Three somewhat obscure movies, everyone should see

Lefty

Thanks for the heads up on this Lefty, it's on my radar now... those are all A-list names too.

Hope you're doing well buddy. :party0005:

That director has only done a few movies, but I figured anyone who likes In Bruges will like this one.

I am doing ok, hope you are as well. :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Motors.

Now that is one obscure movie. And totally weird. Devoid completely of any plot, it is a series of metaphors that will leave you wondering long after you leave the cinema.

It is a French production by Leos Carax. He has a reputation for making eccentric films. Eccentric doesn't begin to describe this film. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it. I don't pretend to understand it, all these little stories appear not to have anything in common, yet I was very satisfied at the end of the movie.

I don't know what that says about me but I loved it. As for recommending it, no I wouidn't. I think this film is too divisive. On review sites, there is a huge gulf between those who loved it & those who didn't get it. They thought it was shite. But the very things they complained about are the same things I thought were so clever. Clever? Hmmm, that probably is a poor choice of words, they were the things I found the most thought provoking.

I doubt this film is available anywhere in Asia, hell, it is only on here in one Art House cinema. It had some good press when it came out, since then I haven't seen a single reference to it. Definitely one for the cognoscenti.

If anyone has had the pleasure (?) to have watched it, I welcome their comments. BTW, it probably earned itself an X rating in the US, it is definitely for grown-ups.

I just read about a new movie that I think will suit discriminating gentlemen such as Kahuna and myself just fine. I'm sure some of you other fellows with good taste, such as El Hefe, may also enjoy it too. From the director of In Bruges, Martin McDonagh, the name of the movie is Seven Psychopaths. All Star cast with Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, and Colin Farrell leading the way.

Just saw a promo for this during Saturday Night Live last night, thought it looked fantastic! I tend to like anything with Sam Rockwell in it.

[media=]

[/media]

Hi Katana, thanks for posting

However, I'm not even going to watch this trailer, because I've got absolutely zero interest in chirpy, chavvie, arsehole, tough guy movies with a Cockney bent... All trashy style n' substance, played by illiterates with the tastes of a seemingly pre teen, bouncy castle, audience in mind.

That said, I've been both frantic & desperate to download the first ever incarnation of the Sweeney, a Thames television 1973 'Armchair Theatre' episode called 'Regan', which also became the pilot for the ongoing TV series & movies. It was up on Demonoid a year or so back, but the download petered out on me, (limited appeal, I suppose)?

Anyway, can you or anybody else out there give me any leads as to where I might find it? With the new renewed interest, it may just pop up again?

I downloaded all four series a few years back & I loved every single moment of it, typically piss poor British production values brought to you on a shoestring, being superbly portrayed by an incredibly believable, ensonble cast; although now very much dated, to my tastes, it was right up there with 'The Shield' or 'The Wire' or anyything else of its kind, for that matter... But the Yanks & Aussies here unfortunately just won't get it, I'm afraid (no disrespect meant lads).

BTW, for a really obscure 1960's London 'Gangster' film, that really does fit the bill; watch 'Villain' staring Richard Burton. It's the real deal, most honest & forthright representation of characters around at the time that I've ever seen. well worth a watch.

:hi:

• Upvote 1

Hi Katana, thanks for posting

However, I'm not even going to watch this trailer, because I've got absolutely zero interest in chirpy, chavvie, arsehole, tough guy movies with a Cockney bent... All trashy style n' substance, played by illiterates with the tastes of a seemingly pre teen, bouncy castle, audience in mind.

That said, I've been both frantic & desperate to download the first ever incarnation of the Sweeney, a Thames television 1973 'Armchair Theatre' episode called 'Regan', which also became the pilot for the ongoing TV series & movies. It was up on Demonoid a year or so back, but the download petered out on me, (limited appeal, I suppose)?

Anyway, can you or anybody else out there give me any leads as to where I might find it? With the new renewed interest, it may just pop up again?

I downloaded all four series a few years back & I loved every single moment of it, typically piss poor British production values brought to you on a shoestring, being superbly portrayed by an incredibly believable, ensonble cast; although now very much dated, to my tastes, it was right up there with 'The Shield' or 'The Wire' or anyything else of its kind, for that matter... But the Yanks & Aussies here unfortunately just won't get it, I'm afraid (no disrespect meant lads).

BTW, for a really obscure 1960's London 'Gangster' film, that really does fit the bill; watch 'Villain' staring Richard Burton. It's the real deal, most honest & forthright representation of characters around at the time that I've ever seen. well worth a watch.

Thanks Lung

+1 from me on that.I get what you're saying about these "Mockney" films,

Anyway ...this is what you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzbVZBV84CE

Parts 2 and 3 ,etc are on the right of the page.

Enjoy.

p.s.

I'm up in CM soon ,if you want to have a gallon.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Lung

+1 from me on that.I get what you're saying about these "Mockney" films,

Anyway ...this is what you want

Parts 2 and 3 ,etc are on the right of the page.

Enjoy.

p.s.

I'm up in CM soon ,if you want to have a gallon.

Oh man!!!.. Thanks Katana, I'm gonna give you a wheely, wheely, big hug & a kiss when you get up to CNX. :air_kiss:

I was looking for that for ages :innocent0001: , obviously the renewded interest has prompted some old fans to upload!! :party0011:

Do you need any help with getting accomodation sorted out?

How are you getting here? :skydive: I could maybe come collect you in the car if you've got loads of kit to lug around? :gamer4:. anyway, PM me your dates.

Just fancied a bit of an emoticon morning

Nice post lung....ive no interest either in a sweeney remake......those mockney gangsta films make me cringe.....there's some good reccomends on here tho'..............

Why thank you kindly, Willie! :air_kiss:

So glad you & Katana agree with me about the slew of glitzy, retard in a cheap, shiny, suit, cardboard cut out, gangster films that's been spewed out of London & the rest of the UK... Doesn't say very much for our culture, does it.

Anyway, as you say, there's some great recommends here & I'd love to post more often on these types of threads, but apart from lack of time, being the opinionated prat that I am, if anything, I've actually got a bit too much to say... So I tend not to.

• Upvote 1

Oh man!!!.. Thanks Katana, I'm gonna give you a wheely, wheely, big hug & a kiss when you get up to CNX. :air_kiss:

I was looking for that for ages :innocent0001: , obviously the renewded interest has prompted some old fans to upload!! :party0011:

Do you need any help with getting accomodation sorted out?

How are you getting here? :skydive: I could maybe come collect you in the car if you've got loads of kit to lug around? :gamer4:. anyway, PM me your dates.

Just fancied a bit of an emoticon morning

Uncle!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply.TOP MAN

No tongue!

Shagging palace and wanking chariot(bed) booked up.Free pick-up fromCNX airport,but thanks for the offer.

I arrive on October 7th. S/S/Shower ,and dinner's on me at my favourite "moo kata" place(N.E. corner of the moat).How's 8pm sound

I'll PM you with my mobile No.

Cheers again for that

Kat.

Uncle!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply.TOP MAN

No tongue!

Shagging palace and wanking chariot(bed) booked up.Free pick-up fromCNX airport,but thanks for the offer.

I arrive on October 7th. S/S/Shower ,and dinner's on me at my favourite "moo kata" place(N.E. corner of the moat).How's 8pm sound

I'll PM you with my mobile No.

Cheers again for that

Kat.

8.00pm's fine, I'll be wearing a brown suede trilby hat & a pink carnation ... But I think you may find that the Moo Kata place is on the North West corner of the moat (the airport end), at least that's the only one that I know of, apart from the hugge on the South East corner??

The North West corner of the moat is the one where the cunt in the fancy car took me out the other month!... No fuckin' film in the CCTV either, would you believe it!

My apologies in advance as well, I don't want to stray too far from our remit here (obscure movies) but I wanted to briefly mention that I saw The Master in 70mm last weekend. Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favorite directors, solely on the strength of Boogie Nights and Magnolia.

I can't say I'm certain how I felt, as sometimes true "art" escapes me upon first reveal, and it takes a while to really seep in. There were a few great moments, and the acting was incredibly strong, especially Philip Seymour Hoffman.

But my overall impression is that this movie was an exercise in nonsense, and truly "art for art's sake". I don't want to call it pretentious, but perhaps pointless would be a better word. Random. Dull. Uneventful.

After the one-two punch that was Boogie Nights and Magnolia, he's apparently decided to stop making fun enjoyable movies and instead go deeper and deeper down the rat hole of "art". Compare those two films with his subsequent works - Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood, and now The Master. In my opinion, there was more sheer unbridled artistic talent on view in the opening 15 minutes of Boogie Nights, or any other random 30 minutes in either film, than in all the 8 hours of the ensuing 3 films combined.

When will he return to making movies that can be loved by more than just the critics?

:sad0143::mad0245::sad0143::mad0245:

When will he return to making movies that can be loved by more than just the critics?

:sad0143::mad0245::sad0143::mad0245:

I realise your question is rhetorical but why worry? He won't keep making 'art' movies if nobody goes to see them. Or rather, he won't get the funding. And you infer that the critics & the public are mutually exclusive, as if no one agrees with what the critics like. That is an assumption that box office receipts don't support.

Though I acknowledge that the major studios can get a big audience for a load of crud thanks to their relentless promotion & advertising. It's in the area of Art movies that the cream gets the chance to rise to the top. And now The Master has been released, we'll soon see if it is going to fly.

I think the subject matter alone will drag in a crowd, it's made me curious enough to see it, I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is a wonderful actor who adds gravitas to anything he appears in. I do hope it isn't pointless & pretentious but if its only sin is to be an art film, I think I am in luck.

On the subject of obscure movies, I recently saw Beasts of the Southern Wild. Its about the strange inhabitants of the bayous of Louisiana & a young girl living with her father. It's another of those divisive art films that is either loved or loathed. Personally I rated it as one of the years best films.

DT might disown me over liking that film. I suggest he checks it out. With an open mind. :happy0148:

• 1 month later...

I finally caught up with the Farrelly Bros movie "The Three Stooges".

No masterpiece but I liked it. The three leads are OK, Curly is best portrayed, Moe is OK, Larry looks a bit young but he tries hard. But the very fact the actor playing him didn't quite fill Larry's shoes made the illusion of seeing the Stooges that much harder.

I appreciated how well rehearsed the scenes were. Great care was taken to recapture their brand of slapstick. The scene where they stumbled onto the stage & proceeded to hit, jab, whack, you get the picture, was punch perfect but it did feel like three guys mimicking the Stooges, it wasn't actually them. The stage scene goes on for what seems like minutes & it is choreographed to within an inch of its life. It's about the best scene in the movie & would stand as a comic masterpiece on its own merits but it was only ever going to be a homage, it wasn't going to surpass the original.

The use of their signature music was very nostalgic. I had forgotten it but it was a great help with the illusion. And their mannerisms, their walk, their reactions, they were all there & faithfully re-enacted.

I would rate the movie highly for effort in trying to replicate the original Stooges. The plot was nothing special but it was only there as a vehicle for the reason why the film was made in the first place. There are a few names among the cast - Larry David plays a nun, overacting but I guess he had to. Others I recognised were Sofia Vergara, Jane Lynch & Jennifer Hudson. They are OK.

Overall, the movie will appeal to fans but I doubt anyone else will get what the fuss is about.

Hangover 2. I concur. Two hours of my life I can't get back. With all the money the producers would have had available to produce something witty & meaningful, this was the best they could come up with?

I only went because it was set in Thailand & featured a naked LB. You would think there would be some rich material for humour in that lot but no, it was condescending & juvenile. They can make Hangovers 3 to 100 but I won't be going to see any of them.

• Upvote 1

Same same as pacman, worst POS I've seen all year. On another non obscure film the reports on the new Bond film are good.

From here to obscurity... tho not to real buffs, how about a Herzog festival?

Aguirre Wrath of God - simply one of my favorite movies ever, Kinski is a wonder

Fitzcarraldo - once you accept it's pace, it's. mesmerizing

Burden of Dreams - the doc (by Les Blank) about the tortuous making of Fitzcarraldo & the burden of obsession. "Of course it is worth losing a life to make a movie... that is what separates us from cows in the field...."

Sorry if I am getting too arty here :)

• Upvote 1

Don't apologise for being arty Hefe. The forum is a broad church that can handle a little high brow discussion.

I loved Fitzcarraldo, the movie that is. And Klaus Kinski is good on screen, especially as a mad man but he may not be acting. Plus he gave the world the beautiful Nastassja Kinski, the object of many a young man's fantasy.

I never saw Aguirre but after reading about it on Wikipedia combined with your praise, I will make an effort to correct that.

I could go on about Fitzcarraldo & what a good movie it is but I won't except for one story. The night I saw it, I took a long time GF with me. We had been on & off for years & it was time to piss or get off the pot.

When it finished, I remember the profound feeling of elation the film left me with. Walking to the car, she said to me "thank you for taking me to the most boring film ever" or something like that. I was shocked. I realised then that I couldn't live with such an attitude for the next 50 years & ended the relationship soon after.