Why do some farangs use high pitched nasal tone?

Quietguy

I always notice that some usually older English guys speak in a higher pitched nasal tones when speaking to Thai ggs. Guys talking to ladyboys don't do that.

Perhaps they think they sound more Thai and the Thai ggs will understand them better. The Thai ggs understand normal spoken English just as well.

It seems rather rude and condescending to me, and as if they have sinus problem.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I always notice that some usually older English guys speak in a higher pitched nasal tones when speaking to Thai ggs.

Interesting observation QG.  Thinking about it, I might do that when talking to my girlfriend (ladyboy).   It's kind of like baby talk.  I'm just sort of parroting back the way she talks to me.  

• Like 1

Such functional voice disorder is scientifically known as "Puberphonia" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puberphonia) and its causes may be organic or psychogenic.

In the course of my own Pattaya research on the subject, I have developed the thesis that sissy-chasing Brits unconsciously raise their pitch in the presence of effeminate Thai  boys as a manifestation of their excessive admiration for another male and as an upfront signal that they are ready to assume the passive role in a prospective copulation.   I find it all quite amusing except when they raise their pitch in my presence in what I can only see as unwelcome sexual advances from Her Majesty's finest.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 6:13 PM, Quietguy said:

normal spoken English just as well

I guess a bit OT as not talking about pitch or GG vs LB but I will dumb down my English. My goal is to be understood and have some sort of conversation.

In ladyboy bars recently, I haven't been using a high pitched nasal tone though.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Quietguy said:

I'm told Bumblebee did raise this some years back.

I first read this as “raise his voice” initially :)   Can’t recall to be honest but I know what you mean about this particular sounds.  I find myself doing it jokingly when saying “helllllooooo” some times to a ladyboy I have known for a long time.  It can be amusing at times when I hear a guy speaking pidgin English in a raised voice, to a ladyboy who obviously speaks fairly good English.  In her mind it must come across as a tad condescending. 

• Like 1