Music, good or bad.

seven

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

below

These 4 questions will elicit different answers:

What's cool?     depends on who judges.   When i was a kid I liked disco (Bee Gees, Donna Summer, ...) but my circle of collegebound white mid-upper class boys had a hard rock dictatorship going (Bob Seeger, Led Zeppelin, Cheap Trick, Police, Ramones).  At the parties, while they all danced playing air guitar by themselves, I was trying disco steps with the girls (and would get called GAY for it!).  who was cooler?  Disco Rom?  or the rocker boys?  ... at the time they acted like they were...

What's popular?   when an artist, or a tune transcends its origins and goes global that's popular.  The Beatles and Abba achieved that.  Bob Marley, Elvis Michael Jackson had that.  To this day, their songs are being sung in all corners of the world.  The Led Zeppelin or The Clash or David Bowie are not. Sorry.  They are popular but local and more limited to their time.

What do the critics like?  They tend to like what everybody likes and shape people's perceptions along with theirs.  Occasionally they like more obscure bands but that's just them showing off.

What do you like?  Like everyone when I was young I found my niche cult bands that were Madness and The Cure and I dressed like them through the late 70s and mid 80s.  That did not stop me from liking all kinds of music like ABBA and disco and Rolling Stones.  I always thought Prince was a genius.  I try to keep up with modern pop /EDM but let's face it the thrill is gone.  These days find myself listening to Frank Sinatra a lot.

PS -  In reading what BMs are posting I find it odd no one is mentioning the British Bands of our youth like Duran Duran, OMD, U-2, Culture Club, Spandau Ballet, ...   Surely I am not the only BM who remembers those bands...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, The-Sith said:

most are doing it for the extra cash.

Kiss went on their last tour 2019......it was THE END OF THE ROAD TOUR. Their very final tour.

It's still going strong.

I agree with you. I haven't mentioned any specific names, but I've discovered many artists from the 1960s and 1970s on a radio station during the 1990s and 2000s. Later, I saw them appearing as guest stars on TV programs. The most striking aspect was how time seemed to stand still for some of their pathetic groupies.

Certain bands, like Madness, had us mesmerized back then. When their music video featuring the flying saxophonist aired during dinner, we teenagers would instantly abandon our meals, rushing to the living room despite our parents' protests. Fast forward to a few years ago when I saw another video. The lead singer looked like a corporate executive rushing from a board meeting and then heading back to soi Buakhao for a clique's meeting.

On the flip side, we had  a lesser-known artist, a humble-looking man who resembled an old-school nerd during the 1970s and was fairly famous for that. Yet, he became a beloved icon among the younger generation before his passing in 2018 at the ripe age of 94. He had always dreamt of stardom and, in his later years, managed to captivate a whole new audience with work and his enduring talent.

Charles Aznavour - Comme ils disent (1972) - YouTube

Comme ils disent (Live) - YouTube

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

These 4 questions will elicit different answers:

What's cool?

What's popular?

What do the critics like?

What do youlike?

Popular is usually NOT cool.

Critics mean shit because they pander to the masses. Critics are usually NOT cool.

"What do you like" is 100% relevant because music is SUBJECTIVE.

BUT.....music is also OBJECTIVE.

COOL is OBJECTIVE.

What counts as cool music can be objectively measured by the basic tenants of Rock n Roll:

"Progressive sounds (innovative music) that has some underground following that is fueled by the basic tenants of Rock n Roll;

1. Rebellion

2. Sex

3. Drugs

If you look at every single one of the groups listed by everyone on here..... whether it's the most white bread bubble gum like ABBA or the most decadent animals like Led Zeppelin or Sex Pistols....or the most intellectually stimulating like Pink Floyd........ all of the above apply. They brought a progressive sound foremost and it was laced with Sex and Drugs and sometimes rebellion.

ABBA especially and all those crazy wife swapping sex parties. Dancing Queen itself was about sexual liberation of a youthful teenage girl .... if posted on some of the LB Thai forums might be deleted because it's subject is only 17.

And even Led Zeppelin and ABBA one time went to a sex club together.

And every single one of these acts the same...progressive sounds with sex and drugs and rebellion..... just like Mozart too.

That's what cool is.

• Like 2

You perceive these songs differently, understanding the lyrics in English, while others in different countries might not grasp their meaning, as the melodies and instrumentation take precedence. For artists like Murray Head, the essence of the music lies in the rhythmic patterns and atmospheric qualities, which transcend language barriers, offering a unique experience even to those who don't understand the lyrics.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

What do youlike?

This is what it comes down to really. I like dad rock. My age shows and I'm fine with that.  Hate K-pop, EMD , so called DJ's of any kind, techno, thai karaoke and Taylor Swift. I know P Diddy is a huge Swift fan though.

I do like some 'newer' stuff such as Billie Eilish, Miley Cyrus, The Strokes, Oasis.

Its not easing being a music fan in Thailand unless you like endless cover versions of Hotel California, Another brick in the wall, Zombie etc etc.

13 hours ago, Rom said:

What's cool?     depends on who judges. 

Amen.

13 hours ago, Rom said:

Prince was a genius.

He sure was. 

18 hours ago, The-Sith said:

Rolling Stones suck shit in concert

Last year's gig was one of the best I've seen in ages. Seen the Stones 5 times I think, first one was Steel Wheels tour in early 90s. Last year's was hands down the best.  I couldn't believe how good these 80 years old guys were. 

The  previous tour in 2017 was lame and old. 

1 hour ago, The-Sith said:

Dancing Queen

Gay (Just kidding). I grew up in Sweden so this group didn't go by unnoticed.

I was never into the brit posers like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Madness or any other britpop. When I moved to the states these groups were huge though. Everything British was the shit and I couldn't understand it.

Pistols and The Clash was before this. Basically punk.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2023 at 5:09 PM, seven said:

the Beatles

On 11/7/2023 at 1:33 AM, seven said:

Bob Dylan

Another person's opinion.

https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-dylan-capitol-theatre-november-2023-review

Bob Dylan Delivers Another Stellar Show In Late-Career Resurgence At Capitol Theatre

I saw Bob Dylan at The Capitol Theatre on Wednesday, November 8, and it was an amazing experience, another terrific performance in a late-career resurgence. He’s 82 years old and performing like a madman on “The Never Ending Tour,” which Wikipedia says commenced on June 7, 1988 and has included about 100 shows a year ever since. Thousands of performances for decades, so maybe it’s not surprising that he has five in metro New York over the current two weeks.

...of all those artists Bob was by far the biggest influence and most important artist to me — but not just to me. I think Bob Dylan is the most important, influential artist of the modern rock and pop era, even above Sir Paul and the Beatles, who were singing “Love Me Do” before they started listening to Dylan. He altered the conception of what a rock song could be, he merged pop, rock, folk, blues and country to the point where the distinctions didn’t matter. 

bob-dylan-live-2023-padgett-1200x638.webp

• Like 2

Axl Rose of the band Guns N’ Roses was sued on Wednesday by a woman who accused him of dragging her by the hair, tying her up and raping her in a New York hotel in 1989.

The suit was filed in New York State Supreme Court, in Manhattan, by Sheila Kennedy, a former model who has appeared in Penthouse magazine. 

12 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

Axl Rose of the band Guns N’ Roses was sued on Wednesday by a woman who accused him of dragging her by the hair, tying her up and raping her in a New York hotel in 1989.

What a shocker. Steven Tyler of Aerosmith is being accused on a weekly basis now about things he did in the past. Even Bob was accused last year for something he did some 50 years ago. A judge threw that case out.

2 hours ago, seven said:

What a shocker. Steven Tyler of Aerosmith is being accused on a weekly basis now about things he did in the past. Even Bob was accused last year for something he did some 50 years ago. A judge threw that case out.

this is very much a reflection of the societal situation and legal situation of men.

The law is stacked against men.

Society is stacked against men.

It's not considered "manly" to point these emerging aspects of inequality out....... but that's a part of the problem. Sometimes things go so far..... you have to call it out.

Judge Kavanaugh of the US Supreme Court had to face the torture of a woman accusing him of 'jumping on her' during a college party decades earlier. It was brought up for the first time... at the most convenient and opportune time.... just as he was about to be appointed to the Supreme Court. It was 100% he said/she said....which of course it is decades later yet that met the bar to have that public circus..... in front of family and the world.

She cried on TV. It was an affront to all people who have legitimate claims - that are dealt with on their own merits - and not when it's a convenient time.

In most Western societies today, that's all it takes for arrest. No need to corroborate a statement..... if it's coming from the female. Whatever the female says against a male, that's the burden of proof.

So now these guys who are wealthy or powerful are "targets". Because society and the law has changed.

If it was true at the time..... then perhaps there would have been a claim at the time? or evidence at the time?

Yet today it just takes saying it and then the media covers it and it's assumed to be true by the law and the burden is on the male to disprove it....which is antithetical of what Western legal systems are about..... because the basic assumption of Western legal systems is that you are innocent and the burden of proof is on the accuser. That means that men do not have the recognition of a 'person' in the eyes of the law and the courts because every 'person' is suppose to be afforded "due process".

Again, i realize writing these things seem "unmanly" or "griping" or "uncool" or whatever. Yet I'm just pointing out something that has occurred in Western societies over the past 40 years.

Men are expendable.

And I'm not saying it's a big deal because it is the way it is...... what the fuck is anyone suppose to do about it????

..... but expect more ridiculous situations like Kavanaugh and more rock stars accusations and famous people accusations. Like that Aziz Ansari dude..... who is a funny comedian.......where a girl went to his home and let him lick her pussy yet she claims she didn't want it!!!!

..... and she admits she never said that to him and went a long with it......

........however she still went to media and claimed she got her pussy licked but in her mind....she didnt want it.......and they printed an article about it and his career got fucked for several years.

#MenToo

SmartSelect_20231123_154441_Google.jpg.91aa4c3e14d12e76298270b5df096878.jpg

SmartSelect_20231123_155304_Chrome.jpg.0d321cae34d7086d639e1b90f916536d.jpg

2 days ago it also happened to a Portuguese actor who was all but unknown outside Portugal but recently got a break in a Netflix series and Hollywood was calling.

Some lady sued him 17 years later and only 3 days before the legal perscription of the alleged crime.

Prior to the lawsuit she tried to shake him down for cash threatening otherwise she would sue and make fuss, which then she did.

Probably the guy will not be found guilty, but his budding acting career in America may now be compromised by the controversy.

In contrast it's a win-win for the woman who will get her name in the news and play twice the victim if nothing comes out of her allegations.

Also this week, the Vegas slut Cristiano Ronaldo fucked 10+ years ago and was PAID 300,000 USD for her silence saw her appeal to litigate him for ANAL rape DENIED.  Ronaldo has not been back to America since because he could risk some arrest warrant out of the blue...

A.M. Lukas sues actor Nuno Lopes for alleged rape in New York court

November 21, 20234:26 PM GMTUpdated 2 days ag
  • Summary
  • American filmmaker accuses Portuguese actor of rape
  • Lawsuit filed in New York under the Adult Survivors Act
  • The Act is set to expire after Thanksgiving on Thursday

LISBON, Nov 21 (Reuters) - American writer and filmmaker A.M. Lukas has accused "White Lines" actor Nuno Lopes of drugging and raping her in 2006, in a filing lodged just days before a one-year window to sue over historic sexual abuse expires.

Lopes denied any wrongdoing and said he would not be afraid to take legal action against anyone who tried to defame him.

"I would never drug anyone and I would never take advantage of a woman who was incapacitated, whether due to excessive alcohol or the influence of any other substances," he said in a statement on Tuesday. "Neither today nor 17 years ago."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The-Sith said:

this is very much a reflection of the societal situation and legal situation of men.

The law is stacked against men.

It's not considered "manly" to point these emerging aspects of inequality out....... but that's a part of the problem. Sometimes things go so far..... you have to call it out.

Judge Kavanaugh of the US Supreme Court had to face the torture of a woman accusing him of 'jumping on her' during a college party decades earlier. It was brought up for the first time... at the most convenient and opportune time.... just as he was about to be appointed to the Supreme Court. It was 100% he said/she said....which of course it is decades later yet that met the bar to have that public circus..... in front of family and the world.

She cried on TV. It was an affront to all people who have legitimate claims - that are dealt with on their own merits - and not when it's a convenient time.

In most Western societies today, that's all it takes for arrest. No need to corroborate a statement..... if it's coming from the female. Whatever the female says against a male, that's the burden of proof.

So now these guys who are wealthy or powerful are "targets". Because society and the law has changed.

If it was true at the time..... then perhaps there would have been a claim at the time? or evidence at the time?

Yet today it just takes saying it and then the media covers it and it's assumed to be true by the law and the burden is on the male to disprove it....which is antithetical of what Western legal systems are about..... because the basic assumption of Western legal systems is that you are innocent and the burden of proof is on the accuser. That means that men do not have the recognition of a 'person' in the eyes of the law and the courts because every 'person' is suppose to be afforded "due process".

Again, i realize writing these things seem "unmanly" or "griping" or "uncool" or whatever. Yet I'm just pointing out something that has occurred in Western societies over the past 40 years.

Men are expendable.

And I'm not saying it's a big deal because it is the way it is...... what the fuck is anyone suppose to do about it????

..... but expect more ridiculous situations like Kavanaugh and more rock stars accusations and famous people accusations. Like that Aziz Ansari dude..... who is a funny comedian.......where a girl went to his home and let him lick her pussy yet she claims she didn't want it!!!!

..... and she admits she never said that to him and went a long with it......

........however she still went to media and claimed she got her pussy licked but in her mind....she didnt want it.......and they printed an article about it and his career got fucked for several years.

#MenToo

SmartSelect_20231123_154441_Google.jpg.91aa4c3e14d12e76298270b5df096878.jpg

SmartSelect_20231123_155304_Chrome.jpg.0d321cae34d7086d639e1b90f916536d.jpg

holy shit SITH! Incredible prediction.....

Fresh off the presses.... this comes out hours after the post about expecting more of these.....

P Diddy.... for a alleged sexual assault 32 years ago in 1991.

News came out this afternoon!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sean-diddy-combs-accused-another-woman-sexual-assault-abuse-rcna126521

#MenToo

Screenshot_20231123_183716_Chrome.jpg.694f4cb98b9359459ea0c6a5eec51d0a.jpg

2 hours ago, The-Sith said:

I disagree. The society has been stacked against women for centuries and honestly I don't see that changing anytime soon given the way the far right is making making progress all over the world. Look at that shithead the just Argies elected. He's the latin version of Trump.

1 hour ago, Rom said:

Cristiano Ronaldo

He's doing fine in Saudi Arabia, don't worry about him. I don't believe for a second he's without guilt.

1 hour ago, seven said:

I disagree. The society has been stacked against women for centuries and honestly I don't see that changing anytime soon given the way the far right is making making progress all over the world. Look at that shithead the just Argies elected. He's the latin version of Trump.

He's doing fine in Saudi Arabia, don't worry about him. I don't believe for a second he's without guilt.

Dude..... this belief that "society is stacked against women" is the scam that got pulled on people who just believe everything they are told without question. Women.... pretty much ALL believe it. The vast majority of men also believe it.

I use to believe it too....it was what my schooling and tv and friends indoctinated me with and i never questioned it ever... so @seven honestly.... I don't blame you for believing that. Because we were ALL taught that.

And it's PARTIALLY TRUE. It is stacked against women. Not the law necessarily...but society for sure is stacked against women and especially the business community.

YET it misses the point that Society is stacked against men too in many very very important ways...and its completely stacked against men in the legal system (which is the point of reflecting on all these men being sued or charged with events decades ago)......

.....and everyone seems to overlooks these facts in society and the law. Pretty much all women overlook it and the vast majority of men overlook it.

Most people point to metrics like.... "Women get paid less and make 70% of the earnings of men". "Women politicians are only 20% of the total"..... and so on (I made these numbers up........but you know what I mean).

NOW LOOK AT THE MOST IMPORTANT METRIC. MEN LIVE 5 TO 9 YEARS LESS THAN WOMEN....depending on the nation. US is 6 years. Thailand is 9 years.

And look at these metrics I have posted below that contribute to that in the US.

These metrics are way more critical than a woman earning less than a man. And if you look away from these facts.... then you are just feeding the issue. Which I know.....we are ALL TRAINED to do.

Suicides. Deaths at work. Jail sentencing. Domestic Abuse. Homelessness and the resources that go to male homelessness vs female homelessness.

The result is Men live in more hardship and die earlier because men in societies are considered "expendable"

Again.... I know this sounds like "belly aching" or whatever..... but these numbers are serious. And the reason it sounds like belly aching is because we have all been trained to believe men are expendable..... we as men perpetuate these problems.... just like women also perpetuate their problems.

When men are killing themselves at 4x women and dying 6 to 9 years earlier... and men can be accused of anything by women in the media and in court just by uttering it....and men get 3x to 4x longer sentences for the same crime....... there is something seriously wrong.

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL MENS DAY EVERYONE........WHICH WAS THIS PAST SUNDAY.

Screenshot_20231120_055308_Reddit.jpg.88ed151f6a0059df1175e19b6fdb94c9.jpg

6 hours ago, Rom said:

2 days ago it also happened to a Portuguese actor who was all but unknown outside Portugal but recently got a break in a Netflix series and Hollywood was calling.

Some lady sued him 17 years later and only 3 days before the legal perscription of the alleged crime.

Prior to the lawsuit she tried to shake him down for cash threatening otherwise she would sue and make fuss, which then she did.

Probably the guy will not be found guilty, but his budding acting career in America may now be compromised by the controversy.

In contrast it's a win-win for the woman who will get her name in the news and play twice the victim if nothing comes out of her allegations.

Also this week, the Vegas slut Cristiano Ronaldo fucked 10+ years ago and was PAID 300,000 USD for her silence saw her appeal to litigate him for ANAL rape DENIED.  Ronaldo has not been back to America since because he could risk some arrest warrant out of the blue...

A.M. Lukas sues actor Nuno Lopes for alleged rape in New York court

November 21, 20234:26 PM GMTUpdated 2 days ag
  • Summary
  • American filmmaker accuses Portuguese actor of rape
  • Lawsuit filed in New York under the Adult Survivors Act
  • The Act is set to expire after Thanksgiving on Thursday

LISBON, Nov 21 (Reuters) - American writer and filmmaker A.M. Lukas has accused "White Lines" actor Nuno Lopes of drugging and raping her in 2006, in a filing lodged just days before a one-year window to sue over historic sexual abuse expires.

Lopes denied any wrongdoing and said he would not be afraid to take legal action against anyone who tried to defame him.

"I would never drug anyone and I would never take advantage of a woman who was incapacitated, whether due to excessive alcohol or the influence of any other substances," he said in a statement on Tuesday. "Neither today nor 17 years ago."

5 hours ago, The-Sith said:

Dude..... this belief that "society is stacked against women" is the scam that got pulled on people who just believe everything they are told without question. Women.... pretty much ALL believe it. The vast majority of men also believe it.

I use to believe it too....it was what my schooling and tv and friends indoctinated me with and i never questioned it ever... so @seven honestly.... I don't blame you for believing that. Because we were ALL taught that.

And it's PARTIALLY TRUE. It is stacked against women. Not the law necessarily...but society for sure is stacked against women and especially the business community.

YET it misses the point that Society is stacked against men too in many very very important ways...and its completely stacked against men in the legal system (which is the point of reflecting on all these men being sued or charged with events decades ago)......

.....and everyone seems to overlooks these facts in society and the law. Pretty much all women overlook it and the vast majority of men overlook it.

Most people point to metrics like.... "Women get paid less and make 70% of the earnings of men". "Women politicians are only 20% of the total"..... and so on (I made these numbers up........but you know what I mean).

NOW LOOK AT THE MOST IMPORTANT METRIC. MEN LIVE 5 TO 9 YEARS LESS THAN WOMEN....depending on the nation. US is 6 years. Thailand is 9 years.

And look at these metrics I have posted below that contribute to that in the US.

These metrics are way more critical than a woman earning less than a man. And if you look away from these facts.... then you are just feeding the issue. Which I know.....we are ALL TRAINED to do.

Suicides. Deaths at work. Jail sentencing. Domestic Abuse. Homelessness and the resources that go to male homelessness vs female homelessness.

The result is Men live in more hardship and die earlier because men in societies are considered "expendable"

Again.... I know this sounds like "belly aching" or whatever..... but these numbers are serious. And the reason it sounds like belly aching is because we have all been trained to believe men are expendable..... we as men perpetuate these problems.... just like women also perpetuate their problems.

When men are killing themselves at 4x women and dying 6 to 9 years earlier... and men can be accused of anything by women in the media and in court just by uttering it....and men get 3x to 4x longer sentences for the same crime....... there is something seriously wrong.

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL MENS DAY EVERYONE........WHICH WAS THIS PAST SUNDAY.

Screenshot_20231120_055308_Reddit.jpg.88ed151f6a0059df1175e19b6fdb94c9.jpg

Always have video and audio...........then spring on the judge with her sucking your cock and telling you how she loves it..........that will shut her up!!!!!!!!

• Like 1