What Do You Find Frustrating In Pattaya?

pdogg

What grates on your nerves in Pattaya? Not talking about things of a sexual nature here but rather the small things that affect your inner peace.

For me, it's too many people combined with the lack of sidewalks.

Every year there's more and more people in Pattaya but the infrastructure hasn't changed much.

I'm used to packed Manhattan sidewalks but just too many people these days and i'm always looking over my shoulder to see if a moto is coming at me.

Yes, the packed sidewalks are an issue, but even moreso is the obliviousness of many of the tourists, especially the russians. Sloooowly walking 2 abreast on a sidewalk that only fits 2. Walking in the middle (slooooowly). Standing and talking or pointing or doing other things that don't involve briskly walking while in the middle of those sidewalks.

Drunken British louts. Mostly northern england (little England) lagger louts. Worse than the drunken russians by a country mile. Perhaps the most obnoxious tourists I've ever encountered. Most Brits are great, but these wankers give the entire nation a bad reputation.

Indian tailors. Need I say more?

• Upvote 1

Drunken British louts. Mostly northern england (little England) lagger louts. Worse than the drunken russians by a country mile. Perhaps the most obnoxious tourists I've ever encountered. Most Brits are great, but these wankers give the entire nation a bad reputation.

I neglected to mention that I fully expect some of you to feel the same about loudmouthed American twats; if so, I plead ignorance as I'm so used to it I probably just filter it out. Or maybe I'm one of 'em and thus don't recognize how obnoxious it is?

First off I would never live in downtown Pattaya. I have never been much of a city/town dweller always preferring to visit town than live in it.

So my frustrations with Pattaya are as a nocturnal visitor! Therefore I miss the 'experiences' of living downtown.

The thing that should frustrate me is lack of regulations - sidewalks just as an example.

Many times I park my car and the pasenger side door always scrapes the sidewalk. Ironically I also like the haphazardness of it all. I have learnt to walk in the road with caution. I generally 'touch park' - Parisian style.

Motorbikes who use up a whole car parking space. Thoughtless parking. "Reserved" spaces - normally with a chair/bucket etc - who are they reserving the space for?

The odour - Yes, Thailand is 3rd World but the stench in town can be overbearing.

Bloody tourists - the Russians are really making a reputation as obnoxious in the extreme - a lot of their problem is that they neither speak Thai nor English.

Loud mouthed beer swilling football supporters - not Thai.

Thai Time - I swear Thais cannot tell the time nor adhere to an appointment.

Street hawkers - actually I do not mind them - they are at least trying to make a living and not begging.

I have learnt not to moan but just smile - maybe I am going native.

For all the minor frustrations I like it BUT I prefer to live out of town. A number of guests over the last 6 years have all commented 'Same my village (Issan)' but only 13 Kms from Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldnt be Pattaya if any of whats been said in this thread changed.

Change it, you will pay the price as it will become more westernized and price's to suit. Someone has to pay to repair the foot paths, build new ones police the beggers ????

leave it. it wouldnt be the same if you changed it.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow I am heading to the sticks and have an appointment with my dreaded enemy, and perhaps the enemy of most civilised farangs in Thailand, the squat, hole in the ground toilet. Now some of you may argue that it is supposed to be more healthy to defecate in this position, perhaps so, but try telling that to the guy who loses his balance or shits into his pants from wrong posture while flies hover around and you try to avoid stepping in the previous persons crap. This ain't gonna be fun. :mad0235: