President Rubio?

JaiDee

For those of you who may have missed it, the suspected front-runner for the GOP's 2016 presidential candidate field - a Florida senator named Marco Rubio -  took a quick sip of water while giving the republican rebuttal after the President's state of the union address.

It's getting a lot of talking heads talking; of course the left is excoriating him, saying he looked like a buffoon; which he kind of did.  The right-wing are, no surprise, coming to his defense, saying it was a completely natural thing to do.  Makes sense also, I guess.

But what people seem to be forgetting is that just 4 months ago, when asked what was the age of the earth, this potential president said he had no idea, and that it would always be one of the great mysteries of our time.  Hmmmm......actually, Marco, I learned back in junior high school science class that we actually DO know the age of the earth, and it's about 4.5 billion years old.  I think this -much more than taking a sip of water in national TV - should exclude this goofball from any dreams of being President. 

And lets face facts;  the GOP is only putting him up there because he is a minority, a Hispanic, someone who can bring in the voters that Obama has been getting the past 5 years.  But seriously,  do we believe for one second that someone in Texas or Alabama or Arkansas would ever vote for a "spic" to be president?  Not bloody likely!

Read more of what this dimwit still has to learn about science here;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/19/marco-rubio-earth-age_n_2158555.html

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure
we'll ever be able to answer that," he said. "It's one of the great
mysteries."

The guy is another fascist tea bragger douche bag. Fuck him.

That said, given H.L. Menken's quip that "No one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." is probably truer now than it's ever been. It is very much within the realm of possibility for the republicans to simply soften their rhetoric and manage to install that piece of shit or someone very like him.

• Upvote 1

mysteries."

Venus & Serena Williams belong to a similar religion & hold the same views. They were interviewed here in Oz a few years back & were asked about their belief the world was created in seven days. I remember they weren't sure if the dinosaurs arrived on Wednesday or Thursday. People here were totally bemused by how completely ridiculous they were. No one here had ever come across such extreme fundamentalist views before. They really are certifiable.

given H.L. Menken's quip that "No one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." is probably truer now than it's ever been. 

Is it just a failure of the education system that America can produce such a diversity of thinking? From the smartest, most articulate & well informed speakers to the brain dead ways of the fundamentalists. We have a huge disparity here too but it's different. There isn't the religious intrusion impacting on people's lives here. They are just dumb because they are lazy & couldn't give a fuck. In the US they are dumb & seem to want everyone else to think the same. OK, that's a HUGE generalisation but I am struck by the difference.

For those of you who may have missed it, the suspected front-runner for the GOP's 2016 presidential candidate field - a Florida senator named Marco Rubio -  took a quick sip of water while giving the republican rebuttal after the President's state of the union address.

It's getting a lot of talking heads talking; of course the left is excoriating him, saying he looked like a buffoon; which he kind of did.  The right-wing are, no surprise, coming to his defense, saying it was a completely natural thing to do.  Makes sense also, I guess.

But what people seem to be forgetting is that just 4 months ago, when asked what was the age of the earth, this potential president said he had no idea, and that it would always be one of the great mysteries of our time.  Hmmmm......actually, Marco, I learned back in junior high school science class that we actually DO know the age of the earth, and it's about 4.5 billion years old.  I think this -much more than taking a sip of water in national TV - should exclude this goofball from any dreams of being President. 

And lets face facts;  the GOP is only putting him up there because he is a minority, a Hispanic, someone who can bring in the voters that Obama has been getting the past 5 years.  But seriously,  do we believe for one second that someone in Texas or Alabama or Arkansas would ever vote for a "spic" to be president?  Not bloody likely!

Read more of what this dimwit still has to learn about science here;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/19/marco-rubio-earth-age_n_2158555.html

mysteries."

As the character Kenneth on 30 Rock said. "I loved science in high school, especially the Old Testament."

Thats how we get so smart, the average IQ is 100, so to get all the 120+ IQ people who live on the coasts we have to balance the scales by populating the center with 80s....its simple math !

pretty funny,  Snick.....man, I read some blogs and websites which would blow your mind, and I know for a fact all the people who comment come from deep, deep Red Sates and are their thoughts scary!

I think I have posted this link before, but for anyone who hasn't seen this site yet please check it out if you want a laugh;   http://www.AmericanThinker.com/ ........  I originally thought it was a gag parody site, but no, people really do think like this!

Of course I have been banned from there for life after sneaking in a few unwanted comments from the east coast, a true badge of honor.

Anyway, now the far right wingnuts are saying Rubio can't be president anyway because he isn't a natural born; his parents were [gasp!] illegals when they gave birth to Marco in Miami.  It will be interesting to see who the conservatives throw up there in 2016 now ... there is literally NO ONE who can unite the crazy extreme right TEA bagger christian lunatics with the moderates - and who ever though we'd see the day when Karl Rove and Dick Cheney were considered moderates and a war hero like Chuck Hagel would be considered a marxist pinko fag. 

LOL'ing at the unravelling of the GOP!!

LOL'ing at the unravelling of the GOP!!

Ahmen brother

There are two things that will drive the final nail in their coffin.

1. When we get rid of one the conservatives on the Supreme Court ( Scalia looks overdue for a stroke ). One that happens, we can stop the republican anti-democratic strategy of voter suppression and extreme gerrymandering

2. 2020 when congressional districts are redrawn. Keep in mind the republicans LOST the popular vote in congress, but because of gerrymandering they still got more seats.

3. (okay I can't count), Their base of old whites is getting old and dying.

ps. read this :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-gore/tea-party-koch-brothers-big-tobacco_b_2689380.html

Well, I would rather be Rubio than Jesse Jackson Jr. or Bob Menendez right now!!!

Its nuts that we are talking about the 2016 race.  I am still sick of the 2012 elections!!Why dont we get the unemployment rate down to 5% or so, cut our horrible deficit and can we PLEASE have at least 3% GDP growth?!?!?!  FFS!!  Lets not even ask for 4%!!  The next time this administration achieves 3% growth in a tear will be its first.  Thats shocking.......

I forgot to mention you guys should be cheering on the Republicn party as they continually shoot themselves in the foot!!! They think Rubio will court/pander to the "hispanic" vote as if it were a monolith.  Rubio is Cuban and thats quite a different thing than being Mexican, Salvadoran, Honduran, or Puerto Rican.  Many white Cubans come from Spanish stock actually from the region of Galicia-NWest of Spain.  They are basically considered white europeans........

Archie's favorite comedian, Bill Maher, said it best and it mirrors what Snick said above;  "The republican party has the same problem as the Beach Boys; their fans are dying."

I can't even imagine any young republicans these days,  they must be the children of rich people.  I have a daughter in college and literally every one of her friends is a liberal and are completely turned off by people like Rush, Beck, Rove, the Fox comedy channel,  etc.......I have to assume the only people who back those clowns and watch that network are old white people living in red states, and we all know we will soon have a 'white minority' in this country, probably by 2050.

Funny, you know....I used to be a dedicated moderate, and tried to view each side of the political divide equally. I liked Reagan, was never a big fan of Clinton because he was a slimeball, and like most people was ambivalent about 4 meaningless years of George H.W. Bush. But 8 years of his dim-witted son sent me clearly over to the left; I seriously have no idea how anyone right-of-center can look back at those years when we were attacked, all our 401K's got drained, the banks collapsed, 2 wars were started, we looked like war-mongering fools in the eyes of the world, etc....and come out saying "Man, those 8 years under W were awesome!"

The political divide in this country is the widest I have ever seen in my lifetime, and anyone who was a Bush supporter thinks Lucifer himself is in there right now. So I don't see that gap closing anytime soon; talking to right-wing lunatics is like talking to the wall, and they all  think we on the left are all hippie welfare queens looking for a handout.

• Upvote 1

The political divide in this country is the widest I have ever seen in my lifetime, and anyone who was a Bush supporter thinks Lucifer himself is in there right now. So I don't see that gap closing anytime soon; talking to right-wing lunatics is like talking to the wall, and they all  think we on the left are all hippie welfare queens looking for a handout.

You give an excellent analysis of the American scene JaiDee. Your ability to explain what has happened is better than many journalists IMO. I like how you cut through the crap.

One of the differences between the US & other democratic countries is the way the right wing in America has been hi-jacked by a bunch of nutters. The problem isn't that they are on the conservative side of politics, it's that the right now represents the views of people who hold extreme agendas.

They talk about the loopy left in the UK. America has the loopy right. The bulk of the population is put off by hard line idealogues. Eventually the party espousing the extreme views gets dragged back to a sensible position simply because they become completely unelectable. Or that's the theory.

The Tea Party element of the GOP will destroy them if they continue to demand the party adheres to their policies. I don't know what it will take before the GOP decides to make themselves relevant again. But if they don't reform, they may well find themselves usurped by a new Green Party.

This happened in Europe & now in Australia. When the major left wing party moves to the middle ground, they cease being the party for all the tree huggers & conservationists. When it happened in Oz, we finished up with a very left wing Green Party who today hold the balance of power in the parliament (along with a few Independents).

It is very possible that the Republican Party finds themselves so out of favour with the public that they could become the number three party behind the Democrats & a new Green Party. Do not underestimate the appeal of the Greens with the youth. They have grown from nothing in Australia to polling 10% of the vote & growing. They have formed government in Germany, New Zealand & other democracies. America will be the last western country for them to invade but the imbalance in the US caused by the Republicans has opened the door very wide for them. And they won't have the baggage of bad leaders & discarded policies.

One of the differences between the US & other democratic countries is the way the right wing in America has been hi-jacked by a bunch of nutters. The problem isn't that they are on the conservative side of politics, it's that the right now represents the views of people who hold extreme agendas.

You are half right, its actually a bunch of nutters financed by a very small obscenely rich set of plutocrats (less than 100). Trace the money and it leads to American Heritage Foundation controlled by the Billionaire Koch brothers, and a few other think tanks.

These guys want to rollback/minimize environmental regulations, keep their taxes low (by creating loopholes), etc...

To do this they need to 'buy' congressman, so they created the Tea Party (1) and use their money to finance candidates that will serve their agenda. Moderate republicans are outspent and defeated at the primary level.

The real difference between the USA and others is we allow unlimited use of money.

Who else spends a billion dollars for an election ?

(1) It could be argues that the Tea Party was not created by the Koch brothers, but arose independently and was then co-opted. Regardless its a tool now.

Paccers, you have a good handle on what's going on in the states right now, more than even most Americans! Trust me, most people you stop on the street wouldn't know a TEA party from a house party and wouldn't know a republican from a democrat, and would certainly never know who the Koch brothers are; they are too busy watching Jersey Shore and catching up on the latest tweet from Kim Kardashian.

As I said, I have been living in this country for a half-century and have followed politics since I was about 16, just before Ronald Reagan came in. Never have I seen it so polarized, and those "right-wing nutters" you refer to; well, they all think WE on the left are nutters! And there is no telling either side any different, they just won't listen; it's like when little kids put their fingers in their ears and say "na na, na na na" and make loud noises so it won't get in.

Moderates like myself be damned.......you either firmly pick a side or you get left behind, seriously.  I used to listen to a guy named Howie Carr, a great writer for the Boston Herald who branched off into talk radio in the 90's. At first he was a moderate, and in fact only talked about local politics, with a special emphasis on crime; he was big on exposing Irish mafia boss Whitey Bulger and his politician brother. But then his station started playing Rush Limbaugh between 12 and 3, so now when he comes on from 3-7 he just carries on with that same nonsense and basically his show has become unlistenable for 50% of his potential audience, including me.

You mentioned the Greens, who have also made advances in Germany and some other Euro countries; I don't think they would get too far here, as the Democrats are pretty much all-inclusive for anyone left-of-center; the Occupy movement proved that. So they could maybe start a green party here, but it would pretty much just be an offshoot of the fringe elements of the democratic party and would be unlikely to stand on its own.  Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedy's fame ran as a green party candidate for mayor of San Francisco a few years back, so they do have a presence here but it's very small.

Snick said this;   ''Moderate republicans are outspent and defeated at the primary level.''

That's exactly what happened these past 3 years since the TEA party was formed; absolute lunatic freaks like Christine O'Donnell and Sharron Angle won their primaries, but got wiped out in the general elections because people started realizing "THAT may represent my state? I think not!"  Or how about those 2 asswipes Mourdoch and Akin, with their childish comments about how a woman can shut down a rape or how it's ''God's Will''  to have the child?  Missouri and Indiana residents were appalled that people so stupid may get to Washington to represent them, and they were thankfully and rightfully not voted in once the general elections came around.

Again, going back to Karl Rove; who ever thought "Bush's Brain" {?} would be considered a moderate?!!  But he is compared to these far-right wing whackjobs, and he is smart enough to know those losers from the TEA party,  Palin-backed fringes could never stand a chance in a general election. So now his super-pac is promoting only moderate republicans, people who actually have a chance to win, but I believe it's too late. The republican party is a shell of what it was under a unifier like Reagan, and has been splintered so many times by freakish fringe groups - gun nuts, anti-abortion nuts, climate change deniers, deeply religious christian whacko's in states no one cares about, etc..... that I think their future is very grim indeed. Thank goodness! 

post-107-0-18904900-1361204154_thumb.jpg

Nice signs, snick......these right-wing nutters always call people on the left "stupid" for voting for Barack, but it seems like most of 'em have an IQ set permanently at room temperature.

you may like these charts below.....wanna secede, red and southern states?  Go right ahead! PLEASE!!  You will be doing the states who actually produce shit and have some kind of a normal culture a huge favor.

Look at the last one.....some were sold already too, as in "having faith is a good thing, common sense = bad!"  Lets hang this in our house so all the other christian asswipes who come to visit us and watch NASCAR and listen to Rush will see just how stupid we are too!

post-107-0-06941000-1361207777_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-15104400-1361207861_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-13797700-1361207972_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-75629600-1361208003_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-84143900-1361208081_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

As I said, I have been living in this country for a half-century and have followed politics since I was about 16, just before Ronald Reagan came in. Never have I seen it so polarized, and those "right-wing nutters" you refer to; well, they all think WE on the left are nutters! 

Talk of a group of elites taking control of the Republican Party reminds me of the Bilderberg Group, that bunch of ex-politicians & kingmakers who allegedly run the world. Once they met in secret, today their annual meetings are a media event with film of them arriving at their meeting place shown on the 6 o'clock news. I guess the Koch Brothers have invited Rupert Murdoch into their midst, there's no other reason for his support of Fox News that I can see. Rupert might be crazy but he's not mad & it has always made me curious how he can rationalise his views with those of Fox.

But whoever controls the GOP matters naught if they are too unpopular to ever be elected. The Tea Party & all the bible thumping ratbags who support the conservative side of politics are only helping the Democrats. The latest win for Obama only confirms how out of touch the Republicans are.

As for the Greens, you are right for now, they don't have support to be anything more than a sideshow. But don't underestimate how popular they are with the young. And if the teachers of the children start banging on about climate change, these kids will grow up not wanting to support either major party. Kids don't want to see our planet destroyed, they don't want to see coal or uranium being used for power, they don't want to see whales hunted, they don't want trees cut down. And they will vote for anyone who promises to stop any of those things.

The Democrats can never move left enough, they might be the party for liberal thinking but they don't have enough appeal for the mindset of future "planet-savers".

If you want to see how bad it can get, try listening in to a conversation with a bunch of 10 year olds here in Oz. They will be voting in 8 years time & they will elect Santa Claus if they think he's the person to save them from all our wrongs. And if catches on in the US, watch out for how fast it can spread. One day the political landscape is the way it always was, the next, the lunatics are close to seizing the keys to the asylum. It happened here in a blink. Ignore the Greens at your peril.