Happy St Paddy's Day!

pdogg

There seems to be an inordinate amount of Irish and Irish Americans who like ladyboys for whatever reason.

Happy St Paddy's Day! :hi: :sick:

This year there'sgoing to be a St Paddy's Day Parade in Pattaya. Starts at Soi 4 and Beach Road at 1:30 PM and ends at Alcazar accorsing to the press release. Appropriate!

Happy Paddy's day to all the Irish FMs, whoever they may be. :bow: I read this today in one of the Irish dailies, it may strike a cord with some of you who are of Irish descent.

"Far from the epicentre, there will be thousands of smaller parades and parties as the particular "Irishness" of much of Irish America is on display. These are our people and for them, Ireland is not just a small country in the Atlantic experiencing some financial difficulties. Ireland for them is something much bigger. It is the mothership of a global tribe of which the Irish Americans are the main clan."

With the current situation in Japan the author could have chosen a more tasteful opening perhaps. Being a native myself, I don't know how it feels to be a few generations removed from the mothership. Maybe some thoughts from those of you whose ancestors are from the "auld sod" about how you feel about your heritage would be of interest.

Have a great parade in Pattaya boys by the way.

Erin Go Bragh, brahs! From an Irish American living in Japan.

(I'll see if I can't speak to BB's query later today...)

Irish American? I thought the surname McConaughey was Scottish. Oh well, guess it could be either. I just looked it up and in your case it is indeed an Irish name. Glory be.

I invite all my friends and acquaintances to join me in singing this song on such a great day of the year. I've never met more fine gentlemen from any one country as I have from Ireland.

Pak wan Lefty, and you have 2 of the finest with you just now in Jimslim and Ciobha. Karl used to play this song whenever he saw I was about to leave Ezy, to make me stay for another 1 or 4 lol. One of my favourite songs from Ezy, not familiar to most of you. It's about my small corner of this island I call home.

• Upvote 1

Here is one of the versions of the great Irish song, Whiskey in the Jar. This is a simpler version than some others and I sing it to my friend Janabiyah, at his request of course, when we are celebrating life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness at one of the local bars.

As a bonus, you get to see what Korat Air Base looked like at the peak of the Vietnam war. The extra audio at the end is not part of the song of course. Radio transmissions from back then.

Karl used to play this song whenever he saw I was about to leave Ezy, to make me stay for another 1 or 4 lol.

Very soothing, makes we want to put on a down jacket and walk across the river on the footbridge.

Karl certainly had a sixth sense when someone was about to leave and would shift to their personal playlist which often meant i get home at 6AM instead of 2AM.

Re a few generations away from the Mothership, the sad truth is we kind of forget as day to day life in our new home takes over, much the same as living in Thailand I start forgetting what life was like back in the USA.

But today's a great day for the wearing of the green. Rumour has it that some ladyboys on Soi 6/1 painted their tools green! They say there's only two types of people in the world, those who Irish and those who want to be Irish. Guess these girls with their giant green cocks want to be Irish!

And St Paddy's Day is lucky day for Ladyboy Review. Fcuk my arse without any butter, look how many new pics are on the website this March 17th! :drinks:

http://www.ladyboyreview.com/search/newest-nasty-profile-pics/

happy paddy's day to all my fellow gobshite friends. :rolleyes:

Thank you pigdogg for starting this thread. :hi:

Good to see you pop in here Sean! :D

Mayor Bloomberg was booed at New York's St Paddy's Day parade.

As the mayor marched, there was lingering displeasure at a recent ill-conceived mayoral joke about "totally inebriated" members of an Irish society.

Irish American? I thought the surname [ ] was Scottish.

Have you not seen me drink?

My clan's paterfamilias is straight reprazentin' Clooncagh, Strokestown, County Roscommon!

Maybe some thoughts from those of you whose ancestors are from the "auld sod" about how you feel about your heritage would be of interest.

My family had only heard rumors and second-hand stories of our clan back in Ireland and their general whereabouts. My mom always made some crappy Irish soda bread on St. Paddy's and we donned whatever green garb we had at the time, and that was the extent of my Irishness growing up.

But after graduating, while doing the usual European backpacking gig, when I knew I was gonna make it to Ireland, I called my mom back in the States, and she recommended sticking a postcard in the mail with our family name, a short message and, literally, the address above, with not a single number on it.

Well, I showed up in the general area, found out about a historical society, went there, and they said all those by that name were generally located all in one village not far away. Hitchhiked my way there, and the kind lady that drove me asked those we passed and I ended up on the doorstep of someone with the same name as me.

They took me in as if I was their prodigal son (they actually got the card!), and within the hour I was out in the field bailing hay. That very evening, on the way in to town, the locals would stop by the roadside and wave to me, "Hey, it's The Yank!", already knowing who I was. The proprietor of the local watering hole eventually went home that night and left us to close up, and I found myself freely able to go behind the bar and pour myself all the Guinness -- the nectar of the gods! -- my heart could desire, as we all sat around and told stories.

I spent the next week, meeting all the family and townsfolk, drawing family trees connecting us all, learning the local and family history, being regaled with story after story, cleaning my great grandmother's gravestone, etc. My family had been there for generations, all the family houses were clustered together, and what was now the shed of the paterfamilias' home was where my great great grandmother was born.

And yes, I sometimes found myself crying myself to sleep at night, overwhelmed by this experience, the kindness and generosity of these people who'd never even met or heard of me before, and this now sudden immensely-deep sense of belonging, of tradition and of a heritage of my own.

And two years later I had the honor of bringing my parents back, and introducing my own father to his own family and history.

There is so much more to the story, but suffice it to say, that from that time forward, I have bled green . . .

Slainte!

• Upvote 1