Three somewhat obscure movies, everyone should see

Lefty

I hope this sites servers are located in a neutral country. Things can leak, ask Mr Snow Den!

It wouldn't matter, the servers can be located anywhere, the NSA keeps tabs on everything on the net.

If anyone ever asks I will deny everything. In fact I will publicly withdraw my remarks right now. 

Just another crazy man posting under the influence....          :sign0181:

Very so-so movie but had some funny scenes......including Marky Mark Wahlberg hitting the bong with Ted talking about Boston girls.  And Milla Kunis is not exactly hard on the eyes.

I may have posted this clip before but it's worth seeing it and it's less than a minute;

Ted! I remember we talked about that movie before. I absolutely hated it but others disagreed. 

I saw a film recently that I liked more than I expected I would. Fading Gigolo by John Turturro. The plot is lame but it's very poignant. And a starring role by Woody Allan sees him steal the entire movie. The man is in his 70's & he's as funny in this as anything he's ever been in. A very subtle type of funny but a teenager who saw it thought he was "hilarious". I wouldn't go that far, sometimes I was laughing at him, not with him. 

There's a remarkable scene at the end of the film where John & Woody are talking about life & the camera comes in close & the look on Woody's face is just priceless. I can't explain it but I suddenly wished he will be around to make more movies like this. No one does the neurotic New York Jew like Woody. And he delivers his lines with a patter that no one can imitate. He is always full of doubt & second guessing himself but he does it with such style. 

Not a film for those who like action & zombies but a few of you might like it. 

St Jack

Well, it's probably time for me to put in my annual recommendation for "St Jack" with Ben Gazzara. It is difficult to find but well worth the effort for us lot hence this reminder... why?  It was filmed discreetly on location in pre-modern Singapore (while the government minders were distracted with the "filming" of a bogus script) & it is one of the only movies existing filmed on the streets of old Singapore, plus it's by a really good filmmaker not a hack (Bogdanovich).

It's about a Yank who runs a whorehouse & his various exploits. It occurs to me just now that Gazzara used to do films with Cassavetes that had large amounts of improvised dialogue & my guess is that this ability to think on his feet in character was a huge factor in being able to shoot this guerrilla style.

Another real historical bonus for us is that part of it was filmed on Bugis Street which in the 1970s was the premier katoey meet market for westerners in the East.

• Upvote 1

The Swedish director spoke well. And without seeing the other nominees I couldn't see Sugarman losing. It was the most feel-good documentary I have seen. The injustice of overlooked talent, years in the wilderness followed by spectacular redemption, you couldn't want more.

RIP Malik Bendjelloul.

1977-2014

RIP Malik Bendjelloul.

1977-2014

Damn, that's way too young. At least he secured a major achievement before he died. He will be remembered.

Vale Malik.

St Jack

Another real historical bonus for us is that part of it was filmed on Bugis Street which in the 1970s was the premier katoey meet market for westerners in the East.

Thanks for the reminder Hefe. I have fond memories of Bugis Street, I spent many nights there drinking with a bunch of mates. We were just bedazzled by the ladyboys who went there every night, I'm sure the girl they are talking to in the clip was among them. And the place was a magnet for tourists, there was almost nothing else to do in Singapore after dark. The stupidest thing the government ever did was bulldoze the place. But just like the Thais bulldozed Patpong, Asians don't take pride in their transgendered brethren. 

I have photos of some of the prettiest girls sitting at our table, once they knew we were around for a while they would stop by to chat. There was no such thing as ladydrinks in those days. There were maybe 10 or so drink vendors there & they competed for our business. Big bottles of Anchor & something else we used to drink. Maybe it was Tiger but I am not sure.

One night we went off to watch a "sex show". I had no idea where we were headed or what to expect. A crazy Scotsman called Jim had arranged it & no one was more excited than him. Exactly like that film clip we went to a private house where on a bed there were two Chinese girls. Or women more correctly. They were naked & played with some dildos. One of them spoke, she only knew one word of English - "enjoy". As her partner slid the dildo into her, she would say in a thick accent "enjoy". I have never forgotten it.

I found it very un-sexy, about as arousing as a cabbage leaf but Jim sure liked it. At one point the women started laughing hysterically, Jim had pulled his cock out & was waving it over the bed hoping to join the action. Nothing happened but Jim didn't care. He tucked himself away & laughing like a loon we all walked back to Bugis Street for more beer.

I sat there thinking "now I've seen it all". We had heard mythical stories of secret Asian sex shows but the reality was very disappointing. I was still to get to Bangkok where we discovered the world of sex clubs down back lanes with secret entrances & real sex. They were mind blowing by comparison. I sat there thinking whether I could be bothered to get it on with either of the women. I decided I would rather pass, the whole thing was seedy & not at all helped by the sight of Jim's erection. Ugh, beer, I need more beer.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

oh yeah, the Aristocrats is priceless. I have it on my external. I mean who can imagine from a film about ONE joke and all the ways it's told. Probably 20 comedians talking about it and and/or telling it. George Carlins version is terrific, but Gilbert Gottfreid had em almost falling out of their chairs telling it at a roast or something. Of all people, Bob Saget mighta told the raunchiest version. The talent in this is fabulous. From Phyllis Diller to Chuck Mc Cann. You'll see. 

For some reason, no conscious effort though on my part, I have never really gotten into Woody Allen. As I sit here, I cannot recall a movie of his that I've seen and would call memorable, or anything about him that I'd consider funny. 

For some reason, no conscious effort though on my part, I have never really gotten into Woody Allen. As I sit here, I cannot recall a movie of his that I've seen and would call memorable, or anything about him that I'd consider funny. 

I like Woody with Manhattan being my favorite film of his,

Of his more recent stuff, I  really enjoyed Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Well that is too bad Mr. Lefty. I guess you simply don't get it. This guy has touched many with his humour. He wrote for Sid Cesar and Mel Brooks. You can't get much funnier than those 3 in terms of American pop culture. Unlike tragedy, comedy is subjective. We giggle at different things. 

Very so-so movie but had some funny scenes......including Marky Mark Wahlberg hitting the bong with Ted talking about Boston girls.  And Milla Kunis is not exactly hard on the eyes.

I may have posted this clip before but it's worth seeing it and it's less than a minute;

Why is Seth Macfarlane such a bad film maker? He seems a bright guy who I thought did a good job hosting the Oscars. He has some serious claims as a comic guru with his two cartoon series, Family Guy & American Dad. They both employ wit & irony. 

However it all goes to hell when he tries to make a movie. Ted was not something I liked or could recommend. I won't slam it as hopeless because I know plenty of people liked it & we are all entitled to our own opinion. However, his latest effort A Million Ways to Die in the West is making news here for all the wrong reasons. It is being judged as "beyond terrible".

Typical comments refer to it as "puerile idiotic nonsense" that relies on the most crass & juvenile subjects for pathetic attempts at humour. Suffice to say opinion about the film here is scathing. On a popular review site here it has received 18 public reviews with 8 people rating it 0/5. In the ten years or so this site has existed I have only seen three or four zero reviews. That's total zero reviews, not the number for any one film. This marks a new low in the site's history. And there is one brave person who rated AMWTDITW 3.5/5 who makes the point that he thought it better than Wes Anderson's film The Grand Budapest Hotel. He destroyed his credibility right there.

I will never ever submit myself to this film. I endured Ted, this sounds like my worst nightmare. So I ask again, why can't Seth make a film without resorting to toilet jokes, racism dressed up as comedy & bad language. Comedy does not need to plumb the depths of disgusting behaviour. And does the next hotshot who gets to make a movie have to top this? I can't imagine how bad that will be.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the best film I have seen all year   -    CALVARY.

It's an Irish production written & directed by John Michael McDonagh. He previously made The Guard, another film I enjoyed very much. And he is the brother of Martin McDonagh, the guy who brought us In Bruges & Seven Psychopaths, two films that have been well received on this forum. And two films I also enjoyed very much. 

All of them have been completely gazzumped by this latest masterpiece. Brendan Gleeson plays the part of an Catholic priest who has to battle against the prejudice that has built up against the corruption exposed inside the church. But the film doesn't set out to attack the church, it effectively lays bare the moral dilemma faced by a good priest trying to do right by his parishioners, all of whom have issues with the church, while one of them has threatened to kill him.

There is some very black humour involved along with assorted moral hazards that keep the story moving towards the most enthralling conclusion I can ever recall. And having seen a lot of movies, that is really saying something.

And through the entire film Gleeson remains stoically in character delivering a note perfect performance. A popular review site already has posts calling for him to be given the next Best Actor Oscar. He will definitely be nominated, there's no way the Academy can ignore a performance of this magnitude. Daniel Day-Lewis could not have done better. 

What was most interesting for me was the clever way the Catholic Church gets completely belted over the head in this film yet by the end, they don't come out as being all bad. The film makes a clear distinction between the good & the bad sides of the church with some great scenes where certain people are told some very blunt truths. 

I am already considering seeing this again. I recommend it to anyone who yearns for a great movie experience. 

• Upvote 1

Yes indeed thanks much Khun Pacman...Looks like my kinda film...Unfortunately it doesn't release here in the States until late next month ((Aug 22 where I live)...It was apparently screened in January at Sundance but looks as if they are holding the release for Academy consideration...

Thanks for the heads up on this one paccie  :happy0065:

I will be most surprised if you don't enjoy this. At a time when the films being offered by the studios range from humourless comedies to Over The Top action films, this little gem stands out like a flower in the desert. 

Yes indeed thanks much Khun Pacman...Looks like my kinda film...Unfortunately it doesn't release here in the States until late next month ((Aug 22 where I live)...It was apparently screened in January at Sundance but looks as if they are holding the release for Academy consideration...

You're welcome. I thought of you when I when I was watching it. It IS your type of film & again, I will be shocked if you find no redeeming features in this production. And I suspect you're onto something when you mention Academy consideration. I have seen many prize winning films, most of which I did not enjoy anywhere near as much as I liked this. 

I am usually careful not to raise expectations about films I have seen. It often results in people feeling greatly let down & don't they love to remind one. But with Calvary I am happy to talk it up because any praise I give is tame compared to what others are saying.

2 quick diversions....

When i was at the University I got a job as a projectionist at the campus film society/ art house theatre. And this wasn't any film program as it turned out, but in it's day it was the largest student run film program in the US ( & it was in the midwest not So. California hard as that is to believe). My nascent interest in film got a big boost since I was seeing almost a dozen a week for a few years..... hog heaven for me. It not only ran deep, but it widened my idea of "good" films from the arty foreign ones I already knew to popular films I hadn't considered much at all: "spaghetti" westerns, 1950's "B" movies, I discovered John Ford (after mindlessly watching his stuff since childhood....), great docs, silents.

10 years later i was living in Park City Utah & volunteered for the Sundance Film Festival, they gave us a few passes for an hour or 2 of sorting ticket stubs of seen films into boxes. The tickets were good for several showings of each movie & after a while I realized that some of the tickets hadn't been marked as used so i was able to nick a whole bunch of passes for future showings of a bunch of films, saw some great stuff that week! (I moved later that year....)

Several years earlier, the very first night I moved to Utah I knew the festival was going on (it was either the last year of the US Film Festival or the first year of Sundance, I can't remember) so i high-tailed it to Main St taking in the scenery & mountain air & stopped at the tiny theatre that was showing a world premiere "Power" with Richard Gere. We were looking at the poster & chatting & then it struck me that the 3rd person on the sidewalk with us was none other than Sidney Lumet, one of my all time favorite directors (Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Network.... the list goes on & on). In those days the festival was hardly noticed so we were alone out there, the poster said it was his movie showing & he was nervously pacing & chain smoking. I didn't want to bug him so left for a drink. 

The next day I read the paper & apparently with his reputation & Gere in the movie the premiere was full of national critics. The projectionist accidently got the order of the reels mixed up & showed the film out of order thoroughly confusing everybody, a disaster. That's probably one reason you never heard of "Power". I often wondered if he already found out that the showing was fucked up when I saw him pacing & puffing outside in the cold mountain air that night.

• Upvote 2

Sidney, the poor bastard! Wouldn't that just drive you crazy! I don't know how anyone could know beforehand the reels were going to be played out of order, surely if they did they would have done something about it.

Another victim of gross incompetence. Sidney spends a year or two of his life making the film, some flunky on 10 bucks an hour stuffs it up for him.

Watched "Gravity" two nights ago and completely wasted 90 minutes of my life.....horrible, unbelievable nonsense and frankly the special effects were very amateurish. One of the worst movies I have ever seen, by far.  Probably because I usually refuse to view that kind of crap, but I was watching a friend's house and there was nothing else on.

Some critics say "oh, well you have to see it on IMAX." Really? A movie is good if it's good, not because it is good only on IMAX. See; Apocalypse Now, Inglorious Basterds, The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction,  etc....

As usual, your mileage may vary....some people seem to have loved it and it even got a 4-star rating on the tube, I have no idea how; for myself it was painful just waiting for it all to end.

• Upvote 1

Have to agree with you JaiDee. I tried watching "Gravity" months ago and gave up after 15 minutes. It was painfully boring, predictable and an absolute waste of time. Ditto for "Noah" watch I endured a few days ago. What cinema flotsam regardless of the viewing format. 

No way I could even try Noah, despite the fact I like Russell Crowe.

I like George Clooney also, but not even he could save the pathetic Gravity, which was really just he and Sandra Bullock floating around unrealistically on some phony-looking space station.

Too bad you shut it off Sam, you missed the heart-warming part where Sandra has a chat with the ghost of George and he cheers her on to somehow fly the only remaining capsule to the Chinese space station. A movie made for 12-year olds.