one night in Bangkok (as per Murray Head song)

globetrotter

After spending a month plus in Pattaya and coming here for just one night before I fly home I was completely underwhelmed by what is on offer especially considering the prices in comparison to Pattaya , Nana plaza IMO totally overrated and way overpriced not to mention the drink pressure and superstar attitude , and CIB same same , Chaos 9 sorry but maybe a bad night but talent very much lacking , and freelancer scene on soi 4 give me the coconut bar any day , I am so glad I only chose to spend one night here

• Upvote 3

Perhaps wrong timing Globe, for example if you had been in the CIB from the 2nd April for the start of the 3 night mayhem that occured in the Bar you would have witnessed bar tabs of 20,000 Baht +  and heard "bell rings" galore, did you get to Patpong in the end?

Find Cartun and go out with a Bang  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Regardless of what anyone has to say negatively about Bangkok, one night there is undoubtedly worth 365 nights elsewhere for most of us elsewhere. At least for me.   

Surely Canada aint that bad Sam?  :blink: ,  

The days when I would not think twice about hopping on a bus from Pattaya to spend either a night or two in Bangkok and then come back to Pattaya have gone, it has lost its mojo for me personally, each to their own I guess  :hi:

Surely Canada aint that bad Sam?  :blink: ,  

The days when I would not think twice about hopping on a bus from Pattaya to spend either a night or two in Bangkok and then come back to Pattaya have gone, it has lost its mojo for me personally, each to their own I guess  :hi:

Me too especially now that Darkside is

long gone

Over the last couple of years I have had about 10 or so 1-3 night stays in BKK coming and going through Thailand.  There is no question that the vibrant scene of as recently as 4 or 5 years ago is significantly downsized.  It's not just a matter of catching an off night.

This situation has made me change my long-followed operating procedure.  If I can have at least 3 nights in Thailand before having to head back to Suvarnabhumi I will grab a taxi and go directly to Pattaya, and then return to the airport directly from Pattaya.  Only if I have just a night or two between flights will I stay in BKK.  It used to be that I would gladly spend up to 5 nights in BKK.  No more.

The soi 4 scene is busy with tourists, but not necessarily the tourists who monger in bars.  The new Hooters on soi 4 has even more street-side seating than the Golden Bar it replaces, but that comes at a price - 150 baht for a beer.  Yet, it is fairly busy.  I think this is a further sign of the "soi Cowboyification" of soi 4 in the Nana Plaza area.  Many tourists, many couples, taking in the naughty sights as part of their vacation. 

But, with fewer and fewer serious customers, the freelance scene is less than half of what it used to be.  I've spent several evenings in a favorite spot, Balcony Bar above the entrance to Nana Plaza, and not only is there reduced traffic of people into NEP, but many of the people are clearly in groups out for just a giggle and a gawk - not serious players.  It's no surprise that there are fewer girls working the bars in NEP.

• Upvote 3

one bar i did hear about albiet way too late was   called  Tattoo soi 8 nana , an incredibly sexy and passable lb told me as i was sitting Mc Donalds    soi 5 where he was freelancing, unfortunately i was just about to hop onto bts to arport, she said there is  one other very tall lb  working there as well, wish i would have known the night before 

I avoid as hell myself the "shopping area" Nana and surroundings myself...irritating is my word to describe them.

But Bkk is huge as its lb scene out of the p4p scene. Leaving for Bkk next week i am not leaving for other places. Tired of screaming silly lbs in the bar, you need time and patience and a good pair of shoes to beat the path of non beaten path..but once you enter into it...never leave it.

but you need time...1 day is not enough and 1 life is not sufficient to enjoy it

• Upvote 1