Moving to Pattaya-Finding the Perfect Condo Deal

duke007

19 hours ago, duke007 said:

IMG_20201227_123128.jpg

Excellent video and endorse his best practices.  I picked the brains of quite a few Pattaya real estate agents so am better informed about the buying process than I was six months ago. I also will avoid off plan (pre-sale) condos especially in these turbulent times. I rented for a month (while I still had another place) in a condo block I'm especially interested in and networked within the building so now have a much better sense of the pros and cons of that building.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/25/2021 at 3:12 AM, ciobha said:

All pretty nice condos, but wayyyyy over priced. Obviously hoping to tap into the farang with more money than brains market.

Absolutely Ciobha!  Without a doubt these asking prices are not realistic.   For example the asking price for a 44 sqm 1 bedroom unit at City Garden Tower in the video is 28K.   It's a nice new building but on the wrong side of 3rd Road.

Looking on Facebook right now, there is a 44 sqm 1 bedroom unit in the very well maintained Avenue Residence at a much better Soi 15 location for 12K.  That's a fair enough rent but even at that price it will probably have no takers given the total lack of demand.  

In order to get a new tenant, landlords have to go really low.  Some existing tenants who like where they are, don't want to play hardball with their landlord, and don't want to move might not care about the getting a rock bottom price though.   I'm in that category and plan to renew my present lease because the price is quite reasonable and there are some unique characteristics to my building. 

To give you an idea how low prices can get the Facebook listing below is for a quite nice condo with a gym and pool for just 5K.  Location leaves a bit to be desired being behind Jomty 2nd Road and best for someone who takes their motorbike everywhere.   The area behind 2nd Road is extremely challenging to rent as there are many similar units in more or less the same area. 

WOW Amazon one bedroom 5000 THB 
For rent :Amazon condo
One bedroom one Bathrooms
35 sq.m
City view
For  Rent  5000/m one year contract

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The CCR is one of the most cost effective options for the Central Pattaya monger.  Quite the impressive project. It's on the wrong side of 3rd Road which makes it cheaper yet a short stroll to Soi Pothole.  Clientele tend to be party animals, lager louts and Nightwish managers.  There were reports of pissed up guys urinating in the hallway.  Just saw a one bedroom listed there for 8K per month.   At that price a good choice as a pied a tiere for Bangkokians.  

ccr.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, duke007 said:

The Edge

Was quite interesting to see the Edge (above).  The unit owners are overwhelming Chinese.

Robin Hood has a good 99 baht brekkie but as Lucas is an early riser he doesn't point out that breakfast ends there at about 11:30 AM.  The Hideaway and Cheap Charlies serve breakfast until the kitchen closes.

Is there really any point in doing these type of videos right now though? The prices are all clearly covid related, and anybody contemplating moving here on a tight budget is going to get a nasty shock when they start picking up again. Personally, I'm going through all the pre-covid clips trying to find out the sort of prices which are typical - even the stronger baht needs to be viewed with some suspicion.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Laawman said:

Is there really any point in doing these type of videos right now though? The prices are all clearly covid related, and anybody contemplating moving here on a tight budget is going to get a nasty shock when they start picking up again. Personally, I'm going through all the pre-covid clips trying to find out the sort of prices which are typical - even the stronger baht needs to be viewed with some suspicion.

Fair point but is some cases you might be able to lock the rent for a year or so. I haven't looked close enough though as Thailand is off limits for at least 6 more months, at least in the way the majority of  BMs here want to access it. Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

Looks like Lucas found lots of space in Pratumnak for 20K a month.  It's a great place to live if you're not going out to Buakhao every night.   He got a great price!

Where's he's going to live, he can take his bike to the top of hill and then grab a baht bus if he doesn't want to get nabbed for drunk driving.  Or he could walk along Dongtan to the baht bus and on return walk down the hill or Bolt it home.  Or he could just walk and grab a quiet drink in a bar without bargirls or at the Pratumnak 7/11 overlooking the sea.

It's way more space than he needs but guess he could have an office, use one room for junk, one room for Buddha or even rent out some rooms.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20211027_194004.jpg

5000 baht a month for a condo with a great gym and lagoon style pool ain't bad!

What's the catch?  No catch, its all about Adam Smith's Invisible Hand although at 27 sqm the rooms are small and the location behind Jomty 2nd Road means you most probably will want a motorbike. Note this would be for 6 months minimum.

If this were in Hawaii the rent would be more than 5000 baht a night.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...