Lamenting lost luggage

globetrotter

This happened to me this trip and PD suggested I start a thread about it, as anyways I flew into Bkk after a very long flight from Yvr and the plan for months was always to catch first Bell bus from Swampy to Pattaya, so cleared customs /immigration, changed some money and waited not too patiently at luggage carousel for my bag to emerge when it didn't I started to get anxious to say the least, anyways went to China Airlines desk and of course I showed them my luggage tag and they just looked at me with a blank stare, hardly reassuring, anyways, then I found myself in a dilemma I didn't expect, should I stay in Bangkok till my bag is found or go onto to Pattaya right away as planned, anyways I decided that I really didn't want to stay in Bangkok, but realized it probably made more sense under the circumstances, but caught the bus checked into hotel and next morning tried to call the Airlines office at Swampy and got no answer (I should have stayed in Bangkok dammit!! ) I had only the shirt on my back and shorts I was wearing, nothing else and I am on the bigger side so finding stuff locally isn't easy by any means, no toiletries either and as I mentioned in another thread had to buy crappy 7-11 razor and proceeded to cut the shit out of my face, bleeding like a SOB, the end of a great day :), went on LaBamba Bar party in said not so fresh clothing and hoped no-one would be put off by the scent of my duds, anyways ended up getting my bag on Tuesday afternoon thank God, has anyone else been in this situation?

• Upvote 2

I have had my luggage lost once on the way to LOS - over the 35+ trips I've done. That's pretty lucky - however on the way back I've to where I work in the Arabia Gulf I've had my luggage delayed 4 times - part of the problem being going through Dubai with a short connection time.

The key to taking care of delayed/lost luggage is to go to the Airport Baggage Services office and not to the airline's office. The Airport Baggage Services serve all the airlines luggage issues and will make it easier for you to get things settled and arranged. I have had some damage to my luggage which was repaired on a couple of trips to LOS. (cracks/broken wheels on hard sided luggage).

Glad to hear your problems were resolved globetrotter - airlines are also supposed to pay for any items you have to buy (clothes, toiletries, etc) - up to a specified limit. 

• Upvote 2

a missing luggage is more frequent than we may think...doesn't matter the company...lufthansa in europe is a frequent missing bag company...related to my job i see so many tourists with a missing bag.

Things to do are:

- keep calm

- give your address ( so next time go straight to Pattaya and do not stay in Bkk ) they will deliver it to Pattaya ( they have to )

- go to any shopping mall and buy things of first necessity ( deodorant, shaving foam, razors, shirts...Pijama etc etc. ) keep the receipt and they have to refund it till a reasonable amount ( usually within the return in 48 hours around 50/70 euros...after the 48 hours you have something like 30 euros per day )

- if the luggage is damaged they have to replace it..so take a pic or show them the damaged bag...they will give you another one )

• Upvote 2

Being paranoid of lost luggage I put one set of warm weather clothes in my carry on. I buy most all of my toiletries at 7-11 anyway although I did bring razors this time. But luckily so far all this preparation has been unnecessary.

I've had the lost luggage nightmare happen to me a few times. The worse was in Tokyo. I did not get my bag for 3 days and when it finally arrived it was a mess. The clothes were stained and when I tried to get an explanation I was talked around in circles. I finally gave up. 

Interestingly enough I just arrived back home tonight from Denmark with a connection through London. My one bag had a PRIORITY tag attached and that usually means it comes shooting out to the carrousel quickly. It didn't. My flight was a completely full Boeing 777 so lots of people and lots of bags. I waited an HOUR!!!! I was convinced they misplaced it. Then I saw it. It was literally the 3rd last bag to arrive. I was steaming mad up grateful it arrived. 

Anyway, gripe, gripe, gripe.  :biggrin: