Innard-resting town names

SiamSam

Once I drove three hours out of my way -- including a detour on a dirt road --  to visit Hell, Michigan ... and the general store was out of post cards. No stamps either. I did make it to Climax, though, and they had stamps *and* postcards.

And more than once I've driven from London to Paris or vice versa on my way to/from Cincinnati, Ohio. Really.

Can't say as I've been to St. Louis-du-Ha-Ha, though. Next time I'm in North America I'll have to remedy that. Those wacky Quebecois ... Sacre bleu ...

I almost found the perfect place to live in California but alas they just didn't spell it quite right. Or maybe I didn't spell my name right. It is a real place, often mistaken for xyzzy by those that know the legend, zipping by at 70 mph.

post-345-0-07074800-1364412842_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

There's a village in Austria, which is named "Fucking". Yes, that's true. Of course, being a German-speaking place, the name of the village has nothing to do with the English-language profanity used for copulation....but since it was discovered by English speakers, it's made quite a name. Its road sign is said to be the most stolen road sign in Austria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria

Let's have another from Thailand. I think everyone here is familiar with Bangkok Metro, and its terminal station Bang Sue. The signs showing the platforms-directions to Bang Sue, bearing the phrase: "To Bang Sue" must have entertained quite many people. Of course the name is pronounced differently, but don't we all recall it as "Sue" as we know?

http://www.engrish.com/2005/10/oh-sue/

• 1 month later...

I accidentally stumbled into the very small town of Whiteface not far from my home; just when I thought we were all done with racism here in the Northeast.

Just to prove they are not homophobes, the friendly people of Martha's Vineyard named one of their towns Gay Head.

No signs yet of a Ladyboy Head.

There is a town just between Derry and Donegal, called "Muff". This may not mean anything to our American friends, but those Brits Irish and even the Aussies among us will get it.

Yanks use the word also, as PD said it is more commonly used as Muffdiver when we are talking about lesbians.  Carpet-muncher would be another one.

I noticed when I was driving towards Derry one time that some local hooligans had spray-painted out the "London" from ''Londonderry''  so that only "Derry" remained;  this was in 2007 but still showed lingering remnants of The Troubles.

Any city where The Undertones come from is OK in my book, and actually spending a day there and walking around the castle ramparts was lovely.

Funnily enough, DC & myself were just waxing on another thread about an area in the county of Kent (UK) named Wotham... Well just down the road from there is a place named 'Prats bottom'... All the Brits & the Paddy's will get it.

Prat = A whimsical name for a really silly person or buffoon, not quite worthy of real bad language... The one who hits the end of your thumb with a hammer or treads on your toe.

Funnily enough, DC & myself were just waxing on another thread about an area in the county of Kent (UK) named Wotham... Well just down the road from there is a place named 'Prats bottom'... All the Brits & the Paddy's will get it.

Prat = A whimsical name for a really silly person or buffoon, not quite worthy of real bad language... The one who hits the end of your thumb with a hammer or treads on your toe.

Nice one Lung, I'd forgotten all the about that place and I used to live in Orpington too, just moments away from Pratts Bottom and Badgers Mount.

In Blackheath (South East London) where my house is located there is a small street (more like an alleyway) near Blackheath Common called 'Tranquil Passage'. That one always used to make chuckle.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but reading Jaidees post about the "London " being scribbled out of Londonderry on signs in nationalist areas of the city, I have to share how insanely politically correct our wee part of the world now has become.

All my life, you called the city "Derry" if you were a catholic, and "Londonderry" if you were a protestant. Heaven help you if you were to name it outside your religious beliefs,ffs. But on News bulletins etc., is was always given it's full title North of the Border, and of course the shortened version down south. Just recently, all news programmes in N.Ireland, if presenting an article on said city, address it as Derry-Londonderry for fear of upsetting anyone. It is really fucking annoying, just pick a name and stick to it ffs!!!

Nice one Lung, I'd forgotten all the about that place and I used to live in Orpington too, just moments away from Pratts Bottom and Badgers Mount.

In Blackheath (South East London) where my house is located there is a small street (more like an alleyway) near Blackheath Common called 'Tranquil Passage'. That one always used to make chuckle.

This world's just getting smaller & smaller as we speak DC... I painted the wooden sign for Tranquil Passage!... I had a flat on the other side of the common for 14 years before I sold up to come to Thailand... This is getting too ridiculous! I'll send you a PM mate.

I remember going to see John Martyn at the Blackheath Conseratoir once, he turned up to the gig pissed & his opening gambit to the audience was, "You're not going to believe this, but I've just seen a couple of blokes knocking fuckin' lumps out of each other in a small alley way down the road & I looked up to see a sign which read 'Tranquil Passage'.

• Upvote 1

There is a town just between Derry and Donegal, called "Muff". 

We use the word muffdiver 

Intrigued by this I decided to do a bit of investigating to my shame I have been to Donegal but not yet visited Muff which I believe is a lovely place .

I decided to ask a friend of mine who holidays in the area quite a bit given that Muff was a coastal town did they in fact have a divers club ? 

He smiled and it turns out they do apparently its quite well known and has a sign outside proudly proclaiming Muff Divers Club .

There you have it .