documentary on the biro once, it was captivating... Honest.

If only I had the time to post DC! It's not that I don't want to

Once again DC comes thru with a clutch homerun. 

Yeah, he's a clever little monkey!

Agree with the above.  I've been gone for a while, and last time I was out in the bars the rate on the dollar was around 33.  I thought that was bad, but I tolerated it.  Now at 29, well, I'm being much more conscientious.  While I paid two bar fines on my recent foray to Bangkok, I didn't pay any in Pattaya.  I just can't afford to be throwing baht around like it's monopoly money anymore.  

So, I got in touch with Lung   :help:  and I'm going to let a superstar show me how it's done in northern Thailand!    :happy0065:

Well, maybe only a superstar in my own underpants Bubba... But if you want to learn how to be cheap, you've most definitely come to the right place mate!

NB. Before the sycophants come out & start telling us how much we need these bars... Please don't bother, because you're at the other end of the problem for paying these people!

I can perfectly understand the top end gogos having to charge, that's a different ball game all together & they've got their place & besides you can go & pick up the totty at the end of the night, barfine free, if you're so inclined,  but Pooks & the like are fuckin' beer bars, for God's sake!

Someone's got to give some of us poorer Honky's a break!

The whole world is scaling down.

Those that go with the flow will survive, if the money is right and they are run well. That old reputation nutshell, that will attract the punters, which will attract the girls and they will be busy.

I haven't been to Sensations but it looks well run and has a good stable. The internet is getting so powerful for research, with forums like this, bars can be made or broken. Look at the inevitable demise of Guess and the rise of Darkside a classic example. I hope Pook doesn't fall into the same trap. I think not as she has been in the business too long. However if she is in the palm of the law who knows.  

Where did Mrs. Biro live, by the way?.

Mrs. Biro lived near West Kingsdown in Kent in a beautiful old detached house with a fabulous and completely uncluttered view from Wrotham Hill down over the Weald. A very nice lady, similar in age to my mother who was her friend, that's how we became introduced.

Once you've reached my age the chances of having clinched a few claim to fames is probable.

I even had a cup of coffee made for me by Myra Hindley  :sign0196:

But hey, you've guessed it, you’re bombarded with calls & text (much like a blanket bombing raid) that night & at anything up to 5.00am too!... So the phone goes off as soon as I get home & it'll stay off after midnight for about the next three or so evenings :lazy: ... And then viola!! The calls slowly start to stream in & the home entertainment begins. Now I know it's not a good idea to hand your number out, but this is to girls that I know or have at least built up some rapport with...

A cheap second phone and SIM, in my case my old phone, is a wonderful thing...

No doubt we are witnessing a change in the way naughty encounters are arranged in Los.  The old tried and trusted formula of either a bar fine for safety or taking your chances with a freelancer from the street no longer applies all the time I feel.  Most of the popular girls have profiles on Facebook and dating sites where out of work hour rendezvous can be easily arranged.

Add into the mix the rise in smart phones where guys can find a girl while surfing the net sitting on a deckchair on the beach for example, and the need to go to a bar and part with dwindling funds becomes less appealing to many I think it's fair to say.

I just think there should be a supermarket venue that opens at 11:00 and closes at 16:00. Within that time all labyboys, GGs, and punters can parade, shop and arrange whatever they want, whenever and where ever they want. Kinda like a livestock show. I suggest Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays so not to interfere with weekend frolics. Just need to find a suitable, shady afternoon venue. This is truly free market capitalism at its best. I am sure it would work well for ALL concerned parties.

I just think there should be a supermarket venue that opens at 11:00 and closes at 16:00. Within that time all labyboys, GGs, and punters can parade, shop and arrange whatever they want, whenever and where ever they want. Kinda like a livestock show. I suggest Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays so not to interfere with weekend frolics. Just need to find a suitable, shady afternoon venue. This is truly free market capitalism at its best. I am sure it would work well for ALL concerned parties.

Think that sounds like a fair description of the Beer Garden in Bangkok. :biggrin: 

• Upvote 1

No money..... No honey!

X-change rate my ass! 18 hours on a plane and l am going to whine about the exchange rate.... It's a long cold sexless winter here.

In a nutshell barfines are for holiday-makers in a hurry

In the majority of cases the expat has more time than money and the holiday guy has more money than time.

No doubt a sliding scale as to where each of us falls, but I would suspect that most people fall towards one end of the scale or the other. The scale could then be labelled "Willingness to pay barfines".

Vive la difference!

I think barfines as a ratio of bar income will reduce over time and its being seen already.     freelancing will become the order of the day for most bars.

This is already being felt and was claimed to be a deciding factor in the closure of Anaconda (I don't believe its the main reason - but I can understand it would be a contributing factor as its true).   The police are now making owners responsible if their staff test positive for drugs on the premises if they have a raid.   Now we all know how many LB's take drugs and this is a big change in enforcement.    LB bars are marginal in terms of profit as it is.   a 100,000b fine could wipe out 2/3 months profit for many bars and all because one LB tested positive for Yaba/Ice etc.

No doubt we are witnessing a change in the way naughty encounters are arranged in Los.  The old tried and trusted formula of either a bar fine for safety or taking your chances with a freelancer from the street no longer applies all the time I feel.  Most of the popular girls have profiles on Facebook and dating sites where out of work hour rendezvous can be easily arranged.

Add into the mix the rise in smart phones where guys can find a girl while surfing the net sitting on a deckchair on the beach for example, and the need to go to a bar and part with dwindling funds becomes less appealing to many I think it's fair to say.

So true BB, I think the demise of girly bars/beer bars is a bit like the demise of the old fashioned British boozer, it may not suit any of us, but what is, 'IS'. The exchange rate (got to get this back on topic) has just exasperated & speeded things up!

I mentioned on another forum about the state of play here in CNX where it's only the older house haunters & not so internet savvie girls who are left stinking out the bars; overall it's already become an internet/freelance scene & it's been that way for a while now. My lanky, Facebook, internet lovely, whome I mentioned in my first post recons she can potentially earn far more than she ever did in Pattaya... And man, she was fuckin' popular, so there you go!.. No wonder she says, "Pattaya's behind her now!"?

It's just the way of it, I'm afraid

Pattaya is sure an LB town and most mongers about town have plenty of numbers squirrelled away in their ageing holiday Nokia's to help them wile awa' the wee hours.  :20:

Even on a jaunty stroll there's LB's lurking everywhere and Mall dolls a plenty.

Do ye think I've a chance as a Celtic Boomdraw?  :mad0261:

Mrs. Biro lived near West Kingsdown in Kent in a beautiful old detached house with a fabulous and completely uncluttered view from Wrotham Hill down over the Weald. A very nice lady, similar in age to my mother who was her friend, that's how we became introduced.

Once you've reached my age the chances of having clinched a few claim to fames is probable.

I even had a cup of coffee made for me by Myra Hindley  :sign0196:

Man, the Biro's lived in West Kingsdown!.. If they could see the Weald of Kent, then that house must have been right on top of the Wrotham Roundabout, if I'm not wrong?.. I nearly bought an old flintstone cottage near there once upon a time DC, right opposite the Gamecock Pub... I used to do a bit of Stewarding & signwriting at Brands Hatch too, back in the days before vynil stickers, I know the area really well, even used to jump the manageress at the Paragon (Brands Hatch Disco) from time to time... Happy days.

Anyway, on a par with the Biro's, but not quite up there with your friend Myra, I used to do a few odd jobs for Patrick Moore (Sky at night) just down the road in Wilmingtion!.. How about that!... Again in Wilmington, I nearly got to do a bit for Johnny Morris too (Animal Magic fame), but he was such a foul mouthed, condesending, rude, bastard, that I didn't bother in the end!.. Wouldn't believe that, would you?.. Fuckin' Johnny Morris!

• Upvote 1

Anyway, on a par with the Biro's, but not quite up there with your friend Myra, I used to do a few odd jobs for Patrick Moore (Sky at night) just down the road in Wilmingtion!.. How about that!... Again in Wilmington, I nearly got to do a bit for Johnny Morris too (Animal Magic fame), but he was such a foul mouthed, condesending, rude, bastard, that I didn't bother in the end!.. Wouldn't believe that, would you?.. Fuckin' Johnny Morris!

Holy moley Johnny Morris! ~ Now there's a name from childhood I haven't heard for decades. He seemed such a likeable fellow on TV with his funny animal-talk etc., just goes to show you. I imagined old Patrick to be a little grumpy but pleasant. Did he wear his monocle to inspect your work?

Nice one Mr.Lung. We have to get to meet one of these days, we're both in the same country, just miles apart.

Sorry this thread is drifting OT a little, but that's what conversations do sometimes  :biggrin:

This Patrick Moore?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/may/01/sir-patrick-moore-missing-trousers

I bet the animals in the zoo said something similar when they saw Johnny Morris approaching:

Lion 1:  Who's that?

Lion 2: Who d'ya think?  Johnny.  Fuckin'.  Morris.

I may need to get out more...

No, you don't need to get out more Route67, that tickled me... Thirty years ago I'd have seen a cartoon in it!

And yes, the very same... You know, I didn't even realise that he'd passed away... There's living in CNX for you... You can get a bit out of touch.

http://youtu.be/YjpcZPT1-NA

Holy moley Johnny Morris! ~ Now there's a name from childhood I haven't heard for decades. He seemed such a likeable fellow on TV with his funny animal-talk etc., just goes to show you. I imagined old Patrick to be a little grumpy but pleasant. Did he wear his monocle to inspect your work?

Nice one Mr.Lung. We have to get to meet one of these days, we're both in the same country, just miles apart.

Sorry this thread is drifting OT a little, but that's what conversations do sometimes  :biggrin:

"Wear his monocle to inspect my work" 55555555555555!!!

To be honest, I kept out of his way as much as I could DC, he was utterly eccentric, highly temperamental & grumpy to boot, plus he thought I was a bit odd!?

I first saw Johhny Morris's bad temper in 1977, during my first job at a publishing firm working on the TV21 comic which had an 'Animal Magic' strip in it (if you remember that one)? Anyway, he used to come in the office & turn the air blue if ever anything wasn't to his liking & he was really fowl towards all of the underlings, including myself... He was a real nasty bastard, but nobody would ever believe me when I told them!

And yeah, we'll have to meet up one of these days, sooner rather than later.. I'd look forward to it!

Yeah, sorry about this BB

• 2 weeks later...

First, I want to say that this forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me, thanks to all the contributors. I am travelling to Chiang Mai in July. On the topic of BF would it just be worth my while to hit the streets and look for a FL instead of the bars? and if so where would be a good place to start in Chiang Mai? 

• Upvote 1